1996 Subaru Impreza

Based on 261 Ratings for the 1993 - 2001 models.

if only they built more cars like this

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"in 2000, i searched for almost 2 months for my 4-dr blue 5-speed 2.5rs...it was worth the search now i think about it. they didn't make a lot of these 4-dr blue rs back then...so i search almost the entire state of california for it...when i finally found one in the south, i didn't think and just grabbed it. i still think it is the coolest looking design for this car...most importantly, i have over 148k miles on it and only regular maintenance and a new clutch, brakes, etc. i am sad i just have to sell it as i don't drive it much anymore. i will definitely miss it. but i have photos to keep at the very least."

Subarus are the greatest automobiles. Great value.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

"This is the third Subaru I have owned. I just love these cars. Very reliable."

Little AWD Beast

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "driving excitement, versatility, AWD, practicality"

Cons: "fuel economy, road noise"

"I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback, and have for a little more than eight months. It's been an excellent car. Except for a slight oil leak onto the engine manifold that leads to a smell at idle, the car has been perfectly reliable. The fuel economy and the ride quality are the only downsides so far. I get about 22 MPG in mixed driving, and have never got above 26 MPG even on long trips. This is decent, but I can see why these weren't more popular when they came out: fuel economy matters. Some of the plastic bits are rattly and, with the bad roads, I generally have to raise my voice to be heard at highway speeds. I have some excellent 80k-rated Michelin tires, but these have added to the road noise. I bought the car from a used dealer for about $1k less than the KBB excellent rating. It needed some rust work and a new strut tower, but besides that, this has been an excellent, gutsy little car. Is it really an offroader? No, it's a subcompact, but I've literally climbed mountains in it. It's a little cramped in the back seat, but the cargo room is great. On my twice-annual cross-continental college odyssey it performs excellently. A great first car."

My first car, best I will ever own.

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Excellent build quality, great engine"

Cons: "Small, Not enough leg room"

"I bought this vehicle used, and have owned it for over 8 years now. Considering it was already 10 years old; I have had to do very little maintenance besides tires and brakes. Very reliable, never had a break down. Great car, fun to drive. Never had any engine problems. The design is great, although it could give the driver a bit more leg room. I am six feet tall, and feel a bit cramped when I drive it. Have had a few plastic parts break on the interior, but besides that, no complaints! My first car, and the best car I will ever own."

Great car!

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "very small"

"I just recently hit 193K miles and my motor took a dump. I've had this car for 5 years and it was given to me by my mom for my birthday and she had it for 6 years prior to that. I love this little car and wish I had the money to buy a new Subaru!"