1996 Subaru Impreza

Based on 261 Ratings for the 1993 - 2001 models.

Beyond Incredible!!!

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "NEVER breaks down and great mileage!"

"Going on 350K and still running strong! Most incredible car I have ever owned. I can't recomend it enough! Best car on the market!!"

Awesome Subaru!!!! Second Subi I've owned!!

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Handles like a dream, quick, and stylish."

Cons: "Interior could be a little more nicer."

"I bought this 200 Impreza RS 2.5 in December 2011. I paid $6500 for it with just over 93K on the odometer. I have always wanted this specific model Subaru, but could never find one in decent condition for a good price. I previously owned a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT (Turbo), and loved it as well, but I wanted the RS 2.5. I have no complaints about this car. It will run on regular unleaded gas, but I choose to put midgrade unleaded in it just to take care of the engine. I've been able to get 360 miles out of one tank of gas on city driving (mostly highway miles). This is probably the most reliable car I have ever owned and for being an N/A car, it gets up and goes when needed! My only complaint is that Subaru could have splurged a bit more with the interior as the seats are of a cheap cloth material. But that will change when I swap in a set of WRX seats. Awesome car!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Absolutely the best car I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pros: "All of the above."

Cons: "none!"

"Reliable, sturdy, good fuel mileage (24+ MPG in town), no major problems, plenty of power and pick-up, drives very well, excellent breaking, smooth automatic transmission and good visibility all around."

good car but pricing is not fair

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Awesome car handles corners great"

Cons: "Not really any cons"

"I think these cars should be priced higher. We the people that own subarus. know that these cars keep going and going."

I love my subaru

By on Monday, November 30, 2009

"I've owned the impreza for 12 years. It is the most dependable car I've ever owned. It takes me skiing no problem - the all wheel drive is terrific. I can't believe after 12 years that it has retained value as well as it has. Over the 12 years I've owned it it cost me $1,200 per year (purchase price less current value)."

if only they built more cars like this

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"in 2000, i searched for almost 2 months for my 4-dr blue 5-speed 2.5rs...it was worth the search now i think about it. they didn't make a lot of these 4-dr blue rs back then...so i search almost the entire state of california for it...when i finally found one in the south, i didn't think and just grabbed it. i still think it is the coolest looking design for this car...most importantly, i have over 148k miles on it and only regular maintenance and a new clutch, brakes, etc. i am sad i just have to sell it as i don't drive it much anymore. i will definitely miss it. but i have photos to keep at the very least."

Subarus are the greatest automobiles. Great value.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

"This is the third Subaru I have owned. I just love these cars. Very reliable."

Little AWD Beast

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "driving excitement, versatility, AWD, practicality"

Cons: "fuel economy, road noise"

"I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback, and have for a little more than eight months. It's been an excellent car. Except for a slight oil leak onto the engine manifold that leads to a smell at idle, the car has been perfectly reliable. The fuel economy and the ride quality are the only downsides so far. I get about 22 MPG in mixed driving, and have never got above 26 MPG even on long trips. This is decent, but I can see why these weren't more popular when they came out: fuel economy matters. Some of the plastic bits are rattly and, with the bad roads, I generally have to raise my voice to be heard at highway speeds. I have some excellent 80k-rated Michelin tires, but these have added to the road noise. I bought the car from a used dealer for about $1k less than the KBB excellent rating. It needed some rust work and a new strut tower, but besides that, this has been an excellent, gutsy little car. Is it really an offroader? No, it's a subcompact, but I've literally climbed mountains in it. It's a little cramped in the back seat, but the cargo room is great. On my twice-annual cross-continental college odyssey it performs excellently. A great first car."

My first car, best I will ever own.

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Excellent build quality, great engine"

Cons: "Small, Not enough leg room"

"I bought this vehicle used, and have owned it for over 8 years now. Considering it was already 10 years old; I have had to do very little maintenance besides tires and brakes. Very reliable, never had a break down. Great car, fun to drive. Never had any engine problems. The design is great, although it could give the driver a bit more leg room. I am six feet tall, and feel a bit cramped when I drive it. Have had a few plastic parts break on the interior, but besides that, no complaints! My first car, and the best car I will ever own."

Great car!

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "very small"

"I just recently hit 193K miles and my motor took a dump. I've had this car for 5 years and it was given to me by my mom for my birthday and she had it for 6 years prior to that. I love this little car and wish I had the money to buy a new Subaru!"

Great little hatchback

By on Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Its amazing what you can pack in this car. Our family of three has gone on many camping adventures, packed to the gills, canoe strapped to the roof, and it has never let us down. Nice to have the AWD in the snow and when the roads are wet and slick here in the Pacific Northwest. We are at 115000 and have never had more than routine maintenance needed."

'95 Impreza: Simply Good

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I own this '95 Impreza L AWD, Auto, with 2.2L for about 6 months. This is simply a great and reliable car. My observed fuel economy is 22 mph city and 29 mpg highway. The AWD is great. It's not as unstoppable as, say, a Jeep Cherokee, but it'll get you out from sticky situations 99% of the time. I often drive to work at 5am before the roads are plowed and this car drives thru 5" of snow with no problem. There were 3 problems that came with the car at the time of purchase: (1) Leaky RF axle bearing seal (2) Defective knock sensor (causing hesitation) (3) Defective coolant temp sensor (prevent engine from starting). All are fixed now. Comfort level is just OK, certainly not up to par with the newest compact cars, but no complaint for daily driver and freeway driving under 4 hours. The only thing I wish to have in this car is a 5-speed manual."

1997 OB Sport

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"The heater core went bad at 40K, but that was it. 180K on it now, and it has been through lots of ice and snow and salt with no complaints. Still looks pretty too. I've just put routine upkeep into it. It is very easy to work on and modify! Driver's seat was not at all comfortable for 6h+ drives, so I put in one from a Legacy. The gas mileage has always been low- 22mpg at 80mph, 28 at 55mph."

Do not pass it up!!!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I love this car! This is my 3rd Subaru, and I could not be happier. It is also my second Impreza. The first was a 93 which died in an accident. I fell in love at first sight. Safe, good looking, reliable and inexpensive. AWD is great in the snow and rain. You can buzz around all the slower cars on the highway and still get great gas millage. The 2.2 boxer engine is filled full of all kinds of get up and go. If you are thinking of getting any other car... Go take a look at the other Subaru models like the Forrester which is my 3rd Subaru by chance. Before I go, the 93 that died in that accident, I just wanted to say that it was totaled. As far as my wife and kids we all walked away with just a few bruises and thats it."

best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"I bought my 2000 RS back in '02 and I've enjoyed every aspect of owning it. I've gotten a lot of comments about how attractive it is and I as well love the styling. It's extremely easy to work on and a very well put together car. I have made a lot of 1000+ mile long road trips in the car and I can't tell you how comfortable it is. Overall this is a GREAT car and I'm very happy with it."

this car is all around worth every penny and more

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable,saves money on repair cost,"

"SUBARU there is no other out there that can compare to this car its not the fastest or even the best looking but this car is unstopable in many ways. my impreza l 2.2 has been in and out of more then any car deserves to be put thru and time after time it never fails to amaze. alot of people say as long as it gets from a to b then thats all that matters, well the sube goes from a-and every where in between and right back to a and with confidence and pride."

dependable

By on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"With basic maintenance and a little care, this car could just keep going"

great little car

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I have had this car for 7 years and have never had a problem with it. I've beaten it up and drove it everywhere and it never stops. 200k + and it still runs like the day i got it."

best car i've owned

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"great overall, only a few minor problems. seats are uncomfortable on long trips, slight rust behind rear wheels, and my AC doesn't work"

Exceeded my expectations!!

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"I bought this car specifically for driving from the central valley up to bear valley ski resort every weekend, and it's been through 2 snow seasons of driving up there every weekend (I put over 30K miles on it in a year!) and I have yet to have any problem that prevented me from doing that! I just change the oil every 3K miles and keep my tune-ups up to date and she is on the road! Even on icy, snow covered roads, my Subaru troops right through! I love it!! I'll never get anything but Subaru from here on out!!"

Extremely Reliable, Great in Snow

By on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"I've had a '96 for over 6 years and Ilove it. I'm now looking to upgrade to a newer version. We've had 3 feet of snow this winter and as usual it works great. I definately recommend this vehicle."

Solid as a rock

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"My OBS with 148,000 miles has never left me stranded. I even drove it off the highway into a tree and then drove out of the ditch and back home. Really solid car. The 2.2 L engine is much more reliable than the 2.5 L engine in the larger Outback, although it is a bit underpowered. All wheel drive comes in handy more often than you would expect."

an awesome car

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"i bought my 00 rs new. ive beat the heck out of the car and it asks for more. ive driven through everything. i have 108k miles and 85000 have been rally style. i looked at newer sti's but no way. ive modified a little maybe 30 more horses and thats good enough. ill go to my grave with this car next to me. i love my car."

Wonderful Car

By on Thursday, November 8, 2007

"I purchased this car from my mother when my father passed away. They bought it new in 1998 and it only had 64,000 miles on it when I took posession of it in April 2007. The first week I had it I took it on a road trip to Seattle, WA, from Utah. What a great little car. It handled well on the road through all the rain there and back. The gas mileage was incredible. The cargo space in the hatchback will accomodate the largest of loads with the seat down. There is plenty of room throughout the car. I am happy with the purchase and hope to drive it a million miles."

fun car