2015 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,801 - $24,482.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/7.4

8.0

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Great visibility and very comfortable

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Incrediblity versatile vehcile"

Cons: "None to think of."

Green Subaru

"I have been test driving cars for 3 years trying to find the right one. When I tested the 2014 Forester, I knew this was the car. I love the great visibility and the looks of the interior and exterior (I bought a green Limited). The backup camera is great. Excellent leg room for back seat passengers (I'm tall and so is my family and many of my friends.) As for the seats, they are extremely comfortable, I have the light gray leather - I could use them as livingroom chairs. I do drive on bumpy steep dirt roads to access great hiking. The X-mode is really nice, it almost drives the car for you. This is a car you can take off road and to nicest country clubs and feel right at home. Lots of really nice options on it - like reclining rear seats, fuel comsumption displays, integrated bluetooth with excellent sound quality and mircrophones."

Green Subaru

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."

Fantastic value, great ride, fab view of road

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great price, smooth ride, fun to drive,"

Cons: "Front seats"

"* Fantastic value for an SUV, compared to CRV/RAV4 * Some folks expressed apprehensions over the CVT, but it's a very smooth driving experience. * Great exteriors, more SUV-like than its predecessors * Like the high-ride. Good view of the road & surroundings. Also easy for folks to get in and out of, especially folks who may have back issues and hence have problems getting in and out of smaller cars/sedans. * Big windows, good view of the road. This is in comparison to the CRV and RAV4 which seem very narrow in terms of their view of the road and surroundings. * Like the lamps on the mirrors and doors which illuminate your path when you get out of the car * Pretty huge moon-roof * Decent instrument panel and dials are easy to read * Might not have spent enough time with all the features on the instrumentation panel, but it's not that easy to deal with. * Have the all-weather package and like the warmed front seats and the mirror warmers * The seats are something which other owners would also have mentioned as needing some improvement. They are comfortable to a large extent, but could be better. * The AC/heater is also something which needs improvement. To have a decent temperature inside the car, it often needs to be at level 2. Folks in the back seat don't get enough air unless it's at level 2. * The back seats are quite comfortable, and have a lot of leg room. * The boot is quite spacious and can accommodate 3-4 huge suitcases (29") and 4 cabin luggage (20") * Like the rear view camera. Also: * Like the fact that there are a lot of cup holders * Like the storage area between the passenger and driver seats - good space for change, cables and creams."

So good I traded a 2014 for a 2015 Touring

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great mileage, well appointed."

Cons: "Needs a bit better interior finishes"

"I had purchased a 2014 Forester Touring as a replacement to an 2012 Acura MDX. Acura lost me as a lifetime customer over a major mechanical problem at 2200 miles and their failure to find and fix the problem on the first try. Coming from an MDX, I was used to luxury and I was surprised at how easily I adjusted to the Forester. It even had a few features that the MDX did not. However, it had a couple that I found I hated which is the main reason I traded the 14 for a 15 without the problem features. The Eyesight system was really annoying. I suppose if you are a poor driver or are prone to being unobservant, it might be for you. But driving into my office with a roundabout with the post box off to the side, it saw it as an obstacle and beeped all the time. I hated the Eyesight cruise control system and instead used the standard one all the time (it took getting out the manual to figure out how to not use the Eyesight version--too complicated). The nav/stereo was absolutely terrible. Save your money and your aggravation. The 15 has Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers but the head unit is simple and intuitive and the voice dialing system actually works! I was never able to get the nav/stereo in the other car to work with audio commands. Also, one more note, with the nav/stereo, there is no knob to change the stereo channel, you have to hit up/down arrows on the screen in a moving car. Fine if you know and can preset all the channels, but not if you travel somewhere else and need to search for a channel. With those two tech issues gone with this car, I'm loving it all over it again. I get great MPG that was only dream land in the MDX. It won't set speed records, but it does the job just fine. I don't feel underpowered really and it sticks to the road. In the wintertime, living on a hill, it did fantastically. I wish Subaru would keep the simplicity of controls and features but bump up the quality of the interior just a bit more. Overall though, its a great car, so great that I bought another one which ought to be a big endorsement by itself."