2015 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,181 - $22,303.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 09/29/2016

10/9.2

8.0

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2014 - 2017 models.

terrific car EXCEPT the navigation which is AWFUL!

By on Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pros: "wonderful safety features, great mileage"

Cons: "DO NOT BUY THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM"

"Love most everything about my car. Getting fabulous mileage (have reached 36.7 MPG on the road! but I paid a pretty penny to get the navigation system I had to buy with the "eyesight" system in order to do this - so the cost was high. It has taken me to non-existent places several times, doesn't show traffic (yup my wifi and Bluetooth are connected) so the arrival time is wrong every time. When I ask at the dealership they say they're sorry, they know it's not a good system and no they are not planning to do anything that I could update. Just use your phones or get an aftermarket navigation. Amazing that they can build a car with great safety features but not the Nav. The interior fabric is also only mediocre, stain easily and resists complete cleaning - I suggest leather."

My second Subaru)))

By on Saturday, September 17, 2016

Pros: "AWD, Well equipped, good MPG."

Cons: "Low towing capacity (Only 1500lb). CVT is slow."

"Let me start with saying that I’m a Mazda guy. I owned 8 Mazda in 15 year period. My wife drives 2016 CX-5 GT model and we love that car. I had 2011 CX-9 GT with to many miles, so it was a time to get a new car. Went to Mazda to see what I can get for cheap, like $250-$300 per month lease. Liked the new 2017 CX-9, but it was to expensive. Then my brother told me that Subaru has cheap lease specials. Same day went to see what will I like. I liked the Outback but it was to slow with 2.5i engine option. Outback is much heavier then Forester. So I end it up leasing 2017 Forester because the cheap lease special ($250 per month tax included. $400 down) and the way it drives. This is my second Subaru. The first was 2007 Impresa 2.5i. I loved that car. Drove 95K miles with zero problems, that’s why I decided to get Forester. So far I’m very satisfied. Good acceleration, good MPG for AWD, very comfortable seats. AWD is a big plus. Good handling, very nice and quiet ride. I love all the safety futures, lane assistance, blind spot monitor and break assist. New entertainment system is awesome; 7” touch screen is very easy to use. Backup camera is OK, low quality when it’s dark. The only concern I have is the towing capacity only 1500lb. I have a trailer with 3 dirt bikes on it. Total weight is 1400lb, so I should be OK I hope))) I drove both 2016 and 2017 Forester. 2017 has a better CVT transition (more responsive), less road/wind noise, better interior and looks meaner))). Over all I enjoy driving this car."

Forester does it all! And, 31.3 mpg

By on Saturday, June 4, 2016

Pros: "Great value and function everywhere."

Cons: "Rear cargo area light poorly located and weak."

"What's not to like about the newly designed Forester (2014)? Hardly anything: the shorter wheelbase creates a bit of a bumpy, firm ride. The CVT transmission revs up loudly when you push the pedal down to accelerate onto the freeway. That's it! But things to like far outweigh those. A true 31.3 mpg driving over thousands of miles in the mountains and on interstates at 70 mph. An interior that is huge and comfortable for all---even the backseat passengers. Tinted side windows that block lots of sun. A huge sunroof. Electric driver seat that moves forward-back, up-down, tilt forward-back, and the lumbar adjustable seat back that tilts too. An oil filter on top of the engine that's easy to change. Beautiful metallic paint. A price negotiable to under $25000 for the premium level trim. No repairs as of yet after almost 60 K miles. All-wheel-drive that handles Colorado's deep snows with 8 inches clearance. A fairly decent information monitor with lots of different data screens. (The newer ones are even better (2015 and 2016). Subaru has things all figured out with these cars. It's our second after the 1998 Forester's engine finally died at 273,000 miles."

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Great visibility and very comfortable

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Incrediblity versatile vehcile"

Cons: "None to think of."

Green Subaru

"I have been test driving cars for 3 years trying to find the right one. When I tested the 2014 Forester, I knew this was the car. I love the great visibility and the looks of the interior and exterior (I bought a green Limited). The backup camera is great. Excellent leg room for back seat passengers (I'm tall and so is my family and many of my friends.) As for the seats, they are extremely comfortable, I have the light gray leather - I could use them as livingroom chairs. I do drive on bumpy steep dirt roads to access great hiking. The X-mode is really nice, it almost drives the car for you. This is a car you can take off road and to nicest country clubs and feel right at home. Lots of really nice options on it - like reclining rear seats, fuel comsumption displays, integrated bluetooth with excellent sound quality and mircrophones."

Green Subaru