2015 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,846 - $23,377.

10/7.4

8.0

Based on 114 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

I LOVE MY SUBIE!

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Great acceleration, appearance, comfort, utility."

Cons: "Rain drips onto backup camera lens."

"After driving mini-vans for many years, I wanted something a little smaller, more fuel efficient and capable. I went to 13 different dealerships, drove just about every small SUV out there (I missed Suzuki, just because I didn't think of it)and finally chose the 2014 Forester Limited. The CVT really makes this car behave as if it has a lot more horsepower than it does. Merging to highway speed is never a problem, even with very short merge lanes. There are nicer interiors out there, but it seems Subaru totally follows the "form follows function" philosophy. Everything is well laid out, and appears incredibly durable. I went on my first "outing" this past weekend, to a popular waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The car sat 5 adults comfortably for the 8 hour round trip. This particular waterfall has access from two different places. One is paved, the other is gravel, sand, and mud. We went to both. On the paved side, there was a mix of pretty much every size and type of car. On the rocky road that has water runouts all over it, where a more capable car is needed, it was amazing to find at least half of the cars were Subaru's. I kept saying: "there's another Subie, they're all over." X-mode is amazing, I've never had a car that can apply the brake for you. Driving suggestion: put the transmission in low before using X-mode. Sometimes it will start going too fast and actually turn off X-mode without the car in low. I'm getting 25.2MPG in town, and on the mountain trip, it was 33.2MPG."

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Learning to love my Subaru

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "safety, smooth, grounded ride, AWD"

Cons: "interior design"

"I looked around at all the main cars in the class, quickly ruled out the pricey Buick and VW (why not just buy an Audi if you want to spend $40K on a VW). I looked hard at Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Hyundai and Subaru (also the Outback). The Chevy didn't seem to hold up to the others and Hyundai didn't seem any cheaper for the same specs I was looking at--who buys a 2 wheel drive crossover in Utah? I would have loved to like the Mazda, but it's smaller inside and the Nissan needs an overhaul. I don't need the Ford's extras and it seems to lag Toyota / Honda. I settled on either Honda (which seems to marginally edge Toyota in most reviews) or Subaru--after driving them both several times, the Honda just has no "go". Really struggled uphill. It was nicer inside--better interior design by far I think, but the AWD on Subaru can't be beaten in this class. Also, Ford, Toyota, Honda have really sacrificed vision for styling. Having a tiny back window / side windows means you're forced to take the standard backup camera in Honda--the rear window is useless if you have small kids who may be playing behind. The Subaru feels much airier--the windows are big. Really big and the backup camera isn't an expensive addition, nor is it needed--I can see my 2 year old if he's just a couple feet behind the car. The blindspot is smaller on my Forester than it is on my sedan. The Subaru isn't built to impress visually--although the exterior styling is really growing on me. It almost forbids soccer moms from driving one, which is the opposite of mom-wagon magnet CR-V / Rav 4. That said, this is my wife's vehicle and it works great. The center armrest in the back seat wouldn't decline in the CR-V with our car seat, but it does easily in the Subaru, which really does feel larger inside. I would have loved a little more effort to go into the interior design--the dashboard of Honda should be the standard for other manufacturers, but my Subaru feels solid, drives smoothly and feels grounded on the road, and will handle the snow better than any other car in this class given the 100% AWD. The mpg is also better than the competition on the new 2014--Mazda is probably similar, but the CX-5 is just a little small, and I still see a huge smile on the front of the updated model. Finally, no other vehicle in this class did as well as the Forester for safety. With this car hauling my wife and kids around, safety is important. I feel confident she'll be protected while driving this--at least compared with the competition. It's also really nice to drive, at least for someone who isn't planning to enter Nascar anytime soon."

15K on back roads - still going great!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "AWD - Visibility - Turning radius - Easy to wash"

Cons: "Backup camera not standard on base - yet."

"I use my base 2014 Forester 2.5i delivering mail on the kind of roads you see in commercials, about 1K miles each week. No complaints or compliments on the ride, handling or options. Everything works fine. The AWD system is the best drivetrain I have ever driven on slick, rutted, muddy roads. No other vehicle has ever come close (I spend a lot of time on these kinds of roads). Visibility is much better than most vehicles. Gas mileage matches ratings but skyrockets up to near 40mpg if you can keep your speed 50mph or lower. Turning radius is very tight making manuevering tight places simple and fun (this is a bigger plus than a one line mention). Radio is average but adding a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat makes it as good as any factory stereo. My use for the Forester is strictly utility. For family use, I would buy the Premium model which has many nice features for not much more money."

Amazing Car for the Money

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Visibility, MPG, cargo and rear leg room"

Cons: "Seats could be better, weird trim levels"

"I am reviewing the 2.5 Limited with CVT. I bought this car about three months ago after researching a lot of other cars and i have to say that for that amount of money (About $27,000) you will not find a better crossover. The visibility is the best in any SUV that I have ever seen. You can see everything while driving this car. Windows are huge and the mirrors are perfectly positioned to not obstruct your view. The gas mileage is also outstanding. I am currently averaging 28.5 MPG with a mixture of about 30% highway and 70% city, which I am very pleased about. The cargo space and back seat leg room and comfort are amazing. The CVT takes a few weeks to get used to because it's different than a traditional automatic but I think people, for some reason, make too much fuss about it in reviews and test drives. It's not a sports car. It has enough response and power for the type of car and I never find myself wishing for a more powerful engine. The interior is very functional and quick to access compared to the Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, it doesn't have the most top of the line entertainment system, but everything is extremely quick and convenient to use. Climate control, bluetooth, MPG and trip data and graphs, it's all there and accessible with a press of a button. I never have to look for something. I know exactly where it is. Very intuitive design. The only problem I see with the car is that the leather seats are a bit bland and not exactly well made. They are flat and very basic. The Crosstek's seats are much nicer than the Forester's. I wish they were a bit more contoured to your body. Another disappointment were the packages. The Premium, Limited and Touring trims just have just a weird combination of features that do not really make sense when you are shopping for the car. The GPS is also a joke and that's why I opted not to buy it. I wish it was a bit more in line with the overall quality of the car. Overall, I think that for a car priced under $30,000 you can't get a better vehicle. Yes, it's not as polished as an Audi or a BMW...but once again, if you want better seats or some top of the line tech, you will have to spend close to $40,000. But the overall package with this vehicle for the money is outstanding."

Great Value

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "A lot of features for the price."

Cons: "Small size of flat screen display."

"After comparing features and price, I bought the 2014 Forester/Premium with the all weather package. The Ford Explorer and Mazda CX-5 cost several $1000 more to get the same features. I have been getting far better mileage than is stated on the sticker (over 30 mpg city vs 24 shown on the sticker). The car is quiet, comfortable and has plenty of room in the back seat. The ride is a little stiff compared with a car, but if you want an SUV capable of off-road, that is to be expected.Takes the bumps very well. The 175 hp engine is very responsive and does not strain on acceleration. I can cruise at highway speeds at a bit less than 2000 rpm. The only knock on this car is the somewhat small size of the flat screen display. However, the various displays are easy to toggle through and program. Setting up my cell phone for blue tooth was also straightforward. It could all be done from the controls on the steering wheel. My previous car was a 2005 Forester and the 2014 is a huge leap in interior room, features, comfort and power."

Nimble handling, tight turn circle, pleasant ride

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Great handling and airy feel in the cabin."

Cons: "nav, limited storage up front, must get moonroof"

"We bought this car, wanting to downsize from a minivan, but retain some cargo carrying ability. I love how this car drives. It corners and handles like a dream. The sitting position is great -- you are up and can see the road. We got the "eyesight" feature wich dutifully beeps when you change lanes without signalling or approach some object and brake later than it likes. The adaptive cruise control works very well -- it's actually usable even with some traffic. I've been getting as high as 31 MPG highway and usually in the mid twenties combined. City driving is lower than the EPA numbers of course. Acceleration is adequate, though not wonderful -- we did not get the turbo model and preferred the mileage numbers. As for criticisms, I'd first mention that the navigation system is sub-par, not intuitive and Subaru has made it impossible for a passenger to use it while the car is moving -- something we dislike. It's not always possible to pull over and come to a stop and if your passenger is there its silly to limit it. Too much brig-brother there I'd say. The middle console/armrest is smallish, the storage inside is small and the coin holder blocks easy access inside. The glove box isnt large. The front storage area is open and smallish as well. The visibility in the car is great for the most part, but the rear window seems small and reduces rear view vision. Be nice if that window were bigger and also the left and right exterior mirrors could have slightly larger fields of view. I also don't like that we had to give up 6 cu/ft of cargo space for a "moonroof" we will never use. This should be an optional item even on high trim levels. Unless you get the base model, you must get the moonroof and will not get the advertised 74 cu/ft of cargo space as a result. However, this car all in all, seems great. The complaints seem minor compared to the overall quality, price and safety attributes."

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

Forester 2.0XT Touring Refined Quality

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, sound system, visibility"

Cons: "No analog temp gauge, no glove box light"

"I own the 2.0 XT Touring. I have about 1500 miles on it. I really enjoy this car. I had a Mazda CX5 for about two years. However, I needed a vehicle with more spirit and boy does the 2.0XTer have it. This puppy has such a responsive engine. It easily out performs our Honda Pilot. My wife at 5’1” had severe accessibility issues with the CX5. That issue was solved with the 2.0XTer. Also, the Forester has much better visibility then the Mazda. The handling is really good with the car always feeling well planted to the road. The 2.0XTer has a sports suspension which adds to its handling capabilities. I drove the Forester 2.5 Limited and the 2.0XTer had noticeably better handling characteristics. The Harman Kardon sound system is outstanding (way better than the Bose in the CX5). I do love the tunes. It has a great roomy back seat that the kids really enjoy. This car exhibits refinement and that becomes evident as I drive it more. Finally, I saw the poor crash results of the mini compacts (i.e. Honda Fit) I am glad I have the Forester with its outstanding safety ratings."

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."