2015 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,343 - $22,926.

10/7.4

8.0

Based on 84 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

7.6/10

Best Forester Ever!

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "A great mix of safety, quality, comfort and value."

Cons: "No heated steering wheel or remote start included."

"Compared to my wife's 2011 Forester Premium model, my 2015 Touring (no nav or eyesight): A quieter, roomier and far more comfortable cabin with excellent visibility. HK amps/speakers with outstanding imaging and tonal quality Keyless entry. Remote/push button rear hatch. CVT takes getting use to but offers adequate power and excellent gas mileage. Improved sun visors with pullout extenders and darker window tinting. Only negative is ride quality. Less car like. More SUV like. No one in my family finds ride quality intolerable. Ride varies with different surfaces so test drive as you would normally drive it. If you want the ride of a luxury sedan, buy a luxury sedan. Suggested improvements: Heated steering wheel Remove / relocate rear hatch opening adjustment button Include remote start Overall, the folks at Consumer Reports and Motor Trend got it right based on my time behind the wheel,"

Good vehicle, poor center console design

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "Easy on gas, nice interior overall"

Cons: "Questionable door panel styling and center console"

"I love the vehicle overall, however there are a few pain points inside for a larger driver. I did not notice these when buying the car and am lamenting it now, I should have gone with a slightly higher price and the Outback. As a 6' 4" guy who is on the larger side the Forester offered plenty of leg room overall and though the seat is a bit narrow than my preferred, but not overly so. The major gripe I have with this vehicle comes in the form of the center console and the inside door panel where the controls are. This might be just me but when I'm driving I rest my knees on either side, in this case my right knee hits right where they decided to have a pointy corner as the center console goes up to meet the dash, and the left leg rests right on the edge that is pushed out to angle the window controls. Both combine to give me an uncomfortable ride and questionable brake and gas control. I'm sure those areas are fine for many people, but if you are a larger person these are things to watch for when testing out a new Forester."

Love this car!

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "great driving car"

Cons: "added fog lights/ use them always"

"My husband and I love how quiet and smooth the ride is. We can travel anywhere now.We have a turbo and love that additional plus."

Very good choice

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "pretty good price"

Cons: "no key less back opening of door"

"I really like this vehicle. All around good car, great handling, great for viewing back up, lane changes. the only thing I would want is a push button opening for rear door. If I have groceries, I have to set them down to get in the back. My Camry had it and I loved it! I love the large sun roof!! The seats aren't great for long trips."

Very unconfortable SUV

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Easy access, fair gas mileage"

Cons: "Very uncomfortable, a chore to drive"

"I have owned this car for a few weeks now and very disappointed. I am 6'2" and don't fit the car. The distance from the pedals to the steering wheel is to short. If I slide the seat closer for comfortable steering my legs are cramped if I back the seat up then my arms are stretched out to reach the wheel. The drivers seat is very uncomfortable and no combination of seat and steering wheel adjustment makes it comfortable. The dash illumination is a hideous red which is distracting when driving at night. There is a lot of road noise that makes listening to the radio difficult. At high RPM it sounds like the engine is going to explode. I have a half hour commute and can't wait to get out of this vehicle each day."

4th forester - the worst one

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

"Clumsy dull steering, very poor seating, too few compartments, miserable little backup screen, off -centered instrument cluster, rough ride. Good gas mileage. Should have bought the last of the 2013's."

Very Happy with My First Subaru: 2014 Forester XT

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, fun, fast, quiet, and capable."

Cons: "No manual offered in turbo models. No hood scoop!"

"Overall, the 2014 Forester XT is a great car. I've always liked Subaru's cars, and decided to take a closer look at owning one when a major automotive magazine recently named the Forester the SUV of the Year. My previous car was an awesome 4WD Xterra Off Road, but it wasn't good on gas, and had well over 100k miles. The XT doesn't have a lot of torque at the low end like I was used to, but the mid-range power is really impressive. Another reviewer said it perfectly: "it feels like you're getting sucked into a vacuum" when accelerating. Opening the engine up on a straightaway is the point when you realize what you paid for when you opted for the XT's 250 horsepower, 2.0 liter, turbocharged engine. The base engine is adequate, but takes a lot of the fun out of driving. I simply couldn't accept the base engine after driving the turbo version, but others may find it suitable enough. My last car was a torquey 6-speed manual, so I was worried about the CVT, but it's actually really nice. The paddle shifters and different driving modes also let you customize your driving experience, but I honestly don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would. The default "intelligent" driving mode helps you sip gas a little better, and if you step on it, it'll launch you ahead no matter which mode you're in. It is by far the best CVT I've ever driven after being let down by several rental cars' sluggish and loud attempts. Handling is awesome for a small SUV; it corners really well and traction starts to slip in a very predictable manner. The only mild off-road test so far was passed with no problem. The mpg ratings are fair. I've gotten 26+ mpg's on multiple tanks with mostly mixed driving back and forth to work and the grocery store, and as little as 18 when I stayed on the turbo a lot. If I don't do 90 mph, I can get 30+ on highway for sustained periods. The inside is very quiet. Like, it makes me feel a lil' sleepy sometimes when I'm driving. The interior is nice, but not extravagant. Seats are ok overall; the rear seats recline, and the driver's seat is power-adjustable, but they lack sufficient lateral support when you take a corner at high speed. There's a small screen in the dash for conveying various forms of info, and when in reverse, it displays the backup cam's signal. For me, it's the right balance of features and simplicity. I added the factory-supplied Kicker speaker upgrades all around, then installed a Kicker under-seat powered subwoofer and small amplifier for the other speakers, but kept the factory radio. Everything is hidden away so it has the same stock look, so there are no wires, boxes, etc., but it sounds amazing, even at 70 mph with the windows and sunroof down. I also added some accessories: Aero bars, trailer hitch (for bike rack), cargo nets in the side/rear, moof roof wind reflector, tinted front windows to match the rear, fog lights, pet partition (expensive but solid design), and all-weather mats. Although I sometimes wish I still had a stick-shift, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It has turned out to be the perfect car for me/us so far. My biggest complaint is that they got rid of the hood scoop, so it's safe to say there's not much to complain about."

Very good ride!, excellent handling,

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy to get in and out,"

Cons: "Cheap radio, No satelite radio option in mine"

"I have traded my 2012 Tdi jetta due to a glow plug issues, dealer was not able to find, even that his car was real good on gas, about 42 MPG city/Highway. I was not happy with reliability. I purchased a 2014 Outback for my wife and loved it, this was the main reason to look for a Forester. Test drove it and I was impressed how easy is to get in and out. I have a herniated disc and had surgery. So, it sits high, to my hip level. Also, you can see everything outside, very large cargo space and it is extremely easy to get things in and out. Gas wise, good for an SUV, good power, I have not test it yet in snow, but I am looking forward this winter when I go to Ontario. I do not have a lot of experience with SUVS but I really love the vehicle"

Great car except for complex (NAV) setup.

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Ease of entry/exit, roomy, fun to drive."

Cons: "Poor visibility on rear camera screen, complex Nav"

"I got the Limited because I wanted leather seats, eyesite, and the auto rear door. I wish I had got the Premium model with the eyesite (no Navigation) and bought the leather seats post market. You cannot see the tiny rear camera screen far up on the dash in the daytime because of the glare and size. I often use the rear camera screen on my Leaf which is much larger and closer. The seats could be softer, I added a cushion on trips. But other than that, it handles like a sport car. The 2.5L engine accelerates nicely and uses reg gas. This quiet car produces quality CD/Radio sound after you figure out how to set the stations. The main reason I bought this SUV instead of a sedan is the ease of entry/exit. I have trouble bending into low cars."

So good I traded a 2014 for a 2015 Touring

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great mileage, well appointed."

Cons: "Needs a bit better interior finishes"

"I had purchased a 2014 Forester Touring as a replacement to an 2012 Acura MDX. Acura lost me as a lifetime customer over a major mechanical problem at 2200 miles and their failure to find and fix the problem on the first try. Coming from an MDX, I was used to luxury and I was surprised at how easily I adjusted to the Forester. It even had a few features that the MDX did not. However, it had a couple that I found I hated which is the main reason I traded the 14 for a 15 without the problem features. The Eyesight system was really annoying. I suppose if you are a poor driver or are prone to being unobservant, it might be for you. But driving into my office with a roundabout with the post box off to the side, it saw it as an obstacle and beeped all the time. I hated the Eyesight cruise control system and instead used the standard one all the time (it took getting out the manual to figure out how to not use the Eyesight version--too complicated). The nav/stereo was absolutely terrible. Save your money and your aggravation. The 15 has Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers but the head unit is simple and intuitive and the voice dialing system actually works! I was never able to get the nav/stereo in the other car to work with audio commands. Also, one more note, with the nav/stereo, there is no knob to change the stereo channel, you have to hit up/down arrows on the screen in a moving car. Fine if you know and can preset all the channels, but not if you travel somewhere else and need to search for a channel. With those two tech issues gone with this car, I'm loving it all over it again. I get great MPG that was only dream land in the MDX. It won't set speed records, but it does the job just fine. I don't feel underpowered really and it sticks to the road. In the wintertime, living on a hill, it did fantastically. I wish Subaru would keep the simplicity of controls and features but bump up the quality of the interior just a bit more. Overall though, its a great car, so great that I bought another one which ought to be a big endorsement by itself."