• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,622 - $24,313.

10/7.5

8.0

Based on 81 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

7.5/10

Very good choice

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "pretty good price"

Cons: "no key less back opening of door"

"I really like this vehicle. All around good car, great handling, great for viewing back up, lane changes. the only thing I would want is a push button opening for rear door. If I have groceries, I have to set them down to get in the back. My Camry had it and I loved it! I love the large sun roof!! The seats aren't great for long trips."

Very unconfortable SUV

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Easy access, fair gas mileage"

Cons: "Very uncomfortable, a chore to drive"

"I have owned this car for a few weeks now and very disappointed. I am 6'2" and don't fit the car. The distance from the pedals to the steering wheel is to short. If I slide the seat closer for comfortable steering my legs are cramped if I back the seat up then my arms are stretched out to reach the wheel. The drivers seat is very uncomfortable and no combination of seat and steering wheel adjustment makes it comfortable. The dash illumination is a hideous red which is distracting when driving at night. There is a lot of road noise that makes listening to the radio difficult. At high RPM it sounds like the engine is going to explode. I have a half hour commute and can't wait to get out of this vehicle each day."

4th forester - the worst one

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

"Clumsy dull steering, very poor seating, too few compartments, miserable little backup screen, off -centered instrument cluster, rough ride. Good gas mileage. Should have bought the last of the 2013's."

Very Happy with My First Subaru: 2014 Forester XT

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, fun, fast, quiet, and capable."

Cons: "No manual offered in turbo models. No hood scoop!"

"Overall, the 2014 Forester XT is a great car. I've always liked Subaru's cars, and decided to take a closer look at owning one when a major automotive magazine recently named the Forester the SUV of the Year. My previous car was an awesome 4WD Xterra Off Road, but it wasn't good on gas, and had well over 100k miles. The XT doesn't have a lot of torque at the low end like I was used to, but the mid-range power is really impressive. Another reviewer said it perfectly: "it feels like you're getting sucked into a vacuum" when accelerating. Opening the engine up on a straightaway is the point when you realize what you paid for when you opted for the XT's 250 horsepower, 2.0 liter, turbocharged engine. The base engine is adequate, but takes a lot of the fun out of driving. I simply couldn't accept the base engine after driving the turbo version, but others may find it suitable enough. My last car was a torquey 6-speed manual, so I was worried about the CVT, but it's actually really nice. The paddle shifters and different driving modes also let you customize your driving experience, but I honestly don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would. The default "intelligent" driving mode helps you sip gas a little better, and if you step on it, it'll launch you ahead no matter which mode you're in. It is by far the best CVT I've ever driven after being let down by several rental cars' sluggish and loud attempts. Handling is awesome for a small SUV; it corners really well and traction starts to slip in a very predictable manner. The only mild off-road test so far was passed with no problem. The mpg ratings are fair. I've gotten 26+ mpg's on multiple tanks with mostly mixed driving back and forth to work and the grocery store, and as little as 18 when I stayed on the turbo a lot. If I don't do 90 mph, I can get 30+ on highway for sustained periods. The inside is very quiet. Like, it makes me feel a lil' sleepy sometimes when I'm driving. The interior is nice, but not extravagant. Seats are ok overall; the rear seats recline, and the driver's seat is power-adjustable, but they lack sufficient lateral support when you take a corner at high speed. There's a small screen in the dash for conveying various forms of info, and when in reverse, it displays the backup cam's signal. For me, it's the right balance of features and simplicity. I added the factory-supplied Kicker speaker upgrades all around, then installed a Kicker under-seat powered subwoofer and small amplifier for the other speakers, but kept the factory radio. Everything is hidden away so it has the same stock look, so there are no wires, boxes, etc., but it sounds amazing, even at 70 mph with the windows and sunroof down. I also added some accessories: Aero bars, trailer hitch (for bike rack), cargo nets in the side/rear, moof roof wind reflector, tinted front windows to match the rear, fog lights, pet partition (expensive but solid design), and all-weather mats. Although I sometimes wish I still had a stick-shift, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It has turned out to be the perfect car for me/us so far. My biggest complaint is that they got rid of the hood scoop, so it's safe to say there's not much to complain about."

Very good ride!, excellent handling,

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy to get in and out,"

Cons: "Cheap radio, No satelite radio option in mine"

"I have traded my 2012 Tdi jetta due to a glow plug issues, dealer was not able to find, even that his car was real good on gas, about 42 MPG city/Highway. I was not happy with reliability. I purchased a 2014 Outback for my wife and loved it, this was the main reason to look for a Forester. Test drove it and I was impressed how easy is to get in and out. I have a herniated disc and had surgery. So, it sits high, to my hip level. Also, you can see everything outside, very large cargo space and it is extremely easy to get things in and out. Gas wise, good for an SUV, good power, I have not test it yet in snow, but I am looking forward this winter when I go to Ontario. I do not have a lot of experience with SUVS but I really love the vehicle"