2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,646 - $23,267.

10/7.5

8.0

Based on 115 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

My First Subie...

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "All wheel Drive, Smooth Ride"

Cons: "None so far"

"Purchased the Base w/Automatic on 9/23/2013. Feel I got a good purchase price of $21,129. A lot of large windows which is great. CVT responds well and very smooth. The ride is nice and controlled. Pick up is good. But not happy with the MPG. Around town I am getting 21.4, I did expect to get more. I am a big guy and the seats and head room is fine. Fit and finish seems a little cheap, and I am not a big fan of the cloth pull handles on inside of doors. Blue Tooth works well, the sound system is OK, added the tweeter kit and it does make a difference. I truly hope this car will serve me well thru the rough Chicago Winters. I will write another review in the Spring"

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

"I purchased this car about 2 weeks ago, dark grey, with the tan interior. 2.5 Premium Trim. I test drove the XT (which was a blast, but I wont drive this often and the use of premium fuel, as well as lower mileage, at a higher price takes a toll on your wallet after a while) Exterior: With this fresh re-design this car is probably the sexiest boxy car you'll see. I think it looks great, as well as the use-able cargo space is unbeatable. This is probably the most functional car I've ever had, as well as the most spacious, with the low slung hood, and dash far away, I'm 6'3 and I cant even sit with the seats all the way back in the passenger seat(as there is too much room!) (its that spacious) Back seat has plenty of room and doors that open 90degrees for easy access. All that said it drives well, and you will not find a better SUV with such superb visibility and no blind spots. The moonroof is massive and makes me want to get outside more often! The interior design is spacious, open and put together well. While this 2.5i boxer engine mated with the new CVT transmission is not "fast" it is sufficient, fun to drive, as well as makes a nice sound (unlike the outlander). The CVT is very smooth,quiet, and does not feel like a CVT. We have experienced about 28mpg on the 1st 2 tanks of gas, mostly traffic-laden city/hwy driving to-fro work. On the open highway we've noticed around 32-34mpg. The Electronic fuel gagets and wheel slip monitors are entertaining and possibly useful, if you're driving offroad (I've only noticed it have any change in the AWD appearance when driving on extreme wet pavement) Interior. The cloth is nice, and stay cool, even in direct sunlight, but the leather would be more durable if you can spill the extra 2-3k on the limited model. The back seats recline, which is nice for a long trip. There is a little wind noise, but its minimal and is comparable in noise to the CX-5 front seat noise, (back seat noise of the CX-5 Is much louder)"

Overall Good Vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "AWD, drives great, rides good,"

Cons: "our gas mileage, AC struggles to in direct sun"

"Purchased our 2015 Forester Touring 16 May 14 - have driven it about 2500 miles so far. Everything we looked at in this size & price range had some pro's & cons, but the Subaru seemed to be the best all around fit for us. Estimated gas mileage, symmetrical AWD, price & fit/finish were the driving factors. Overall we are very pleased with the vehicle itself. I gave it a 6 out of 10 only because, unlike most everyone else I've spoken to with 2014 & older Subaru's, our 2015 Forester is not coming close to getting the estimated mileage given by Subaru. Unfortunately, this was one of the biggest factors in our decision to purchase ours. A 380 mile trip over Memorial Day weekend had it getting 15.8 mpg over all on the way up, w/ 3 pax (a bag each) & 2 dogs, while pulling a small utility trailer. (utility trailer & it's cargo would be under 400 lbs total). The return trip (380 miles), without the trailer & only 2 passengers inside, averaged 20.4 mpg. This was all interstate driving, 65-75 mph, no racing starts or heavy braking, etc.. (we drive about as conservatively as you can get) For Daily driving (about 40 miles round trip with 2/3 of that at 55 & 1/3 of it at 45 mph in stop & go traffic) it's gotten as high as 22 mpg on a tank, but that's it. It doesn't reach the 24 city estimate even on the hwy & the 27 combined / 32 Hwy doesn't appear to be even remotely possible. Best I can tell the car is running normally, no pulling, dragging, odd noises, indicator lights, etc... It seems to run fine (great actually), although to me it seems to occasionally run at a higher rpm than I would expect for any given speed - but this might be normal for the CVT transmission, which I've never had before. Again, most everyone I've spoken to brags on their MPG - maybe ours is the one fluke, but we are extremely disappointed with our gas mileage so far. If not for the current MPG, I'd probably rate it a 9/10 overall. Things we like: Visibility is great, hardly any blind spots. Seats seem to sit up higher than other vehicles of this size - my wife loves that. Extra large moon roof is very nice, I didn't think it would matter, but it does seem to give it an open feeling inside. Eyesight/cruise control/lane departure option is great once you get use to it (& it takes a little getting used too) - be aware that it does not work in heavy rain, though & will kick off. (technically when you could use it the most). Handles great, drives like a champ, very responsive & good turning radius - it did excellent for us in the mountains. Which also makes it an excellent car for around town. AWD - we really like it -seems to hold the road very well in heavy rain (& it can rain hard in SE GA) - haven't had it in winter weather yet, but expect it to do very well. Back seats recline slightly - our adult daughter said it rode great on the last road trip. Very Good cargo space, for a small SUV. (we have a very large dog - he can get in & out, no problem). Very decent riding vehicle for it's size. Smooth ride. Decent price as compared to some other AWD's - but then they do cut some corners on quality or features here & there that some others do not. Overall good value though & we really like the vehicle itself. Things to note: I read several complaints about the NAV system in previous models - ours did not work right during the test drive (kept showing us as driving 1/2 mile off from where we were actually at). The dealer sent it to the shop & "reset" it afterwards (not sure what that actually entailed) but it hasn't missed a beat since. It's not the most intuitive system I've seen, but I haven't had any real problems getting it to operate as needed. Big moon roof & great windows / visibility = more wind noise on the highway than other small SUV's. Not a huge deal, but definitely noticeable. Sits up well, but the front seats themselves are not the best design for long trips. Elec adjustable front passenger seat is not an option - should be for a touring model. On Med & high, AC blower & vents are very noisy for the amount of air the system is actually putting out. Things we don't particularly like: Obviously, our gas mileage, as mentioned. After the initially setting the speed, the Cruise control increase/decrease toggle switch only works in 5 mph increments. ie.. set it at 61 mph & bump it up once and it goes to 65, bump it up again & it goes to 70, etc.. From that point, if you want any speed, other than a 5 mph increment, it has to be turned off then initially set again. - this is a pain in the butt- 1 mph increments, like most all other vehicles, would be much better. AC struggles to cool the back seats & cargo area in daytime 90+ degree temps. (a down side of great visibility) - it really needs rear AC venting (they cut corners here). Black dash & interior trim contribute to interior heat in the summer, you can feel the heat radiating from them - we have light colored seats & really wish light colored dash & interior trim had been an option. Voice activated / hands free feature for phone/nav/radio is sketchy at best and hard to interact with. Almost useless, really. I have an F-250 with the same features that work great, but I have nothing but problems getting our Foresters to work & usually give up. Again, other than the poorer gas mileage we seem to be getting, we are pretty happy overall with our forester and really enjoy it."

Forester 2.0XT Touring Refined Quality

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, sound system, visibility"

Cons: "No analog temp gauge, no glove box light"

"I own the 2.0 XT Touring. I have about 1500 miles on it. I really enjoy this car. I had a Mazda CX5 for about two years. However, I needed a vehicle with more spirit and boy does the 2.0XTer have it. This puppy has such a responsive engine. It easily out performs our Honda Pilot. My wife at 5’1” had severe accessibility issues with the CX5. That issue was solved with the 2.0XTer. Also, the Forester has much better visibility then the Mazda. The handling is really good with the car always feeling well planted to the road. The 2.0XTer has a sports suspension which adds to its handling capabilities. I drove the Forester 2.5 Limited and the 2.0XTer had noticeably better handling characteristics. The Harman Kardon sound system is outstanding (way better than the Bose in the CX5). I do love the tunes. It has a great roomy back seat that the kids really enjoy. This car exhibits refinement and that becomes evident as I drive it more. Finally, I saw the poor crash results of the mini compacts (i.e. Honda Fit) I am glad I have the Forester with its outstanding safety ratings."

Amazing Car for the Money

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Visibility, MPG, cargo and rear leg room"

Cons: "Seats could be better, weird trim levels"

"I am reviewing the 2.5 Limited with CVT. I bought this car about three months ago after researching a lot of other cars and i have to say that for that amount of money (About $27,000) you will not find a better crossover. The visibility is the best in any SUV that I have ever seen. You can see everything while driving this car. Windows are huge and the mirrors are perfectly positioned to not obstruct your view. The gas mileage is also outstanding. I am currently averaging 28.5 MPG with a mixture of about 30% highway and 70% city, which I am very pleased about. The cargo space and back seat leg room and comfort are amazing. The CVT takes a few weeks to get used to because it's different than a traditional automatic but I think people, for some reason, make too much fuss about it in reviews and test drives. It's not a sports car. It has enough response and power for the type of car and I never find myself wishing for a more powerful engine. The interior is very functional and quick to access compared to the Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, it doesn't have the most top of the line entertainment system, but everything is extremely quick and convenient to use. Climate control, bluetooth, MPG and trip data and graphs, it's all there and accessible with a press of a button. I never have to look for something. I know exactly where it is. Very intuitive design. The only problem I see with the car is that the leather seats are a bit bland and not exactly well made. They are flat and very basic. The Crosstek's seats are much nicer than the Forester's. I wish they were a bit more contoured to your body. Another disappointment were the packages. The Premium, Limited and Touring trims just have just a weird combination of features that do not really make sense when you are shopping for the car. The GPS is also a joke and that's why I opted not to buy it. I wish it was a bit more in line with the overall quality of the car. Overall, I think that for a car priced under $30,000 you can't get a better vehicle. Yes, it's not as polished as an Audi or a BMW...but once again, if you want better seats or some top of the line tech, you will have to spend close to $40,000. But the overall package with this vehicle for the money is outstanding."