2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,773 - $22,440.

10/7.5

8.1

Based on 93 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."

Nimble handling, tight turn circle, pleasant ride

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Great handling and airy feel in the cabin."

Cons: "nav, limited storage up front, must get moonroof"

"We bought this car, wanting to downsize from a minivan, but retain some cargo carrying ability. I love how this car drives. It corners and handles like a dream. The sitting position is great -- you are up and can see the road. We got the "eyesight" feature wich dutifully beeps when you change lanes without signalling or approach some object and brake later than it likes. The adaptive cruise control works very well -- it's actually usable even with some traffic. I've been getting as high as 31 MPG highway and usually in the mid twenties combined. City driving is lower than the EPA numbers of course. Acceleration is adequate, though not wonderful -- we did not get the turbo model and preferred the mileage numbers. As for criticisms, I'd first mention that the navigation system is sub-par, not intuitive and Subaru has made it impossible for a passenger to use it while the car is moving -- something we dislike. It's not always possible to pull over and come to a stop and if your passenger is there its silly to limit it. Too much brig-brother there I'd say. The middle console/armrest is smallish, the storage inside is small and the coin holder blocks easy access inside. The glove box isnt large. The front storage area is open and smallish as well. The visibility in the car is great for the most part, but the rear window seems small and reduces rear view vision. Be nice if that window were bigger and also the left and right exterior mirrors could have slightly larger fields of view. I also don't like that we had to give up 6 cu/ft of cargo space for a "moonroof" we will never use. This should be an optional item even on high trim levels. Unless you get the base model, you must get the moonroof and will not get the advertised 74 cu/ft of cargo space as a result. However, this car all in all, seems great. The complaints seem minor compared to the overall quality, price and safety attributes."

A Lot Better Than 2011 Forester

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Sound System, CVT, Eyesight, Quiet Ride"

Cons: "Nav a little slow and small backup screen"

"My wife traded her 2011 for a 2014. I drive the car a lot and find the new one to be greatly improved. I did not like driving the 2011. My biggest gripes were the lack of legroom for the driver and the 4 speed transmission. Now I don't even have to put the driver's seat all the way back and find that the CVT has reduced the engine RPMs especially at highway speeds. We upgraded from a Premium to a Touring. The sound system is awesome. The NAV could be better but it is not bad. Overall the ride is much quieter and the cabin seems much roomier thanks to moving the A pillar forward. Hopefully, it will be as reliable as the 2011."

Great Forester

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Everything except (see below)"

Cons: "Prices to high on upper trim level models"

"I have owned several, +10 Subaru's, and this Forester is great. I really don't know what people are talking about the seats being uncomfortable ?? I have had back surgery fusing 4 vertebrae, in my back with rods, plus replacement of my right hip. It takes a really special seat, for me to be able to drive more than one hour at a time, but with this seat I can triple the time in the seat. So are they lounge chairs , NO, but for someone who knows back pain, they are better, than most found in cars today ,in the same price range. As for the rest of the Forester , total improvement over previous models."

So far so good

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "AWD, good MPG, traction,visibility & ride quality"

Cons: "Smaller back up camera"

"I purchased this vehicle some 3 months back. i was considering between Mazda CX5, Honda CRV and Subaru forester. after lot of research, test driving and thinking i have zeroed in on 2014 Subaru forester premium 2.5i model because the forester has standard AWD ( in others we have to pay extra for AWD), moon roof (standard in premium trim), backup camera(standard in premium trim) and better MPG. Iam now very happy with my decision to go with Subaru. Here are my observations. -> ride quality & seating dynamics are good -> cabin noise on certain roads (cement/concrete) is some what louder. but in general it is low & comparable to other competitor models -> traction and pickup are nice -> my son & wife like the larger moon roof that goes until the rear seat row! -> Mileage is good on highways where braking is limited. (In certain long highway trips i achieved mpg of 34 as well!). But when i drove in shorter distances with long time intervals mileage drops to around 21 mpg or so. -> I wish the rear view mirror is slightly bigger as well as the backup camera screen. -> Lot of cargo space. this was able to accommodate about 6 baggage pieces when i picked up by friend's family recently from airport."