2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,882 - $22,517.

10/7.5

8.0

Based on 80 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
Previous | 1 ... 6 7 8 | Next

Nimble handling, tight turn circle, pleasant ride

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Great handling and airy feel in the cabin."

Cons: "nav, limited storage up front, must get moonroof"

"We bought this car, wanting to downsize from a minivan, but retain some cargo carrying ability. I love how this car drives. It corners and handles like a dream. The sitting position is great -- you are up and can see the road. We got the "eyesight" feature wich dutifully beeps when you change lanes without signalling or approach some object and brake later than it likes. The adaptive cruise control works very well -- it's actually usable even with some traffic. I've been getting as high as 31 MPG highway and usually in the mid twenties combined. City driving is lower than the EPA numbers of course. Acceleration is adequate, though not wonderful -- we did not get the turbo model and preferred the mileage numbers. As for criticisms, I'd first mention that the navigation system is sub-par, not intuitive and Subaru has made it impossible for a passenger to use it while the car is moving -- something we dislike. It's not always possible to pull over and come to a stop and if your passenger is there its silly to limit it. Too much brig-brother there I'd say. The middle console/armrest is smallish, the storage inside is small and the coin holder blocks easy access inside. The glove box isnt large. The front storage area is open and smallish as well. The visibility in the car is great for the most part, but the rear window seems small and reduces rear view vision. Be nice if that window were bigger and also the left and right exterior mirrors could have slightly larger fields of view. I also don't like that we had to give up 6 cu/ft of cargo space for a "moonroof" we will never use. This should be an optional item even on high trim levels. Unless you get the base model, you must get the moonroof and will not get the advertised 74 cu/ft of cargo space as a result. However, this car all in all, seems great. The complaints seem minor compared to the overall quality, price and safety attributes."

Seats are worse than a spanish torture chair!

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Good visibilty, Features, etc."

Cons: "Worst car seats known to man."

"My god. These seats are so painful to sit in after an hour that I had to stop driving it. I can tolerate a quick trip to the grocery store... but that's about it. The issue for me is the seat back. The lumbar support is way too agressive and can't be dialed down enough. It's also too high and the side bolsters don't have enough padding to cover the metal frame where the lumbar support motor is housed. It digs into my right side. A secondary annoyance is the left foot position. I only wear a size 10.5 shoe, and my toes are pushed up and backwards the stupid bracket that's right where my toes should naturally rest. If you don't know what I'm talking about... go sit in a Ford Escape and put your foot on the foot rest. Then do to the same thing in a 2014 Forester (or any Subaru for that matter). You'll see what I mean. Other than the absolutely atrocious and painful drivers seat, the car is great! But because of the atrocious and painful driver seat, the car is horrible! Do Not Buy. Bad Subaru. You need to be punished."

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

"I purchased this car about 2 weeks ago, dark grey, with the tan interior. 2.5 Premium Trim. I test drove the XT (which was a blast, but I wont drive this often and the use of premium fuel, as well as lower mileage, at a higher price takes a toll on your wallet after a while) Exterior: With this fresh re-design this car is probably the sexiest boxy car you'll see. I think it looks great, as well as the use-able cargo space is unbeatable. This is probably the most functional car I've ever had, as well as the most spacious, with the low slung hood, and dash far away, I'm 6'3 and I cant even sit with the seats all the way back in the passenger seat(as there is too much room!) (its that spacious) Back seat has plenty of room and doors that open 90degrees for easy access. All that said it drives well, and you will not find a better SUV with such superb visibility and no blind spots. The moonroof is massive and makes me want to get outside more often! The interior design is spacious, open and put together well. While this 2.5i boxer engine mated with the new CVT transmission is not "fast" it is sufficient, fun to drive, as well as makes a nice sound (unlike the outlander). The CVT is very smooth,quiet, and does not feel like a CVT. We have experienced about 28mpg on the 1st 2 tanks of gas, mostly traffic-laden city/hwy driving to-fro work. On the open highway we've noticed around 32-34mpg. The Electronic fuel gagets and wheel slip monitors are entertaining and possibly useful, if you're driving offroad (I've only noticed it have any change in the AWD appearance when driving on extreme wet pavement) Interior. The cloth is nice, and stay cool, even in direct sunlight, but the leather would be more durable if you can spill the extra 2-3k on the limited model. The back seats recline, which is nice for a long trip. There is a little wind noise, but its minimal and is comparable in noise to the CX-5 front seat noise, (back seat noise of the CX-5 Is much louder)"

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."

Nice all-around vehicle

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Economical, AWD, comfortable, spacious, fun drive"

Cons: "Lacking in towing capacity when needed"

"I own a 2.5i Touring Forester and i bought this mainly for its mpg rating and its AWD. It drives and handles well and I didn't have any problem with its seats. Maybe its dimensions fits my driving position well. Took a 4-hour drive in it with no problem. Visibility is awesome in this vehicle and for me it contributes to the safety aspect a lot. Cargo space is very respectable especially with the seats down. Also, the seats can be folded down with just one flick of a switch. That and the power rear gate adds to the convenience aspect. One thing that bothers me a bit is that I usually have a hard time latching the seats back up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the process. The infotainment system is good but not really impressive. Its a bit complicated to use but with the help of a little product manual reading, I think I can manage. Most of the settings are disabled while the vehicle is moving. I understand the safety issue but most of the time I have my wife beside me as my "Navigator". Still, its a very functional system and I still prefer an in-dash satnav over a little windshield mounted one. I had the upgraded sound system and it sounds really well. The Forester isn't exactly top of the line when it comes with styling but it certainly a fierce competitor when it comes to safety, reliability and fuel economy. It takes me to where i want to go on or off road, and most importantly through Iowa snow and ice. This car isn't the most powerful there is especially with the cvt transmission, but with a small sacrifice of power and acceleration, it has great gas mileage and its a major factor in my decision when buying a car. Towing capacity if I'm not mistaken is only 1500 lbs. Something to consider if you're into towing something heavy."

Great visibility and very comfortable

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Incrediblity versatile vehcile"

Cons: "None to think of."

Green Subaru

"I have been test driving cars for 3 years trying to find the right one. When I tested the 2014 Forester, I knew this was the car. I love the great visibility and the looks of the interior and exterior (I bought a green Limited). The backup camera is great. Excellent leg room for back seat passengers (I'm tall and so is my family and many of my friends.) As for the seats, they are extremely comfortable, I have the light gray leather - I could use them as livingroom chairs. I do drive on bumpy steep dirt roads to access great hiking. The X-mode is really nice, it almost drives the car for you. This is a car you can take off road and to nicest country clubs and feel right at home. Lots of really nice options on it - like reclining rear seats, fuel comsumption displays, integrated bluetooth with excellent sound quality and mircrophones."

Green Subaru

love it!

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive; handling; visibility; AWD; MPG"

Cons: "could be smoother on frost heaves... ;-)"

"I've been looking for the a small suv/cuv for the last two years, driving everything in this class and I'm am so glad I waited. It is comfortable, great MPG, peppy, easy to drive, and with terrific visibility - even on multi-lane highways in heavy traffic."

Be sure to take it on an extended test drive!

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, peppy, good handling & mpg"

Cons: "The seats can cause physical leg and back pain!"

"If you can tolerate the seats, you'll love this vehicle. I'd been test driving cars for a couple of months and finally took my wife out to test drive the cars I liked best. We got into the new 2014 Forester 2.5i and she LOVED it just like me! Quiet, responsive handling, smooth ride, and nicely equipped. Luckily we took it on an extended test drive instead of just around the block. After 20 minutes our legs and backs were feeling uncomfortable. After 40 minutes it was just downright painful. The seats are too short, too narrow, and the passenger seat is too high! (my wife also felt like the driver's seat was leaning to the left, which I had never noticed.) We were so disappointed since we loved every other aspect of the vehicle. Afterwards I searched the internet and found that Subaru seats have caused back and leg pain in hundreds of customers. Some of them lost thousands of dollars because they had to sell or trade it in for a new car because they couldn't tolerate the seats. So make sure to take it on an extended test drive. Come on Subaru! Listen to your customers! People shouldn't have to find after market solutions to seating discomfort in a brand new vehicle!"

Big step up from previous Foresters

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Refined, nice to drive, well engineered"

Cons: "Hard seat bottoms, small nav icons"

"A thoroughly refined XT from past models: Ride's firm without being harsh and free from rear end pogo/rattles. More precise handling and less lean in turns. Interior offers many soft touch surfaces and fine fit/finish. HVAC and main controls easy to use, though navigation screen icons are small and easily missed. Useful vehicle status screen shows many aspects of car performance and has limited message programming. X-Mode reduces tire spin on slippery surfaces. Much lower noise levels on all but the coarsest roads. Seats well finished but limited bolstering and somewhat hard seat bottoms."

Previous | 1 ... 6 7 8 | Next