2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,168 - $22,811.

10/7.5

8.2

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."

Great Fuel Economy, Amazing Value! Great Buy!

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "navigation/bluetooth isn't the best."

"I had been looking for a new suv to replace my 2005 Honda Element (which I loved, but the fuel costs were getting too high). I looked at several small SUVs, and liked some features on each, but just was never sold. I looked at the Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson before stumbling onto the Forester. I wanted something with good creature comforts, (like bluetooth, sat radio, power seats) but didn't cost a high end price. I found the 2014 Forester, and with it being a brand new model, my local dealer only had one, a 2.5 Premium edition with the all weather package. It was my luck that it had every feature I wanted, plus more, and was cheaper than other models I was looking at. I have taken several road trips of 400+ miles in it, and never had an issue with comfort or performance. The fuel economy runs me on average around 29 mpg, and have gotten up to 36 mpg on a long road trip with cruise set. My only complaint is the radio/navigation unit. It is not as user friendly as others, and can be time consuming working with it. Overall, though it is something I can work through and live with. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great economical SUV!"

Fantastic value, great ride, fab view of road

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great price, smooth ride, fun to drive,"

Cons: "Front seats"

"* Fantastic value for an SUV, compared to CRV/RAV4 * Some folks expressed apprehensions over the CVT, but it's a very smooth driving experience. * Great exteriors, more SUV-like than its predecessors * Like the high-ride. Good view of the road & surroundings. Also easy for folks to get in and out of, especially folks who may have back issues and hence have problems getting in and out of smaller cars/sedans. * Big windows, good view of the road. This is in comparison to the CRV and RAV4 which seem very narrow in terms of their view of the road and surroundings. * Like the lamps on the mirrors and doors which illuminate your path when you get out of the car * Pretty huge moon-roof * Decent instrument panel and dials are easy to read * Might not have spent enough time with all the features on the instrumentation panel, but it's not that easy to deal with. * Have the all-weather package and like the warmed front seats and the mirror warmers * The seats are something which other owners would also have mentioned as needing some improvement. They are comfortable to a large extent, but could be better. * The AC/heater is also something which needs improvement. To have a decent temperature inside the car, it often needs to be at level 2. Folks in the back seat don't get enough air unless it's at level 2. * The back seats are quite comfortable, and have a lot of leg room. * The boot is quite spacious and can accommodate 3-4 huge suitcases (29") and 4 cabin luggage (20") * Like the rear view camera. Also: * Like the fact that there are a lot of cup holders * Like the storage area between the passenger and driver seats - good space for change, cables and creams."

Amazing Car for the Money

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Visibility, MPG, cargo and rear leg room"

Cons: "Seats could be better, weird trim levels"

"I am reviewing the 2.5 Limited with CVT. I bought this car about three months ago after researching a lot of other cars and i have to say that for that amount of money (About $27,000) you will not find a better crossover. The visibility is the best in any SUV that I have ever seen. You can see everything while driving this car. Windows are huge and the mirrors are perfectly positioned to not obstruct your view. The gas mileage is also outstanding. I am currently averaging 28.5 MPG with a mixture of about 30% highway and 70% city, which I am very pleased about. The cargo space and back seat leg room and comfort are amazing. The CVT takes a few weeks to get used to because it's different than a traditional automatic but I think people, for some reason, make too much fuss about it in reviews and test drives. It's not a sports car. It has enough response and power for the type of car and I never find myself wishing for a more powerful engine. The interior is very functional and quick to access compared to the Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, it doesn't have the most top of the line entertainment system, but everything is extremely quick and convenient to use. Climate control, bluetooth, MPG and trip data and graphs, it's all there and accessible with a press of a button. I never have to look for something. I know exactly where it is. Very intuitive design. The only problem I see with the car is that the leather seats are a bit bland and not exactly well made. They are flat and very basic. The Crosstek's seats are much nicer than the Forester's. I wish they were a bit more contoured to your body. Another disappointment were the packages. The Premium, Limited and Touring trims just have just a weird combination of features that do not really make sense when you are shopping for the car. The GPS is also a joke and that's why I opted not to buy it. I wish it was a bit more in line with the overall quality of the car. Overall, I think that for a car priced under $30,000 you can't get a better vehicle. Yes, it's not as polished as an Audi or a BMW...but once again, if you want better seats or some top of the line tech, you will have to spend close to $40,000. But the overall package with this vehicle for the money is outstanding."

Great Value

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "A lot of features for the price."

Cons: "Small size of flat screen display."

"After comparing features and price, I bought the 2014 Forester/Premium with the all weather package. The Ford Explorer and Mazda CX-5 cost several $1000 more to get the same features. I have been getting far better mileage than is stated on the sticker (over 30 mpg city vs 24 shown on the sticker). The car is quiet, comfortable and has plenty of room in the back seat. The ride is a little stiff compared with a car, but if you want an SUV capable of off-road, that is to be expected.Takes the bumps very well. The 175 hp engine is very responsive and does not strain on acceleration. I can cruise at highway speeds at a bit less than 2000 rpm. The only knock on this car is the somewhat small size of the flat screen display. However, the various displays are easy to toggle through and program. Setting up my cell phone for blue tooth was also straightforward. It could all be done from the controls on the steering wheel. My previous car was a 2005 Forester and the 2014 is a huge leap in interior room, features, comfort and power."