2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,270 - $21,853.

10/7.5

8.0

Based on 115 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

I love my new Forester!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, great mileage & fun to drive."

Cons: "Small nav screen."

"I bought this to replace my manual 2003 Forester XS. It was still going strong, but I wanted more room, and an auto. transmission now. I find this car very comfortable, and easy to drive. I love the seats, and the huge sunroof! I see that some people are complaining about seat comfort. I am 5'7", and I am very comfortable in the drivers seat. Haven't heard any passenger complaints from the front or rear either. Anyway, this car is quiet, has great visibility, lots of room, and gets excellent mileage. I find the backup camera to be very helpful. I enjoy driving this car, and feel safe when doing so. I am very happy with my purchase :-)!"

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

So good I traded a 2014 for a 2015 Touring

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great mileage, well appointed."

Cons: "Needs a bit better interior finishes"

"I had purchased a 2014 Forester Touring as a replacement to an 2012 Acura MDX. Acura lost me as a lifetime customer over a major mechanical problem at 2200 miles and their failure to find and fix the problem on the first try. Coming from an MDX, I was used to luxury and I was surprised at how easily I adjusted to the Forester. It even had a few features that the MDX did not. However, it had a couple that I found I hated which is the main reason I traded the 14 for a 15 without the problem features. The Eyesight system was really annoying. I suppose if you are a poor driver or are prone to being unobservant, it might be for you. But driving into my office with a roundabout with the post box off to the side, it saw it as an obstacle and beeped all the time. I hated the Eyesight cruise control system and instead used the standard one all the time (it took getting out the manual to figure out how to not use the Eyesight version--too complicated). The nav/stereo was absolutely terrible. Save your money and your aggravation. The 15 has Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers but the head unit is simple and intuitive and the voice dialing system actually works! I was never able to get the nav/stereo in the other car to work with audio commands. Also, one more note, with the nav/stereo, there is no knob to change the stereo channel, you have to hit up/down arrows on the screen in a moving car. Fine if you know and can preset all the channels, but not if you travel somewhere else and need to search for a channel. With those two tech issues gone with this car, I'm loving it all over it again. I get great MPG that was only dream land in the MDX. It won't set speed records, but it does the job just fine. I don't feel underpowered really and it sticks to the road. In the wintertime, living on a hill, it did fantastically. I wish Subaru would keep the simplicity of controls and features but bump up the quality of the interior just a bit more. Overall though, its a great car, so great that I bought another one which ought to be a big endorsement by itself."

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."

Big step up from previous Foresters

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Refined, nice to drive, well engineered"

Cons: "Hard seat bottoms, small nav icons"

"A thoroughly refined XT from past models: Ride's firm without being harsh and free from rear end pogo/rattles. More precise handling and less lean in turns. Interior offers many soft touch surfaces and fine fit/finish. HVAC and main controls easy to use, though navigation screen icons are small and easily missed. Useful vehicle status screen shows many aspects of car performance and has limited message programming. X-Mode reduces tire spin on slippery surfaces. Much lower noise levels on all but the coarsest roads. Seats well finished but limited bolstering and somewhat hard seat bottoms."