2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,244 - $21,857.

10/7.5

8.2

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

My wife and I love this car

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "Still trying to think of one!"

"Have you seen the offset crash tests? 2014 Forester aced it. This is my wife's car; I feel good about her safety! This is a well engineered and built car. We bought the Ice Silver Metallic with platinum cloth interior; absolutely beautiful . Mileage as advertised, 27 city, 32 or more highway. Roomier than you can imagine for its class, quiet, great ride and responsiveness. Best of all is the visibility especially with the sky roof. Can't wait for the first road trip! Now I know what they mean by saying "Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.""

Best Subaru I have driven

By on Sunday, May 10, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy, visibility, safe road manners"

Cons: "Hard to find ext. colors, light gray interior"

"I have had this vehicle for a little over 2 months and am considering buying another one - one that I will get to drive. I have put a little over 1000 miles on it and now must turn it over to a younger driver. It passes all the requirements and gives me a feeling of comfort that the younger driver will be safe. The interior looks ok - light gray seats are a concern for soda spills - so I will 'scotchguard' and hope for the best.. Sound system is kind of ho hum - but I didn't get the radio upgrade (maybe next time - at least for me..). Visibility is great - sitting high enough but not truck like. I am astounded with the gas mileage. I was concerned when I picked up at the dealer (127 miles on odometer) with an average 24 mpg on the indicator. I traded in an Impreza that averaged 35 mpg so I get more vehicle & better positioning. Filling up at 450 miles I calculated mpg at 32 mpg. Feeling better I zeroed out the gages and took off. Second tank of gas lasted 490 miles and the mpg indicator said 36 mpg. I calculated 37.2 mpg. Very impressed with the efficiency. Not crazy about the CVT transmission. It is what it is. It is tons better than the earlier CVT in the 2 year old Impreza. You can adjust and the only real objection will be when you first get in for the first time - or get in a hurry and zoom from the light unexpectedly. I have cars that are 'zoom-zoom' fun, trucks that are 'built like a rock', and while I am happy with their execution of their intended purposes, the Forester is a star. Not the quietest vehicle on the road - chip/seal surfaces come thru loud and clear. A little transmission 'hum' that you will notice on long drives (use the volume knob on the sound system and you won't notice it). Quieter than the 'zoom-zoom' car... I feel safe, I get great mpg, great visibility. I hope it lasts 10 years. After the Impreza (not a car I would recommend), I am again a Subaru fan."

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

Learning to love my Subaru

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "safety, smooth, grounded ride, AWD"

Cons: "interior design"

"I looked around at all the main cars in the class, quickly ruled out the pricey Buick and VW (why not just buy an Audi if you want to spend $40K on a VW). I looked hard at Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Hyundai and Subaru (also the Outback). The Chevy didn't seem to hold up to the others and Hyundai didn't seem any cheaper for the same specs I was looking at--who buys a 2 wheel drive crossover in Utah? I would have loved to like the Mazda, but it's smaller inside and the Nissan needs an overhaul. I don't need the Ford's extras and it seems to lag Toyota / Honda. I settled on either Honda (which seems to marginally edge Toyota in most reviews) or Subaru--after driving them both several times, the Honda just has no "go". Really struggled uphill. It was nicer inside--better interior design by far I think, but the AWD on Subaru can't be beaten in this class. Also, Ford, Toyota, Honda have really sacrificed vision for styling. Having a tiny back window / side windows means you're forced to take the standard backup camera in Honda--the rear window is useless if you have small kids who may be playing behind. The Subaru feels much airier--the windows are big. Really big and the backup camera isn't an expensive addition, nor is it needed--I can see my 2 year old if he's just a couple feet behind the car. The blindspot is smaller on my Forester than it is on my sedan. The Subaru isn't built to impress visually--although the exterior styling is really growing on me. It almost forbids soccer moms from driving one, which is the opposite of mom-wagon magnet CR-V / Rav 4. That said, this is my wife's vehicle and it works great. The center armrest in the back seat wouldn't decline in the CR-V with our car seat, but it does easily in the Subaru, which really does feel larger inside. I would have loved a little more effort to go into the interior design--the dashboard of Honda should be the standard for other manufacturers, but my Subaru feels solid, drives smoothly and feels grounded on the road, and will handle the snow better than any other car in this class given the 100% AWD. The mpg is also better than the competition on the new 2014--Mazda is probably similar, but the CX-5 is just a little small, and I still see a huge smile on the front of the updated model. Finally, no other vehicle in this class did as well as the Forester for safety. With this car hauling my wife and kids around, safety is important. I feel confident she'll be protected while driving this--at least compared with the competition. It's also really nice to drive, at least for someone who isn't planning to enter Nascar anytime soon."

15K on back roads - still going great!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "AWD - Visibility - Turning radius - Easy to wash"

Cons: "Backup camera not standard on base - yet."

"I use my base 2014 Forester 2.5i delivering mail on the kind of roads you see in commercials, about 1K miles each week. No complaints or compliments on the ride, handling or options. Everything works fine. The AWD system is the best drivetrain I have ever driven on slick, rutted, muddy roads. No other vehicle has ever come close (I spend a lot of time on these kinds of roads). Visibility is much better than most vehicles. Gas mileage matches ratings but skyrockets up to near 40mpg if you can keep your speed 50mph or lower. Turning radius is very tight making manuevering tight places simple and fun (this is a bigger plus than a one line mention). Radio is average but adding a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat makes it as good as any factory stereo. My use for the Forester is strictly utility. For family use, I would buy the Premium model which has many nice features for not much more money."