2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,051 - $21,666.

10/7.5

8.1

Based on 98 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Perfect travel/commuter

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

"Have owned a Forester for the past 4 months. No oil burning issues in my 2015 as many '14 owners have complained about. It's easy to drive and has a solid amount of get up and go with the new CVT transmission. Several big name reviewers were critical about it but I just love it. averaging ~26.4mpg (This is an actual estimate and not just trusting my digital readout) It is however my first automatic vehicle. Engine is very simple to work on should the need arise and no brainer for scheduled maintenance. Kind of an amazing feet considering how technically complicated most vehicles are these days. Oil filter is right on top of the motor oddly enough. I don't even have to bend down to remove it. It's almost too easy to drive with the addition of EyeSight. It can easily be set to stop and go in traffic which is AMAZING coming home from a long day at work or for long drives. The cabin is spacious and well suited for two people and a dog. Easily suited for 4 humans of any size and room for at least one large animal in back. My only complaints are the unidentified rattle in the dashboard plastics and the fact that the four washer fluid spouts use quite a bit of fluid. It's not typical for me to replenish on a bi-weekly basis."

fabulous car, great in snow and rain.

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"I traded in my Lincoln Navigator for this great little putt putt. I just love it. It's glam enough for me. Another member of my family has now bought one. Only complaint is that the gas mileage advertised has not been reached. My instruments tell me that I only get 23 miles per gal. not the 32 advertised."

Oil Consumption Problems

By on Thursday, March 05, 2015

Pros: "Drives Good"

Cons: "Oil Burning Bummer"

"This car consumes 1 qt. per every 3000 miles, low oil light comes on. Has done this from day one, dealer says this is normal, it's not normal to have to drag around spare oil to top up your new car in between oil changes. This is a common problem in the later model Subaru's, google it. Would not recommend this vehicle."

1 st SUV

By on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pros: "Safety, MPG 27 around town and 32 hwy"

Cons: "radio controls"

"I bought cause I needed a vehicle that I didn't need to bend over or jump into, my civic coupe was just too hard to get into and out of. My knees are "older" lol. Visibility outward and Fuel consumptions is excellent in and around Houston TX. I purchased with the eyesight system and I have to say I am impressed at the level of technology. It actually makes you a better driver. I would purchase again, but I would not buy the navigation again."

2015 Forester Great handling and comfortable ride.

By on Thursday, February 05, 2015

Pros: "Great reliability and resale"

Cons: "Interior looks cheap"

"The Subaru Forester 2.5 Touring is the first SUV I've purchased. I've had it for 4 months and it handles well in the snow. No issues so far. Just wish the interior was more upscale--cheap looking dashboard and doors."

The best car we've ever owned

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Pros: "Looks great and has excellent engineering."

Cons: "Wife always takes the car."

"We've had a host of different makes of cars (VW, BMW, Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, Chevy, Toyota). This Subaru is an "honest" car - no glitz, nothing fancy. The 250 hp turbo is awesome, and the suspension gives you real contact with the road. It is bright inside, with great visibility. The best thing about this car is that it does not look like a Subaru, which has made fairly ugly cars for years. The Forester 2.0 XT get looks everywhere it goes. Have not driven it in snow or off road yet, but expect it to handle extremely well. The only problem is that my wife rarely lets me drive it, rather leaving her BMW in the driveway instead."

awesome car

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Pluses: roomy; good gas mileage @ 27 mpg combined; excellent visibility from the driver's position; huge panoramic sunroof; strong off-the-line acceleration, especially in sport+ mode; great handling; adaptive cruise works as advertised Minuses: navigation is horrible; requires premium fuel for best performance"

Great Car to Own -- traded 2014 for 201

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Good gas milage. Looks nice. Lock button on lift g"

Cons: "Driver's seat comfort.. see review."

"2015 Model gets a better gas mileage than 2014. Long distance driving gets a bit tiring as I am 6'2" and to reach the steering wheel comfortably I need to move seat forward a bit, which cramps my legs a bit. For local short drives seat back all the way is okay. The driver seat hits my back a little wrong and I have to use a small pillow in the seat gap. Could use a cargo compartment light. I do like being able to lock the auto w/ a button on the lift gate (do not have to fumble for key fob when I exit)."

"Love" my 2014 Subaru Forester!

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, safe"

"Excellent gas mileage, very comfy leather heated seats, great visibility!!! Handles well in snow... Plows on through with no effort. Driving is relaxed and makes you feel safe especially in heavy traffic. Peppy enough for the highway. Sunroof...WOW...open the windows and catch the breeze or lay back and gaze at the stars. Only thing missing is a factory installed satellite radio, but a satellite vehicle kit serves the purpose."

Awesome gas mileage for an SUV and great work car!

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice driving, great gas mileage, and legroom."

Cons: "Could use a cargo light in the back."

"Great driving vehicle and I am impressed by the fuel economy! Never thought I would be averaging 28 MPG around town in an SUV. Was at first skeptical of CVT, but liked its feel during the test drive and it didn't feel much different than a traditional automatic. 2.5L flat 4 has plenty of power for passing and merging on the short on notoriously short on ramps that New York's parkways are famous for. Was happy to see the Allow Wheel Package come out in 2015, and it had everything I wanted for a work car(roof racks, CVT, seat protectors, bumper guards, all weather floor mats) without excessive frills. Base radio has great sound, and noise filtering on AM that cuts down on the static. Bluetooth, ability to play music off USB jump drive, and auxiliary 1/8" input(for daughter's Ipod) make it a great system. Also, there is an extra 12V socket for your GPS. One of the biggest selling points, however, is the very roomy back seat which gives my teenagers plenty of leg room. Towing capacity is limited to 1500lbs, but I was able to easily install an aftermarket hitch, to mount my Thule bike rack."

VERY DISAPPOINTED

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"My entire family has had subarus. I bought this one when our child was born hoping to keep it until she was in her teenage years. I have had several issues with it burning oil. Dealership has been unhelpful. Subaru has been helpful. Now looking to offload it and will not be buying a Subaru again."

Wonderfull vehicle

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "Great 34mpg/ 25 mpg AWD. good power, visability"

Cons: "center console to deep."

First day at its new home

"I have a 2014 forester with 7600 miles. I purchased the car new 1 year ago to this exact day. I am 6o years old and have owned 50 or more cars in my life. I have to say this car is tops. The price was great, Love the AWD, the 175 HP with CVT is all the power you need. I also have two dogs and my Wife and I travel some so there is all the room we need including the dogs. The HWY milage is 32-34 MPG and around town 23-25MPG. Set the cruse at a reasonable speed on the interstate and hitting 34 MPG is easy. Nothing has broken, just change the oil and rotate the tires. The oil is completely synthetic, no using the cheap stuff. The only complaint is the center console. The storage compartment is to deep, hard to see into without a flashlight. Otherwise Great ride."

First day at its new home

great vehicle,vision is teriffic,comfort ride

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "Trouble free car,good mileage,comfort ride &vision"

Cons: "Lots of room and storage."

"reason for selling. wife and I are no longer working. No need for two cars. Wife has new Lexus."

Excellent Vehicle that checks off all of the boxes

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Value, features, mileage, seating position."

Cons: "Can't think of anything"

"I recently purchased my Subaru Forester Limited after being in a serious car accident that totaled my Honda Civic Si. It caused me to reevaluate my driving style and priorities as I'm the father of a 9 year-old daughter. I was immediately impressed by the IIHS crash/safety ratings as well as the review by Consumer Reports. Quite simply---in the eyes of the those entities the vehicle is extremely safe and the top of its class. I've been extremely satisfied with the vehicle post-purchase for many reasons. The driving position and outward views are very good. I routinely am able to get 26 mpg in city driving and much, much better on the road---34 to 36 is quite obtainable and I've even reached 42 driving merely the speed limit on flat stretches. The CVT takes some getting used to and as a automotive enthusiast I was resigned to the fact that it was an ends to a means. Surprisingly, the CVT yields not only good mileage but also quite reasonable performance. It keeps the engine always in the sweet spot of the torque curve. I opted for the Limited trim model because I intend to have the vehicle for quite some time and I'm glad that I did. The Harman Kardon sound system is fantastic. Very good response across the sound spectrum and very good bass without a dedicated subwoofer. The navigation system works just fine and the rest of the electronics have performed well and without incident---although I confess that I've not taken the time to use the voice-activated features. Bluetooth for the cellphone seems to be fine for me for now. The rear seat features lots of space for my little one and her occasional friend. The general fit and finish of the vehicle is also quite good. The All Wheel Drive system is well-known with Subarus and performs well....always able to get power down without wheel slippage and this must also help acceleration which again, is quite serviceable. It's hard to believe that an SUV with AWD can consistently obtain such good mileage. Also--keep in mind that it takes regular gasoline. I've found that on average I get better mileage than when I was driving (albeit much faster) my 6 speed Civic Si. Couple that with using regular (87) gasoline vs. premium (93) and savings abound. The Subaru Forester is not the sexiest automotive purchase that you will make. I could have purchased a similarly sized SUV from a luxury brand that would have cost 15k to 20k more. But why? For $31,500 out the door with tax, tag--everything---you get a vehicle that is safe, practical, reliable and an incredible value. I never thought that I'd buy an SUV. I could not be more pleased with my purchase."

Best Forester Ever!

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "A great mix of safety, quality, comfort and value."

Cons: "No heated steering wheel or remote start included."

"Compared to my wife's 2011 Forester Premium model, my 2015 Touring (no nav or eyesight): A quieter, roomier and far more comfortable cabin with excellent visibility. HK amps/speakers with outstanding imaging and tonal quality Keyless entry. Remote/push button rear hatch. CVT takes getting use to but offers adequate power and excellent gas mileage. Improved sun visors with pullout extenders and darker window tinting. Only negative is ride quality. Less car like. More SUV like. No one in my family finds ride quality intolerable. Ride varies with different surfaces so test drive as you would normally drive it. If you want the ride of a luxury sedan, buy a luxury sedan. Suggested improvements: Heated steering wheel Remove / relocate rear hatch opening adjustment button Include remote start Overall, the folks at Consumer Reports and Motor Trend got it right based on my time behind the wheel,"

Good vehicle, poor center console design

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "Easy on gas, nice interior overall"

Cons: "Questionable door panel styling and center console"

"I love the vehicle overall, however there are a few pain points inside for a larger driver. I did not notice these when buying the car and am lamenting it now, I should have gone with a slightly higher price and the Outback. As a 6' 4" guy who is on the larger side the Forester offered plenty of leg room overall and though the seat is a bit narrow than my preferred, but not overly so. The major gripe I have with this vehicle comes in the form of the center console and the inside door panel where the controls are. This might be just me but when I'm driving I rest my knees on either side, in this case my right knee hits right where they decided to have a pointy corner as the center console goes up to meet the dash, and the left leg rests right on the edge that is pushed out to angle the window controls. Both combine to give me an uncomfortable ride and questionable brake and gas control. I'm sure those areas are fine for many people, but if you are a larger person these are things to watch for when testing out a new Forester."

Love this car!

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "great driving car"

Cons: "added fog lights/ use them always"

"My husband and I love how quiet and smooth the ride is. We can travel anywhere now.We have a turbo and love that additional plus."

Very good choice

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "pretty good price"

Cons: "no key less back opening of door"

"I really like this vehicle. All around good car, great handling, great for viewing back up, lane changes. the only thing I would want is a push button opening for rear door. If I have groceries, I have to set them down to get in the back. My Camry had it and I loved it! I love the large sun roof!! The seats aren't great for long trips."

Very unconfortable SUV

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Easy access, fair gas mileage"

Cons: "Very uncomfortable, a chore to drive"

"I have owned this car for a few weeks now and very disappointed. I am 6'2" and don't fit the car. The distance from the pedals to the steering wheel is to short. If I slide the seat closer for comfortable steering my legs are cramped if I back the seat up then my arms are stretched out to reach the wheel. The drivers seat is very uncomfortable and no combination of seat and steering wheel adjustment makes it comfortable. The dash illumination is a hideous red which is distracting when driving at night. There is a lot of road noise that makes listening to the radio difficult. At high RPM it sounds like the engine is going to explode. I have a half hour commute and can't wait to get out of this vehicle each day."

4th forester - the worst one

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

"Clumsy dull steering, very poor seating, too few compartments, miserable little backup screen, off -centered instrument cluster, rough ride. Good gas mileage. Should have bought the last of the 2013's."

Very Happy with My First Subaru: 2014 Forester XT

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, fun, fast, quiet, and capable."

Cons: "No manual offered in turbo models. No hood scoop!"

"Overall, the 2014 Forester XT is a great car. I've always liked Subaru's cars, and decided to take a closer look at owning one when a major automotive magazine recently named the Forester the SUV of the Year. My previous car was an awesome 4WD Xterra Off Road, but it wasn't good on gas, and had well over 100k miles. The XT doesn't have a lot of torque at the low end like I was used to, but the mid-range power is really impressive. Another reviewer said it perfectly: "it feels like you're getting sucked into a vacuum" when accelerating. Opening the engine up on a straightaway is the point when you realize what you paid for when you opted for the XT's 250 horsepower, 2.0 liter, turbocharged engine. The base engine is adequate, but takes a lot of the fun out of driving. I simply couldn't accept the base engine after driving the turbo version, but others may find it suitable enough. My last car was a torquey 6-speed manual, so I was worried about the CVT, but it's actually really nice. The paddle shifters and different driving modes also let you customize your driving experience, but I honestly don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would. The default "intelligent" driving mode helps you sip gas a little better, and if you step on it, it'll launch you ahead no matter which mode you're in. It is by far the best CVT I've ever driven after being let down by several rental cars' sluggish and loud attempts. Handling is awesome for a small SUV; it corners really well and traction starts to slip in a very predictable manner. The only mild off-road test so far was passed with no problem. The mpg ratings are fair. I've gotten 26+ mpg's on multiple tanks with mostly mixed driving back and forth to work and the grocery store, and as little as 18 when I stayed on the turbo a lot. If I don't do 90 mph, I can get 30+ on highway for sustained periods. The inside is very quiet. Like, it makes me feel a lil' sleepy sometimes when I'm driving. The interior is nice, but not extravagant. Seats are ok overall; the rear seats recline, and the driver's seat is power-adjustable, but they lack sufficient lateral support when you take a corner at high speed. There's a small screen in the dash for conveying various forms of info, and when in reverse, it displays the backup cam's signal. For me, it's the right balance of features and simplicity. I added the factory-supplied Kicker speaker upgrades all around, then installed a Kicker under-seat powered subwoofer and small amplifier for the other speakers, but kept the factory radio. Everything is hidden away so it has the same stock look, so there are no wires, boxes, etc., but it sounds amazing, even at 70 mph with the windows and sunroof down. I also added some accessories: Aero bars, trailer hitch (for bike rack), cargo nets in the side/rear, moof roof wind reflector, tinted front windows to match the rear, fog lights, pet partition (expensive but solid design), and all-weather mats. Although I sometimes wish I still had a stick-shift, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It has turned out to be the perfect car for me/us so far. My biggest complaint is that they got rid of the hood scoop, so it's safe to say there's not much to complain about."

Very good ride!, excellent handling,

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy to get in and out,"

Cons: "Cheap radio, No satelite radio option in mine"

"I have traded my 2012 Tdi jetta due to a glow plug issues, dealer was not able to find, even that his car was real good on gas, about 42 MPG city/Highway. I was not happy with reliability. I purchased a 2014 Outback for my wife and loved it, this was the main reason to look for a Forester. Test drove it and I was impressed how easy is to get in and out. I have a herniated disc and had surgery. So, it sits high, to my hip level. Also, you can see everything outside, very large cargo space and it is extremely easy to get things in and out. Gas wise, good for an SUV, good power, I have not test it yet in snow, but I am looking forward this winter when I go to Ontario. I do not have a lot of experience with SUVS but I really love the vehicle"

Great car except for complex (NAV) setup.

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Ease of entry/exit, roomy, fun to drive."

Cons: "Poor visibility on rear camera screen, complex Nav"

"I got the Limited because I wanted leather seats, eyesite, and the auto rear door. I wish I had got the Premium model with the eyesite (no Navigation) and bought the leather seats post market. You cannot see the tiny rear camera screen far up on the dash in the daytime because of the glare and size. I often use the rear camera screen on my Leaf which is much larger and closer. The seats could be softer, I added a cushion on trips. But other than that, it handles like a sport car. The 2.5L engine accelerates nicely and uses reg gas. This quiet car produces quality CD/Radio sound after you figure out how to set the stations. The main reason I bought this SUV instead of a sedan is the ease of entry/exit. I have trouble bending into low cars."

So good I traded a 2014 for a 2015 Touring

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great mileage, well appointed."

Cons: "Needs a bit better interior finishes"

"I had purchased a 2014 Forester Touring as a replacement to an 2012 Acura MDX. Acura lost me as a lifetime customer over a major mechanical problem at 2200 miles and their failure to find and fix the problem on the first try. Coming from an MDX, I was used to luxury and I was surprised at how easily I adjusted to the Forester. It even had a few features that the MDX did not. However, it had a couple that I found I hated which is the main reason I traded the 14 for a 15 without the problem features. The Eyesight system was really annoying. I suppose if you are a poor driver or are prone to being unobservant, it might be for you. But driving into my office with a roundabout with the post box off to the side, it saw it as an obstacle and beeped all the time. I hated the Eyesight cruise control system and instead used the standard one all the time (it took getting out the manual to figure out how to not use the Eyesight version--too complicated). The nav/stereo was absolutely terrible. Save your money and your aggravation. The 15 has Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers but the head unit is simple and intuitive and the voice dialing system actually works! I was never able to get the nav/stereo in the other car to work with audio commands. Also, one more note, with the nav/stereo, there is no knob to change the stereo channel, you have to hit up/down arrows on the screen in a moving car. Fine if you know and can preset all the channels, but not if you travel somewhere else and need to search for a channel. With those two tech issues gone with this car, I'm loving it all over it again. I get great MPG that was only dream land in the MDX. It won't set speed records, but it does the job just fine. I don't feel underpowered really and it sticks to the road. In the wintertime, living on a hill, it did fantastically. I wish Subaru would keep the simplicity of controls and features but bump up the quality of the interior just a bit more. Overall though, its a great car, so great that I bought another one which ought to be a big endorsement by itself."

3rd Subaru Owned And The Best So Far

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Improved gas mileage, The Improved Features!!"

Cons: "None that I can think of."

"Had my 2015 Forester now for almost a month. Great gas mileage--averaging 27 MPG and most of that is city. Can't wait till I get it out on the open road and get even more!! Eye sight feature has already saved us from having an accident!! Car stopped in front of us and I was not looking. Thankfully the eye-sight was looking. Great vehicle!! I kept my 2001 Subaru Forester from 2000 till 2014 so I'm looking forward to keeping this till at least 2028!!"