2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,287 - $21,892.

10/7.5

8.1

Based on 110 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

My wife and I love this car

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "Still trying to think of one!"

"Have you seen the offset crash tests? 2014 Forester aced it. This is my wife's car; I feel good about her safety! This is a well engineered and built car. We bought the Ice Silver Metallic with platinum cloth interior; absolutely beautiful . Mileage as advertised, 27 city, 32 or more highway. Roomier than you can imagine for its class, quiet, great ride and responsiveness. Best of all is the visibility especially with the sky roof. Can't wait for the first road trip! Now I know what they mean by saying "Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.""

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."

I LOVE MY SUBIE!

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Great acceleration, appearance, comfort, utility."

Cons: "Rain drips onto backup camera lens."

"After driving mini-vans for many years, I wanted something a little smaller, more fuel efficient and capable. I went to 13 different dealerships, drove just about every small SUV out there (I missed Suzuki, just because I didn't think of it)and finally chose the 2014 Forester Limited. The CVT really makes this car behave as if it has a lot more horsepower than it does. Merging to highway speed is never a problem, even with very short merge lanes. There are nicer interiors out there, but it seems Subaru totally follows the "form follows function" philosophy. Everything is well laid out, and appears incredibly durable. I went on my first "outing" this past weekend, to a popular waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The car sat 5 adults comfortably for the 8 hour round trip. This particular waterfall has access from two different places. One is paved, the other is gravel, sand, and mud. We went to both. On the paved side, there was a mix of pretty much every size and type of car. On the rocky road that has water runouts all over it, where a more capable car is needed, it was amazing to find at least half of the cars were Subaru's. I kept saying: "there's another Subie, they're all over." X-mode is amazing, I've never had a car that can apply the brake for you. Driving suggestion: put the transmission in low before using X-mode. Sometimes it will start going too fast and actually turn off X-mode without the car in low. I'm getting 25.2MPG in town, and on the mountain trip, it was 33.2MPG."

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."

Great Fuel Economy, Amazing Value! Great Buy!

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "navigation/bluetooth isn't the best."

"I had been looking for a new suv to replace my 2005 Honda Element (which I loved, but the fuel costs were getting too high). I looked at several small SUVs, and liked some features on each, but just was never sold. I looked at the Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson before stumbling onto the Forester. I wanted something with good creature comforts, (like bluetooth, sat radio, power seats) but didn't cost a high end price. I found the 2014 Forester, and with it being a brand new model, my local dealer only had one, a 2.5 Premium edition with the all weather package. It was my luck that it had every feature I wanted, plus more, and was cheaper than other models I was looking at. I have taken several road trips of 400+ miles in it, and never had an issue with comfort or performance. The fuel economy runs me on average around 29 mpg, and have gotten up to 36 mpg on a long road trip with cruise set. My only complaint is the radio/navigation unit. It is not as user friendly as others, and can be time consuming working with it. Overall, though it is something I can work through and live with. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great economical SUV!"

Fantastic value, great ride, fab view of road

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great price, smooth ride, fun to drive,"

Cons: "Front seats"

"* Fantastic value for an SUV, compared to CRV/RAV4 * Some folks expressed apprehensions over the CVT, but it's a very smooth driving experience. * Great exteriors, more SUV-like than its predecessors * Like the high-ride. Good view of the road & surroundings. Also easy for folks to get in and out of, especially folks who may have back issues and hence have problems getting in and out of smaller cars/sedans. * Big windows, good view of the road. This is in comparison to the CRV and RAV4 which seem very narrow in terms of their view of the road and surroundings. * Like the lamps on the mirrors and doors which illuminate your path when you get out of the car * Pretty huge moon-roof * Decent instrument panel and dials are easy to read * Might not have spent enough time with all the features on the instrumentation panel, but it's not that easy to deal with. * Have the all-weather package and like the warmed front seats and the mirror warmers * The seats are something which other owners would also have mentioned as needing some improvement. They are comfortable to a large extent, but could be better. * The AC/heater is also something which needs improvement. To have a decent temperature inside the car, it often needs to be at level 2. Folks in the back seat don't get enough air unless it's at level 2. * The back seats are quite comfortable, and have a lot of leg room. * The boot is quite spacious and can accommodate 3-4 huge suitcases (29") and 4 cabin luggage (20") * Like the rear view camera. Also: * Like the fact that there are a lot of cup holders * Like the storage area between the passenger and driver seats - good space for change, cables and creams."

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Learning to love my Subaru

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "safety, smooth, grounded ride, AWD"

Cons: "interior design"

"I looked around at all the main cars in the class, quickly ruled out the pricey Buick and VW (why not just buy an Audi if you want to spend $40K on a VW). I looked hard at Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Hyundai and Subaru (also the Outback). The Chevy didn't seem to hold up to the others and Hyundai didn't seem any cheaper for the same specs I was looking at--who buys a 2 wheel drive crossover in Utah? I would have loved to like the Mazda, but it's smaller inside and the Nissan needs an overhaul. I don't need the Ford's extras and it seems to lag Toyota / Honda. I settled on either Honda (which seems to marginally edge Toyota in most reviews) or Subaru--after driving them both several times, the Honda just has no "go". Really struggled uphill. It was nicer inside--better interior design by far I think, but the AWD on Subaru can't be beaten in this class. Also, Ford, Toyota, Honda have really sacrificed vision for styling. Having a tiny back window / side windows means you're forced to take the standard backup camera in Honda--the rear window is useless if you have small kids who may be playing behind. The Subaru feels much airier--the windows are big. Really big and the backup camera isn't an expensive addition, nor is it needed--I can see my 2 year old if he's just a couple feet behind the car. The blindspot is smaller on my Forester than it is on my sedan. The Subaru isn't built to impress visually--although the exterior styling is really growing on me. It almost forbids soccer moms from driving one, which is the opposite of mom-wagon magnet CR-V / Rav 4. That said, this is my wife's vehicle and it works great. The center armrest in the back seat wouldn't decline in the CR-V with our car seat, but it does easily in the Subaru, which really does feel larger inside. I would have loved a little more effort to go into the interior design--the dashboard of Honda should be the standard for other manufacturers, but my Subaru feels solid, drives smoothly and feels grounded on the road, and will handle the snow better than any other car in this class given the 100% AWD. The mpg is also better than the competition on the new 2014--Mazda is probably similar, but the CX-5 is just a little small, and I still see a huge smile on the front of the updated model. Finally, no other vehicle in this class did as well as the Forester for safety. With this car hauling my wife and kids around, safety is important. I feel confident she'll be protected while driving this--at least compared with the competition. It's also really nice to drive, at least for someone who isn't planning to enter Nascar anytime soon."

15K on back roads - still going great!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "AWD - Visibility - Turning radius - Easy to wash"

Cons: "Backup camera not standard on base - yet."

"I use my base 2014 Forester 2.5i delivering mail on the kind of roads you see in commercials, about 1K miles each week. No complaints or compliments on the ride, handling or options. Everything works fine. The AWD system is the best drivetrain I have ever driven on slick, rutted, muddy roads. No other vehicle has ever come close (I spend a lot of time on these kinds of roads). Visibility is much better than most vehicles. Gas mileage matches ratings but skyrockets up to near 40mpg if you can keep your speed 50mph or lower. Turning radius is very tight making manuevering tight places simple and fun (this is a bigger plus than a one line mention). Radio is average but adding a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat makes it as good as any factory stereo. My use for the Forester is strictly utility. For family use, I would buy the Premium model which has many nice features for not much more money."

Amazing Car for the Money

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Visibility, MPG, cargo and rear leg room"

Cons: "Seats could be better, weird trim levels"

"I am reviewing the 2.5 Limited with CVT. I bought this car about three months ago after researching a lot of other cars and i have to say that for that amount of money (About $27,000) you will not find a better crossover. The visibility is the best in any SUV that I have ever seen. You can see everything while driving this car. Windows are huge and the mirrors are perfectly positioned to not obstruct your view. The gas mileage is also outstanding. I am currently averaging 28.5 MPG with a mixture of about 30% highway and 70% city, which I am very pleased about. The cargo space and back seat leg room and comfort are amazing. The CVT takes a few weeks to get used to because it's different than a traditional automatic but I think people, for some reason, make too much fuss about it in reviews and test drives. It's not a sports car. It has enough response and power for the type of car and I never find myself wishing for a more powerful engine. The interior is very functional and quick to access compared to the Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, it doesn't have the most top of the line entertainment system, but everything is extremely quick and convenient to use. Climate control, bluetooth, MPG and trip data and graphs, it's all there and accessible with a press of a button. I never have to look for something. I know exactly where it is. Very intuitive design. The only problem I see with the car is that the leather seats are a bit bland and not exactly well made. They are flat and very basic. The Crosstek's seats are much nicer than the Forester's. I wish they were a bit more contoured to your body. Another disappointment were the packages. The Premium, Limited and Touring trims just have just a weird combination of features that do not really make sense when you are shopping for the car. The GPS is also a joke and that's why I opted not to buy it. I wish it was a bit more in line with the overall quality of the car. Overall, I think that for a car priced under $30,000 you can't get a better vehicle. Yes, it's not as polished as an Audi or a BMW...but once again, if you want better seats or some top of the line tech, you will have to spend close to $40,000. But the overall package with this vehicle for the money is outstanding."

Great Value

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "A lot of features for the price."

Cons: "Small size of flat screen display."

"After comparing features and price, I bought the 2014 Forester/Premium with the all weather package. The Ford Explorer and Mazda CX-5 cost several $1000 more to get the same features. I have been getting far better mileage than is stated on the sticker (over 30 mpg city vs 24 shown on the sticker). The car is quiet, comfortable and has plenty of room in the back seat. The ride is a little stiff compared with a car, but if you want an SUV capable of off-road, that is to be expected.Takes the bumps very well. The 175 hp engine is very responsive and does not strain on acceleration. I can cruise at highway speeds at a bit less than 2000 rpm. The only knock on this car is the somewhat small size of the flat screen display. However, the various displays are easy to toggle through and program. Setting up my cell phone for blue tooth was also straightforward. It could all be done from the controls on the steering wheel. My previous car was a 2005 Forester and the 2014 is a huge leap in interior room, features, comfort and power."

Nimble handling, tight turn circle, pleasant ride

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Great handling and airy feel in the cabin."

Cons: "nav, limited storage up front, must get moonroof"

"We bought this car, wanting to downsize from a minivan, but retain some cargo carrying ability. I love how this car drives. It corners and handles like a dream. The sitting position is great -- you are up and can see the road. We got the "eyesight" feature wich dutifully beeps when you change lanes without signalling or approach some object and brake later than it likes. The adaptive cruise control works very well -- it's actually usable even with some traffic. I've been getting as high as 31 MPG highway and usually in the mid twenties combined. City driving is lower than the EPA numbers of course. Acceleration is adequate, though not wonderful -- we did not get the turbo model and preferred the mileage numbers. As for criticisms, I'd first mention that the navigation system is sub-par, not intuitive and Subaru has made it impossible for a passenger to use it while the car is moving -- something we dislike. It's not always possible to pull over and come to a stop and if your passenger is there its silly to limit it. Too much brig-brother there I'd say. The middle console/armrest is smallish, the storage inside is small and the coin holder blocks easy access inside. The glove box isnt large. The front storage area is open and smallish as well. The visibility in the car is great for the most part, but the rear window seems small and reduces rear view vision. Be nice if that window were bigger and also the left and right exterior mirrors could have slightly larger fields of view. I also don't like that we had to give up 6 cu/ft of cargo space for a "moonroof" we will never use. This should be an optional item even on high trim levels. Unless you get the base model, you must get the moonroof and will not get the advertised 74 cu/ft of cargo space as a result. However, this car all in all, seems great. The complaints seem minor compared to the overall quality, price and safety attributes."

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

Forester 2.0XT Touring Refined Quality

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, sound system, visibility"

Cons: "No analog temp gauge, no glove box light"

"I own the 2.0 XT Touring. I have about 1500 miles on it. I really enjoy this car. I had a Mazda CX5 for about two years. However, I needed a vehicle with more spirit and boy does the 2.0XTer have it. This puppy has such a responsive engine. It easily out performs our Honda Pilot. My wife at 5’1” had severe accessibility issues with the CX5. That issue was solved with the 2.0XTer. Also, the Forester has much better visibility then the Mazda. The handling is really good with the car always feeling well planted to the road. The 2.0XTer has a sports suspension which adds to its handling capabilities. I drove the Forester 2.5 Limited and the 2.0XTer had noticeably better handling characteristics. The Harman Kardon sound system is outstanding (way better than the Bose in the CX5). I do love the tunes. It has a great roomy back seat that the kids really enjoy. This car exhibits refinement and that becomes evident as I drive it more. Finally, I saw the poor crash results of the mini compacts (i.e. Honda Fit) I am glad I have the Forester with its outstanding safety ratings."

First Subaru

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, rides nicely"

Cons: "Driver & passenger seats could be slightly bigger"

"After I fell in love with my parents 2010 Forester I decided to trade my Honda Civic in and get a Subaru. I had seen the commercials for the 2014 and liked the improvements that Subaru had made (better MPG, changes in the exterior/interior etc.). I test drove the car, loved it & purchased an automatic 2.5i Premium. I've owned my Forester for about 6 months now. It is an extremely comfortable ride, it’s very smooth on the road. The gas mileage is the best part. I drive 30 miles back and forth to work every day on back roads (speed limit ranges from 30-45) and my odometer averages 29 mpg. The car is very sleek looking. The interior is very roomy. This car is extremely practical & was exactly what I needed in a car. I’d recommend this car to anyone looking for a smaller SUV with great gas mileage. It was money well spent!"

Great fun in an affordable package

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Improved quality, excellent fuel economy"

Cons: "Power liftgate is extremely slow"

"I puchased my 2015 Subaru Forester Touring last week and have driven some off-road and highway. I'm getting 34 mpg as the engine breaks in. Crawling around in the moutains I am getting 24 mpg. This is a great car for all around use. The cargo capacity is amazing for a small cuv. The fit, finish, and materials are quite a step up from my 2010 Forester. The leather seating is comfortable and the quality is outstanding. The car is reasonably quiet on the highway and handles quite well. I purchased the car with the eyesight system and I find that it works very well. This is my 4th Subaru and it is by far the best."

VALUE +++

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "size, price, reliable, style, and features"

Cons: "no side mirror defrost"

"I've had this car for a little over a year, i put just over 600 miles on this car per week. I commute for an hour both ways to work in some of the heaviest winter weather areas of our state. I love the way it handles in any weather- Its truly a great car with great mpg i average 25 mpg which is below the highway est given by Subaru but i drive mountainous terrain up and down very large mountains so considering my Jeep averaged 12-14 mpg I'm am THRILLED with this car! comfortable and roomy, much better then the escape and rav4. I RAVE about my Subaru to anyone that will listen!! the price of this car fully loaded is what really sold me plus the 0% financing Subaru was offering... great small SUV! I plan to keep this car well into the 150k mi + just to see how far it will go!"

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

"I purchased this car about 2 weeks ago, dark grey, with the tan interior. 2.5 Premium Trim. I test drove the XT (which was a blast, but I wont drive this often and the use of premium fuel, as well as lower mileage, at a higher price takes a toll on your wallet after a while) Exterior: With this fresh re-design this car is probably the sexiest boxy car you'll see. I think it looks great, as well as the use-able cargo space is unbeatable. This is probably the most functional car I've ever had, as well as the most spacious, with the low slung hood, and dash far away, I'm 6'3 and I cant even sit with the seats all the way back in the passenger seat(as there is too much room!) (its that spacious) Back seat has plenty of room and doors that open 90degrees for easy access. All that said it drives well, and you will not find a better SUV with such superb visibility and no blind spots. The moonroof is massive and makes me want to get outside more often! The interior design is spacious, open and put together well. While this 2.5i boxer engine mated with the new CVT transmission is not "fast" it is sufficient, fun to drive, as well as makes a nice sound (unlike the outlander). The CVT is very smooth,quiet, and does not feel like a CVT. We have experienced about 28mpg on the 1st 2 tanks of gas, mostly traffic-laden city/hwy driving to-fro work. On the open highway we've noticed around 32-34mpg. The Electronic fuel gagets and wheel slip monitors are entertaining and possibly useful, if you're driving offroad (I've only noticed it have any change in the AWD appearance when driving on extreme wet pavement) Interior. The cloth is nice, and stay cool, even in direct sunlight, but the leather would be more durable if you can spill the extra 2-3k on the limited model. The back seats recline, which is nice for a long trip. There is a little wind noise, but its minimal and is comparable in noise to the CX-5 front seat noise, (back seat noise of the CX-5 Is much louder)"

Big step up from previous Foresters

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Refined, nice to drive, well engineered"

Cons: "Hard seat bottoms, small nav icons"

"A thoroughly refined XT from past models: Ride's firm without being harsh and free from rear end pogo/rattles. More precise handling and less lean in turns. Interior offers many soft touch surfaces and fine fit/finish. HVAC and main controls easy to use, though navigation screen icons are small and easily missed. Useful vehicle status screen shows many aspects of car performance and has limited message programming. X-Mode reduces tire spin on slippery surfaces. Much lower noise levels on all but the coarsest roads. Seats well finished but limited bolstering and somewhat hard seat bottoms."

Best SUV on the road

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Visibility, EyeSight, convenience, comfort, AWD."

Cons: "Wished the backup camera was in the bigger screen."

"I was considering the Mazda CX-5 and the Forester and decided to go with the Forester. I have the i Touring with EyeSight and have about 300 miles on it so far and it has been an absolute joyful ride. The visibility is the best in the class. The EyeSight technology is absolutely impressive. In stop-and-go traffic, I never have to use my feet anymore to switch from gas to break which is very convenient. Probably spoil myself and make me a more lazy driver. But if you're stuck in traffic for 30+ mins, trust me, it's worth it to get this technology. Other features I liked are the power rear gate, huge moon roof, and proximity access to the doors. I never have to take out my key out of my pocket, just simply walk up to my door, touch the handle and automatically unlocks. Locking it also just as easy, just touch a certain part of the handle and locks everything. Overall, am very happy with this vehicle. Of course, handling and the AWD system is superb and I always feel safe on the raod. Will have to test out even more during the coming winter."

Awesome for someone who wants something special

By on Friday, September 20, 2013

Pros: "great technology great AWD large cargo space"

Cons: "NAV could be better,I wish the sunroof was smaller"

"I have had my 2014 forester limited since June 8 and I love it. it is a different breed of vehicle made for a demanding owner. it is not the sportiest drive but it gets great MPG and it has features that NO other vehicle in its class has. the X mode is awesome, high end AWD, advanced feedback on car operations. this is a thinking mans SUV, if you want something simplistic like the new RAV 4 then that is for you. this was the only SUV in its class that had the engineering that I wanted. also pretty large cargo space !! only real downside is the not that great NAV system but its still better than the one in many other 2014 vehicles like the Mazda6."

Great Forester

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Everything except (see below)"

Cons: "Prices to high on upper trim level models"

"I have owned several, +10 Subaru's, and this Forester is great. I really don't know what people are talking about the seats being uncomfortable ?? I have had back surgery fusing 4 vertebrae, in my back with rods, plus replacement of my right hip. It takes a really special seat, for me to be able to drive more than one hour at a time, but with this seat I can triple the time in the seat. So are they lounge chairs , NO, but for someone who knows back pain, they are better, than most found in cars today ,in the same price range. As for the rest of the Forester , total improvement over previous models."

FOLLOW UP- STILL GREAT!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Room, MPG and Visability"

Cons: "None of any consequence"

"I now have over 4,000 miles on it and the mpg is up to 31mpg combined. The room, visibility and price can't be beat. I also feel smart, as "Consumer Report" just rated this SUV best in its class by far"

A Lot Better Than 2011 Forester

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Sound System, CVT, Eyesight, Quiet Ride"

Cons: "Nav a little slow and small backup screen"

"My wife traded her 2011 for a 2014. I drive the car a lot and find the new one to be greatly improved. I did not like driving the 2011. My biggest gripes were the lack of legroom for the driver and the 4 speed transmission. Now I don't even have to put the driver's seat all the way back and find that the CVT has reduced the engine RPMs especially at highway speeds. We upgraded from a Premium to a Touring. The sound system is awesome. The NAV could be better but it is not bad. Overall the ride is much quieter and the cabin seems much roomier thanks to moving the A pillar forward. Hopefully, it will be as reliable as the 2011."

Nice all-around vehicle

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Economical, AWD, comfortable, spacious, fun drive"

Cons: "Lacking in towing capacity when needed"

"I own a 2.5i Touring Forester and i bought this mainly for its mpg rating and its AWD. It drives and handles well and I didn't have any problem with its seats. Maybe its dimensions fits my driving position well. Took a 4-hour drive in it with no problem. Visibility is awesome in this vehicle and for me it contributes to the safety aspect a lot. Cargo space is very respectable especially with the seats down. Also, the seats can be folded down with just one flick of a switch. That and the power rear gate adds to the convenience aspect. One thing that bothers me a bit is that I usually have a hard time latching the seats back up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the process. The infotainment system is good but not really impressive. Its a bit complicated to use but with the help of a little product manual reading, I think I can manage. Most of the settings are disabled while the vehicle is moving. I understand the safety issue but most of the time I have my wife beside me as my "Navigator". Still, its a very functional system and I still prefer an in-dash satnav over a little windshield mounted one. I had the upgraded sound system and it sounds really well. The Forester isn't exactly top of the line when it comes with styling but it certainly a fierce competitor when it comes to safety, reliability and fuel economy. It takes me to where i want to go on or off road, and most importantly through Iowa snow and ice. This car isn't the most powerful there is especially with the cvt transmission, but with a small sacrifice of power and acceleration, it has great gas mileage and its a major factor in my decision when buying a car. Towing capacity if I'm not mistaken is only 1500 lbs. Something to consider if you're into towing something heavy."