2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,016 - $21,609.

10/7.5

8.1

Based on 78 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Very Happy with My First Subaru: 2014 Forester XT

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, fun, fast, quiet, and capable."

Cons: "No manual offered in turbo models. No hood scoop!"

"Overall, the 2014 Forester XT is a great car. I've always liked Subaru's cars, and decided to take a closer look at owning one when a major automotive magazine recently named the Forester the SUV of the Year. My previous car was an awesome 4WD Xterra Off Road, but it wasn't good on gas, and had well over 100k miles. The XT doesn't have a lot of torque at the low end like I was used to, but the mid-range power is really impressive. Another reviewer said it perfectly: "it feels like you're getting sucked into a vacuum" when accelerating. Opening the engine up on a straightaway is the point when you realize what you paid for when you opted for the XT's 250 horsepower, 2.0 liter, turbocharged engine. The base engine is adequate, but takes a lot of the fun out of driving. I simply couldn't accept the base engine after driving the turbo version, but others may find it suitable enough. My last car was a torquey 6-speed manual, so I was worried about the CVT, but it's actually really nice. The paddle shifters and different driving modes also let you customize your driving experience, but I honestly don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would. The default "intelligent" driving mode helps you sip gas a little better, and if you step on it, it'll launch you ahead no matter which mode you're in. It is by far the best CVT I've ever driven after being let down by several rental cars' sluggish and loud attempts. Handling is awesome for a small SUV; it corners really well and traction starts to slip in a very predictable manner. The only mild off-road test so far was passed with no problem. The mpg ratings are fair. I've gotten 26+ mpg's on multiple tanks with mostly mixed driving back and forth to work and the grocery store, and as little as 18 when I stayed on the turbo a lot. If I don't do 90 mph, I can get 30+ on highway for sustained periods. The inside is very quiet. Like, it makes me feel a lil' sleepy sometimes when I'm driving. The interior is nice, but not extravagant. Seats are ok overall; the rear seats recline, and the driver's seat is power-adjustable, but they lack sufficient lateral support when you take a corner at high speed. There's a small screen in the dash for conveying various forms of info, and when in reverse, it displays the backup cam's signal. For me, it's the right balance of features and simplicity. I added the factory-supplied Kicker speaker upgrades all around, then installed a Kicker under-seat powered subwoofer and small amplifier for the other speakers, but kept the factory radio. Everything is hidden away so it has the same stock look, so there are no wires, boxes, etc., but it sounds amazing, even at 70 mph with the windows and sunroof down. I also added some accessories: Aero bars, trailer hitch (for bike rack), cargo nets in the side/rear, moof roof wind reflector, tinted front windows to match the rear, fog lights, pet partition (expensive but solid design), and all-weather mats. Although I sometimes wish I still had a stick-shift, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It has turned out to be the perfect car for me/us so far. My biggest complaint is that they got rid of the hood scoop, so it's safe to say there's not much to complain about."

Very good ride!, excellent handling,

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy to get in and out,"

Cons: "Cheap radio, No satelite radio option in mine"

"I have traded my 2012 Tdi jetta due to a glow plug issues, dealer was not able to find, even that his car was real good on gas, about 42 MPG city/Highway. I was not happy with reliability. I purchased a 2014 Outback for my wife and loved it, this was the main reason to look for a Forester. Test drove it and I was impressed how easy is to get in and out. I have a herniated disc and had surgery. So, it sits high, to my hip level. Also, you can see everything outside, very large cargo space and it is extremely easy to get things in and out. Gas wise, good for an SUV, good power, I have not test it yet in snow, but I am looking forward this winter when I go to Ontario. I do not have a lot of experience with SUVS but I really love the vehicle"

Great car except for complex (NAV) setup.

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Ease of entry/exit, roomy, fun to drive."

Cons: "Poor visibility on rear camera screen, complex Nav"

"I got the Limited because I wanted leather seats, eyesite, and the auto rear door. I wish I had got the Premium model with the eyesite (no Navigation) and bought the leather seats post market. You cannot see the tiny rear camera screen far up on the dash in the daytime because of the glare and size. I often use the rear camera screen on my Leaf which is much larger and closer. The seats could be softer, I added a cushion on trips. But other than that, it handles like a sport car. The 2.5L engine accelerates nicely and uses reg gas. This quiet car produces quality CD/Radio sound after you figure out how to set the stations. The main reason I bought this SUV instead of a sedan is the ease of entry/exit. I have trouble bending into low cars."

So good I traded a 2014 for a 2015 Touring

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great mileage, well appointed."

Cons: "Needs a bit better interior finishes"

"I had purchased a 2014 Forester Touring as a replacement to an 2012 Acura MDX. Acura lost me as a lifetime customer over a major mechanical problem at 2200 miles and their failure to find and fix the problem on the first try. Coming from an MDX, I was used to luxury and I was surprised at how easily I adjusted to the Forester. It even had a few features that the MDX did not. However, it had a couple that I found I hated which is the main reason I traded the 14 for a 15 without the problem features. The Eyesight system was really annoying. I suppose if you are a poor driver or are prone to being unobservant, it might be for you. But driving into my office with a roundabout with the post box off to the side, it saw it as an obstacle and beeped all the time. I hated the Eyesight cruise control system and instead used the standard one all the time (it took getting out the manual to figure out how to not use the Eyesight version--too complicated). The nav/stereo was absolutely terrible. Save your money and your aggravation. The 15 has Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers but the head unit is simple and intuitive and the voice dialing system actually works! I was never able to get the nav/stereo in the other car to work with audio commands. Also, one more note, with the nav/stereo, there is no knob to change the stereo channel, you have to hit up/down arrows on the screen in a moving car. Fine if you know and can preset all the channels, but not if you travel somewhere else and need to search for a channel. With those two tech issues gone with this car, I'm loving it all over it again. I get great MPG that was only dream land in the MDX. It won't set speed records, but it does the job just fine. I don't feel underpowered really and it sticks to the road. In the wintertime, living on a hill, it did fantastically. I wish Subaru would keep the simplicity of controls and features but bump up the quality of the interior just a bit more. Overall though, its a great car, so great that I bought another one which ought to be a big endorsement by itself."

3rd Subaru Owned And The Best So Far

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Improved gas mileage, The Improved Features!!"

Cons: "None that I can think of."

"Had my 2015 Forester now for almost a month. Great gas mileage--averaging 27 MPG and most of that is city. Can't wait till I get it out on the open road and get even more!! Eye sight feature has already saved us from having an accident!! Car stopped in front of us and I was not looking. Thankfully the eye-sight was looking. Great vehicle!! I kept my 2001 Subaru Forester from 2000 till 2014 so I'm looking forward to keeping this till at least 2028!!"

Overall Good Vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "AWD, drives great, rides good,"

Cons: "our gas mileage, AC struggles to in direct sun"

"Purchased our 2015 Forester Touring 16 May 14 - have driven it about 2500 miles so far. Everything we looked at in this size & price range had some pro's & cons, but the Subaru seemed to be the best all around fit for us. Estimated gas mileage, symmetrical AWD, price & fit/finish were the driving factors. Overall we are very pleased with the vehicle itself. I gave it a 6 out of 10 only because, unlike most everyone else I've spoken to with 2014 & older Subaru's, our 2015 Forester is not coming close to getting the estimated mileage given by Subaru. Unfortunately, this was one of the biggest factors in our decision to purchase ours. A 380 mile trip over Memorial Day weekend had it getting 15.8 mpg over all on the way up, w/ 3 pax (a bag each) & 2 dogs, while pulling a small utility trailer. (utility trailer & it's cargo would be under 400 lbs total). The return trip (380 miles), without the trailer & only 2 passengers inside, averaged 20.4 mpg. This was all interstate driving, 65-75 mph, no racing starts or heavy braking, etc.. (we drive about as conservatively as you can get) For Daily driving (about 40 miles round trip with 2/3 of that at 55 & 1/3 of it at 45 mph in stop & go traffic) it's gotten as high as 22 mpg on a tank, but that's it. It doesn't reach the 24 city estimate even on the hwy & the 27 combined / 32 Hwy doesn't appear to be even remotely possible. Best I can tell the car is running normally, no pulling, dragging, odd noises, indicator lights, etc... It seems to run fine (great actually), although to me it seems to occasionally run at a higher rpm than I would expect for any given speed - but this might be normal for the CVT transmission, which I've never had before. Again, most everyone I've spoken to brags on their MPG - maybe ours is the one fluke, but we are extremely disappointed with our gas mileage so far. If not for the current MPG, I'd probably rate it a 9/10 overall. Things we like: Visibility is great, hardly any blind spots. Seats seem to sit up higher than other vehicles of this size - my wife loves that. Extra large moon roof is very nice, I didn't think it would matter, but it does seem to give it an open feeling inside. Eyesight/cruise control/lane departure option is great once you get use to it (& it takes a little getting used too) - be aware that it does not work in heavy rain, though & will kick off. (technically when you could use it the most). Handles great, drives like a champ, very responsive & good turning radius - it did excellent for us in the mountains. Which also makes it an excellent car for around town. AWD - we really like it -seems to hold the road very well in heavy rain (& it can rain hard in SE GA) - haven't had it in winter weather yet, but expect it to do very well. Back seats recline slightly - our adult daughter said it rode great on the last road trip. Very Good cargo space, for a small SUV. (we have a very large dog - he can get in & out, no problem). Very decent riding vehicle for it's size. Smooth ride. Decent price as compared to some other AWD's - but then they do cut some corners on quality or features here & there that some others do not. Overall good value though & we really like the vehicle itself. Things to note: I read several complaints about the NAV system in previous models - ours did not work right during the test drive (kept showing us as driving 1/2 mile off from where we were actually at). The dealer sent it to the shop & "reset" it afterwards (not sure what that actually entailed) but it hasn't missed a beat since. It's not the most intuitive system I've seen, but I haven't had any real problems getting it to operate as needed. Big moon roof & great windows / visibility = more wind noise on the highway than other small SUV's. Not a huge deal, but definitely noticeable. Sits up well, but the front seats themselves are not the best design for long trips. Elec adjustable front passenger seat is not an option - should be for a touring model. On Med & high, AC blower & vents are very noisy for the amount of air the system is actually putting out. Things we don't particularly like: Obviously, our gas mileage, as mentioned. After the initially setting the speed, the Cruise control increase/decrease toggle switch only works in 5 mph increments. ie.. set it at 61 mph & bump it up once and it goes to 65, bump it up again & it goes to 70, etc.. From that point, if you want any speed, other than a 5 mph increment, it has to be turned off then initially set again. - this is a pain in the butt- 1 mph increments, like most all other vehicles, would be much better. AC struggles to cool the back seats & cargo area in daytime 90+ degree temps. (a down side of great visibility) - it really needs rear AC venting (they cut corners here). Black dash & interior trim contribute to interior heat in the summer, you can feel the heat radiating from them - we have light colored seats & really wish light colored dash & interior trim had been an option. Voice activated / hands free feature for phone/nav/radio is sketchy at best and hard to interact with. Almost useless, really. I have an F-250 with the same features that work great, but I have nothing but problems getting our Foresters to work & usually give up. Again, other than the poorer gas mileage we seem to be getting, we are pretty happy overall with our forester and really enjoy it."

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

Great fun in an affordable package

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Improved quality, excellent fuel economy"

Cons: "Power liftgate is extremely slow"

"I puchased my 2015 Subaru Forester Touring last week and have driven some off-road and highway. I'm getting 34 mpg as the engine breaks in. Crawling around in the moutains I am getting 24 mpg. This is a great car for all around use. The cargo capacity is amazing for a small cuv. The fit, finish, and materials are quite a step up from my 2010 Forester. The leather seating is comfortable and the quality is outstanding. The car is reasonably quiet on the highway and handles quite well. I purchased the car with the eyesight system and I find that it works very well. This is my 4th Subaru and it is by far the best."

Love my Forester,love CVT, and roomyness

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Roomy ,MPG"

Cons: "none so far"

"Just breaking it in and getting 30 MPG already up and down hills all day! Disappointed Satilite Radio is not standard . Lots of room for Cargo"

Great value for small families

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Incredible value"

Cons: "A few minor design gripes"

"This car has just been unbeatable. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Rock-solid reliability. Tows WAY more than the stated 2,400lbs, easy to drive, gobs of power, refined enough for most. The cons - interior materials & design, like all Subarus, could be better - kind of ugly, but ugly is my thing - seat heaters in very inconvenient location beneath center armrest - turbo lag! - manual mode is so slow it's pretty much a novelty - body panels dent VERY easily - what!? No projector headlamps? - wish the windshield sprayer nozzles were heated. They freeze - wish steering when was heated - seats are nice, but not the best for very long trips - no automatic headlamp setting (but they DO turn off with the car, so I just leave them on)"

See if you qualify for