2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,237 - $21,854.

10/7.5

8.2

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

My wife and I love this car

By on Friday, June 07, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "Still trying to think of one!"

"Have you seen the offset crash tests? 2014 Forester aced it. This is my wife's car; I feel good about her safety! This is a well engineered and built car. We bought the Ice Silver Metallic with platinum cloth interior; absolutely beautiful . Mileage as advertised, 27 city, 32 or more highway. Roomier than you can imagine for its class, quiet, great ride and responsiveness. Best of all is the visibility especially with the sky roof. Can't wait for the first road trip! Now I know what they mean by saying "Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.""

Best Subaru I have driven

By on Sunday, May 10, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy, visibility, safe road manners"

Cons: "Hard to find ext. colors, light gray interior"

"I have had this vehicle for a little over 2 months and am considering buying another one - one that I will get to drive. I have put a little over 1000 miles on it and now must turn it over to a younger driver. It passes all the requirements and gives me a feeling of comfort that the younger driver will be safe. The interior looks ok - light gray seats are a concern for soda spills - so I will 'scotchguard' and hope for the best.. Sound system is kind of ho hum - but I didn't get the radio upgrade (maybe next time - at least for me..). Visibility is great - sitting high enough but not truck like. I am astounded with the gas mileage. I was concerned when I picked up at the dealer (127 miles on odometer) with an average 24 mpg on the indicator. I traded in an Impreza that averaged 35 mpg so I get more vehicle & better positioning. Filling up at 450 miles I calculated mpg at 32 mpg. Feeling better I zeroed out the gages and took off. Second tank of gas lasted 490 miles and the mpg indicator said 36 mpg. I calculated 37.2 mpg. Very impressed with the efficiency. Not crazy about the CVT transmission. It is what it is. It is tons better than the earlier CVT in the 2 year old Impreza. You can adjust and the only real objection will be when you first get in for the first time - or get in a hurry and zoom from the light unexpectedly. I have cars that are 'zoom-zoom' fun, trucks that are 'built like a rock', and while I am happy with their execution of their intended purposes, the Forester is a star. Not the quietest vehicle on the road - chip/seal surfaces come thru loud and clear. A little transmission 'hum' that you will notice on long drives (use the volume knob on the sound system and you won't notice it). Quieter than the 'zoom-zoom' car... I feel safe, I get great mpg, great visibility. I hope it lasts 10 years. After the Impreza (not a car I would recommend), I am again a Subaru fan."

GOOD BUT SOME WEAK POINTS

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, room, reliability, affordable."

Cons: "Tires, radio, black dashboard, dark gauges, carpet"

"I live in way South Georgia and my Forester is white with light interior except for the huge black dashboard. Often when the sun hits the dash you can feel the heat rolling right up over the AC and into your face. Light colored dashboards please. The radio interface is poor and sometimes the bluetooth works and sometime it doesn't. When playing songs from my phone through the bluetooth it gives no info about the song like most newer car systems do. I lost one of the Jokeahama tires at 10K and an exact replacement would have been almost $300. For about double that I bought four brand new tires with a road hazard guarantee and they are much quieter. Subaru rated this Forestsr as needing an H speed tire (130 MPH) and they are hard to come by and expensive. No tire dealers would sell me T speed tires (118 MPH) which are less expensive with a lot bigger selection. The new tires are much quieter. The gauges on the dash are way down in a dark recess, I can't see much of anything down there with my sunglasses on. The basic black carpet is very nappy and everything sticks to it like Velcro. Very hard to clean as you need a powerful vacuum and a brush to get grass and stuff off of it."

15K on back roads - still going great!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "AWD - Visibility - Turning radius - Easy to wash"

Cons: "Backup camera not standard on base - yet."

"I use my base 2014 Forester 2.5i delivering mail on the kind of roads you see in commercials, about 1K miles each week. No complaints or compliments on the ride, handling or options. Everything works fine. The AWD system is the best drivetrain I have ever driven on slick, rutted, muddy roads. No other vehicle has ever come close (I spend a lot of time on these kinds of roads). Visibility is much better than most vehicles. Gas mileage matches ratings but skyrockets up to near 40mpg if you can keep your speed 50mph or lower. Turning radius is very tight making manuevering tight places simple and fun (this is a bigger plus than a one line mention). Radio is average but adding a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat makes it as good as any factory stereo. My use for the Forester is strictly utility. For family use, I would buy the Premium model which has many nice features for not much more money."

Learning to love my Subaru

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "safety, smooth, grounded ride, AWD"

Cons: "interior design"

"I looked around at all the main cars in the class, quickly ruled out the pricey Buick and VW (why not just buy an Audi if you want to spend $40K on a VW). I looked hard at Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Hyundai and Subaru (also the Outback). The Chevy didn't seem to hold up to the others and Hyundai didn't seem any cheaper for the same specs I was looking at--who buys a 2 wheel drive crossover in Utah? I would have loved to like the Mazda, but it's smaller inside and the Nissan needs an overhaul. I don't need the Ford's extras and it seems to lag Toyota / Honda. I settled on either Honda (which seems to marginally edge Toyota in most reviews) or Subaru--after driving them both several times, the Honda just has no "go". Really struggled uphill. It was nicer inside--better interior design by far I think, but the AWD on Subaru can't be beaten in this class. Also, Ford, Toyota, Honda have really sacrificed vision for styling. Having a tiny back window / side windows means you're forced to take the standard backup camera in Honda--the rear window is useless if you have small kids who may be playing behind. The Subaru feels much airier--the windows are big. Really big and the backup camera isn't an expensive addition, nor is it needed--I can see my 2 year old if he's just a couple feet behind the car. The blindspot is smaller on my Forester than it is on my sedan. The Subaru isn't built to impress visually--although the exterior styling is really growing on me. It almost forbids soccer moms from driving one, which is the opposite of mom-wagon magnet CR-V / Rav 4. That said, this is my wife's vehicle and it works great. The center armrest in the back seat wouldn't decline in the CR-V with our car seat, but it does easily in the Subaru, which really does feel larger inside. I would have loved a little more effort to go into the interior design--the dashboard of Honda should be the standard for other manufacturers, but my Subaru feels solid, drives smoothly and feels grounded on the road, and will handle the snow better than any other car in this class given the 100% AWD. The mpg is also better than the competition on the new 2014--Mazda is probably similar, but the CX-5 is just a little small, and I still see a huge smile on the front of the updated model. Finally, no other vehicle in this class did as well as the Forester for safety. With this car hauling my wife and kids around, safety is important. I feel confident she'll be protected while driving this--at least compared with the competition. It's also really nice to drive, at least for someone who isn't planning to enter Nascar anytime soon."

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."

I LOVE MY SUBIE!

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Great acceleration, appearance, comfort, utility."

Cons: "Rain drips onto backup camera lens."

"After driving mini-vans for many years, I wanted something a little smaller, more fuel efficient and capable. I went to 13 different dealerships, drove just about every small SUV out there (I missed Suzuki, just because I didn't think of it)and finally chose the 2014 Forester Limited. The CVT really makes this car behave as if it has a lot more horsepower than it does. Merging to highway speed is never a problem, even with very short merge lanes. There are nicer interiors out there, but it seems Subaru totally follows the "form follows function" philosophy. Everything is well laid out, and appears incredibly durable. I went on my first "outing" this past weekend, to a popular waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The car sat 5 adults comfortably for the 8 hour round trip. This particular waterfall has access from two different places. One is paved, the other is gravel, sand, and mud. We went to both. On the paved side, there was a mix of pretty much every size and type of car. On the rocky road that has water runouts all over it, where a more capable car is needed, it was amazing to find at least half of the cars were Subaru's. I kept saying: "there's another Subie, they're all over." X-mode is amazing, I've never had a car that can apply the brake for you. Driving suggestion: put the transmission in low before using X-mode. Sometimes it will start going too fast and actually turn off X-mode without the car in low. I'm getting 25.2MPG in town, and on the mountain trip, it was 33.2MPG."

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

"I purchased this car about 2 weeks ago, dark grey, with the tan interior. 2.5 Premium Trim. I test drove the XT (which was a blast, but I wont drive this often and the use of premium fuel, as well as lower mileage, at a higher price takes a toll on your wallet after a while) Exterior: With this fresh re-design this car is probably the sexiest boxy car you'll see. I think it looks great, as well as the use-able cargo space is unbeatable. This is probably the most functional car I've ever had, as well as the most spacious, with the low slung hood, and dash far away, I'm 6'3 and I cant even sit with the seats all the way back in the passenger seat(as there is too much room!) (its that spacious) Back seat has plenty of room and doors that open 90degrees for easy access. All that said it drives well, and you will not find a better SUV with such superb visibility and no blind spots. The moonroof is massive and makes me want to get outside more often! The interior design is spacious, open and put together well. While this 2.5i boxer engine mated with the new CVT transmission is not "fast" it is sufficient, fun to drive, as well as makes a nice sound (unlike the outlander). The CVT is very smooth,quiet, and does not feel like a CVT. We have experienced about 28mpg on the 1st 2 tanks of gas, mostly traffic-laden city/hwy driving to-fro work. On the open highway we've noticed around 32-34mpg. The Electronic fuel gagets and wheel slip monitors are entertaining and possibly useful, if you're driving offroad (I've only noticed it have any change in the AWD appearance when driving on extreme wet pavement) Interior. The cloth is nice, and stay cool, even in direct sunlight, but the leather would be more durable if you can spill the extra 2-3k on the limited model. The back seats recline, which is nice for a long trip. There is a little wind noise, but its minimal and is comparable in noise to the CX-5 front seat noise, (back seat noise of the CX-5 Is much louder)"

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."