• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,293 - $21,218.

10/6.7

8.0

Based on 69 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.6/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

So far so good

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great visibility, comfortable driver's position"

Cons: "Somewhat awkward nav system"

"I owned a 2003 Toyota Highlander that I purchased new that had a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had been wanting to replace it for a while if only to get something that gets better gas mileage and because I don't need something as large as the Highlander. I started looking at Hybrids and EVs, but at 6'5" tall I didn't feel comfortable in any of the ones that I tried. I also need to carry a tuba or 2 in my car, so I need something with a decent sized cargo space. Based on this I decided to check out all of the new smaller crossover SUVs. I tried out the Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Subaru Forester and outback. My wife bought a 2013 CR-V last year, so I had already driven that quite a bit and was seriously considering getting another. Then I drove the Forester. Of all of these the Forester far and away had the best driving position for my size. It also had to be something that my wife (5'3") would also be comfortable driving. With the power seat in the Forester she could adjust the driver's position to a perfect height for her. I didn't like the visibility in the Nissan and Mazda. It felt like the roof-line was too low for me, even with their seats all the way down. I liked the RAV, but not as much as the Subaru, while the Ford felt cramped to me. Now that I have had it for a week or so and have driven it over 400 miles I still think it was the best choice for me. I decided to get the 2.5i Touring model. I initially considered the premium, but I wanted some of the features that were only available in the touring trim level. From a practical perspective I don't think that the Touring is worth the difference in price for what you get vs. the Premium, although I think it is worth it vs. the Limited. For the extra money I got the Navigation system, which isn't as bad as some have indicated in the reviews. The touch screen buttons for the radio portion of the entertainment system are a little small, but it seems to work fine. It also adds leather seating, dual automatic climate control, power back lift gate, and the X-Drive mode, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, plus a few other bells and whistles. None of these are things that I couldn't live without, but they are nice to have. It isn't the plushest of fanciest car in features of finishes, but everything works well for what I need. We tried a 2013 Forester last year when my wife got her CR-V and it felt much cheaper and was significantly less comfortable and had worse visibility. The 2014 seems like a major improvement over last year's model. So far I have no complaints about noise or ride. Some have said that the right is very rough, but to me it just feels like a little more road feel rather than being rough. I also don't find it noisy at all compared to my Highlander. I have averaged 28.8 MPG so far on one and a half tanks of gas, driven about 60% highway, 40% local roads. I expect to get very close to the EPA estimates in my normal driving based on my experience so far. Another thing that sold this car for me was the visibility. The large windows all around give me what feels like a commanding view of the road. I find it significantly better than on my wife's CR-V, especially out the sides towards the back and out the rear window. Overall, I haven't seen any cars this year that I would prefer for my specific needs."

Beat My Expectations

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "smooth drive, best visibility,versatility, gas mpg"

Cons: "Haven't come up with anything major or minor yet.."

"This is my 5th Subaru, but very first Forester. I was leaning towards a 2013 Rav4. But when I saw that the 2014 Forester was coming out with 32 mpg for highway mid-March, I decided to wait. Very glad I did. Took it for a 20 minute test drive and it was love at first drive and bought it. Am a realtor and drive 35 miles RT a day to work. Needed a car for friends, family and clients and driving around Colorado-but did not want a big SUV. Since my car also acts as a mobile office needed room for signs, brochure boxes & tool box. For my Colorado lifestyle needed it for skiis, golf clubs and to fit my crossover bike in the back of the car. Everyone who has ridden in it remarks on how comfortable it is. It is very easy to get in and out of. The car has been averaging 31.8 mpg with hill and in-town driving. Love the rear view camera-am always backing out different driveways. The ultimate irony is my brother-in-law bought a 2012 Rav4 last fall, I let him drive my car last week. He said my Forester is more comfortable than his Toyota and he wish he had waited. Yes, I have only had 3 weeks with my car but am still very smitten and have zero regrets. Plan on having this car for a long time."

Great Visibility, Ride, Design & Functional

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Styling, Mpg, spacious, Moonroof, Visibility, CVT"

Cons: "no hood scoop on XT model, light steering"

"I purchased this car about 2 weeks ago, dark grey, with the tan interior. 2.5 Premium Trim. I test drove the XT (which was a blast, but I wont drive this often and the use of premium fuel, as well as lower mileage, at a higher price takes a toll on your wallet after a while) Exterior: With this fresh re-design this car is probably the sexiest boxy car you'll see. I think it looks great, as well as the use-able cargo space is unbeatable. This is probably the most functional car I've ever had, as well as the most spacious, with the low slung hood, and dash far away, I'm 6'3 and I cant even sit with the seats all the way back in the passenger seat(as there is too much room!) (its that spacious) Back seat has plenty of room and doors that open 90degrees for easy access. All that said it drives well, and you will not find a better SUV with such superb visibility and no blind spots. The moonroof is massive and makes me want to get outside more often! The interior design is spacious, open and put together well. While this 2.5i boxer engine mated with the new CVT transmission is not "fast" it is sufficient, fun to drive, as well as makes a nice sound (unlike the outlander). The CVT is very smooth,quiet, and does not feel like a CVT. We have experienced about 28mpg on the 1st 2 tanks of gas, mostly traffic-laden city/hwy driving to-fro work. On the open highway we've noticed around 32-34mpg. The Electronic fuel gagets and wheel slip monitors are entertaining and possibly useful, if you're driving offroad (I've only noticed it have any change in the AWD appearance when driving on extreme wet pavement) Interior. The cloth is nice, and stay cool, even in direct sunlight, but the leather would be more durable if you can spill the extra 2-3k on the limited model. The back seats recline, which is nice for a long trip. There is a little wind noise, but its minimal and is comparable in noise to the CX-5 front seat noise, (back seat noise of the CX-5 Is much louder)"

Subaru finally gets the Forester formula right

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Gas Mileage, Cabin Noise"

Cons: "Cabin Electronics, Cabin Interior"

"I owned the Forester 2013 for 3 months and was already looking to trade it in. What can I say - it was a vehicle full of promise - a very capable of AWD system and wonderful driving visibility - but let down by an antiquated gas guzzling 4 gear transmission, cheap plastic poorly fitted interior, tinny doors, and horribly dated electronics. But the 2014 redesign promised to address most of my complaints, and one test drive later, I had a near identical forester in my driveway. The CVT is such a wonderful improvement. Gas mileage now in the high 20's mph and acceleration, while not inspiring, is at least on par for its class. The ride is now smoother at highway speeds, and electric steering a pretty good implementation. Most importantly, cabin noise is now under control. Wind and road noise is finally tamed, and the engine rev is far less intrusive. Cabin ergonomics have improved a bit too - most notably the horrible location of the 2013 seat heater buttons have moved to a place that both passenger and driver can easily reach. So what remains to improved? The Bluetooth and hands-free system is still remarkably backward. And while the interior plastics have improved somewhat - let's just say it would never be confused for a Volkswagen. But just as important, what haven't they messed up? Driver visibility through those huge square windows is still awesome, and the AWD system is as reassuring as its ever been."

I LOVE MY SUBIE!

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Great acceleration, appearance, comfort, utility."

Cons: "Rain drips onto backup camera lens."

"After driving mini-vans for many years, I wanted something a little smaller, more fuel efficient and capable. I went to 13 different dealerships, drove just about every small SUV out there (I missed Suzuki, just because I didn't think of it)and finally chose the 2014 Forester Limited. The CVT really makes this car behave as if it has a lot more horsepower than it does. Merging to highway speed is never a problem, even with very short merge lanes. There are nicer interiors out there, but it seems Subaru totally follows the "form follows function" philosophy. Everything is well laid out, and appears incredibly durable. I went on my first "outing" this past weekend, to a popular waterfall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The car sat 5 adults comfortably for the 8 hour round trip. This particular waterfall has access from two different places. One is paved, the other is gravel, sand, and mud. We went to both. On the paved side, there was a mix of pretty much every size and type of car. On the rocky road that has water runouts all over it, where a more capable car is needed, it was amazing to find at least half of the cars were Subaru's. I kept saying: "there's another Subie, they're all over." X-mode is amazing, I've never had a car that can apply the brake for you. Driving suggestion: put the transmission in low before using X-mode. Sometimes it will start going too fast and actually turn off X-mode without the car in low. I'm getting 25.2MPG in town, and on the mountain trip, it was 33.2MPG."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25