2009 Subaru Forester

8.1

Based on 234 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Great car for ice and snow

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "Solid value"

Cons: "Parts too expensive"

"During my career of snow removal in the Sierra I have driven many vehicles in the snow, and the Forester is as good as any."

Great value

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "good value in base model, good handeling, sturdy"

"I have owned Forester 6.5 years. Bought it new. It is a 2nd car for us used in severe winter weather. Keep Michelin snow tires on year around as do not use much in good weather. Winter is where it shines. Love the handling. Paid $21000 new in 2008 still worth $12,000 . Could sell it in a day. No repairs yet. Brakes will be soon. No rust . I plan to use 4 more years at which time it will have 65000 to 70000 miles . It will still sell in a day in my driveway for a lot. Like $7900. People here in the back country hunt for these when used but clean. It makes a good match with our big loaded Honda Pilot. I believe the basic Forester is the very best value in a basic safe winter car. Load them up and like any car the value goes away ."

mosr unreliable vehicle i have ever owned

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "check engine lights light up the dash very well"

Cons: "can't see on dash led light."

"I was told not to buy this car even by the dealership. not sure why, as the vehicle had low miles, looked at the carfax and that was good. this is the 5 speed manual transmission. I purchased an extended warranty and my first unpleasant surprise was that the worry free driving was about to end. the throw out bearing($1,000) had premature failure, and was not covered by the extended warranty(read the fine print). Next the catalytic converters failed, another $1,100 and now replacement of the timing belt and water pump, another $1,000. this past weekend it snowed in MN and now I have more engine work related to the exhaust system, another $200+. none of this work covered by any warranty and the dealership told me to call the Subaru USA number. they offered $200 out of pity, but still have not received the voucher in over a month. my advice is to run, not walk away from this "rugged, reliable vehicle" and to read closely any aftermarket warranty sold by Subaru. read the posts from consumers with multiple problems with the 2009 and newer Foresters, you will be shocked how the quality of these vehicles has gone down hill. I purchased the Forester in 2011. i'm retired and these repair bills have been devastating."

Reliable car with awful local dealer

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Value solid reliable"

Cons: "dealer service dealer service dealer service"

"After 4 years with this Subaru, I am impressed with its solid feel and consistent reliability. Great for carrying large items like bikes - easily. Comfortable as well. Downside: mileage is about 21 MPG - expected better. Brakes do not inspire confidence. Transmission thumps into gear, but that's how it works. Had I known the dealer service before buying, I would never have bought the car. When I asked about the spongy brakes, they question my driving skills. There was 1 minor recall that took several appointments to resolve. Routine maintenance like an oil change is $$$, twice or three times as much as any other car. 30,000 mile service is like a down payment."

It's the little things

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

"No temp gage ---- sun visor not wide enough--noisy---xmission down shifts often--seats to short for good support---leather fair quality--overall no problems, but would not buy again"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals