2009 Subaru Forester

8.1

Based on 244 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

1st Subaru - not last

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"I have waited till a couple of winter storms to review the Forester. I have a 2010 Forester 2.5x Limited, that I purchased in May 2010. I love the sunroof. it is huge. With the top open and rear windows down, I only used the air conditioner on rainy days, and those 95 plus degree days. That has really helped with the gas mileage. The view of the road is incredible. I am able to see pretty much everything going on around me. The best way to confirm this is to drive my wife's car. There are many more blind spots in her car, and in pretty much everybody else's cars too. It's subtle, but contributes to the overall feeling of control that this car conveys. The interior is sufficient. I say that in the nicest way possible. It has everything I want, and not much more. Which is perfect. Easy controls, iPod interface, aux input, two power outlets, heated seats, four cup holders, and a nice sized center console. The other thing I really enjoy about the interior is that I don't mind getting it dirty. It cleans well and the all weather mats let you get in the car without feeling awful about getting it dirty. I hate buying something as useful and enabling of a good time as a car, and then being afraid to use it because I don't want to get it dirty. I am not a particularly fast or daring driver, so the engine and power of the car is great for me. I can pass a car doing 55 with ease, and going up and merging onto I-95 in Philadelphia is a breeze. Highway speeds are hit before I'm off the ramp. I'm not going to drag race it, but I would get a different car if that's what I wanted to do any way. Negotiating the city is very easy. It is like driving a sedan sized vehicle. Easy to park and zip in and out of spots. What I am really impressed with, before snow enters the review, is the handling. While the Forester isn't fast, it handles amazing. It corners and sticks to the ground very well. I enjoy driving this thing. I've never said that about a car before. (I ride motorcycles. I love riding motorcycles. I ride fast and aggressive, I buy cars because of their utility) My only true problem I have had with it is a leak from the air conditioner into the passenger side floor. I took it back to the dealer, and they fixed it immediately. It resulted from a clogged tube that drained the condensation. Once unclogged and armed with the knowledge to periodically clean out the cowling of debris I have not had another issue. Service at the dealer is impressive. They like their customers, and I feel welcomed every time. Lastly is the Forester in the snow. I waited till a nice storm to review it. We've had a couple here in NJ this winter and here it goes: It is a beast. Today there were 4 types of cars on the road early this morning: Trucks with plows, Audis, Subarus and cars that were hopelessly stuck. I cannot express how well my Forester handled in 12" of snow and ice. It seems to never be out of sorts. I was never out of control, and never spun my wheels. I drove cautiously and the car responded by doing everything I expected. It is reassuring to know that even in very bad driving conditions I am still able to drive somewhere. Overall, I love this car. It completely lives up to my expectations. My priorities when buying this car were (in order): Safe, AWD, able to carry lots of stuff, and reasonable fuel economy. It delivers on this and more. I love this thing."

great AWD SUV for the money

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "drive like a true SUV with the latest tech"

Cons: "feel like a true off road vehicle."

"First of all, I read a lot about people complaining that the front seats are too low, I hope these people realize that there is a lever on the side of the seat that you can jack the seat up higher, my wife is 5' tall, and with the seat jacked all the way up, she can see out all the way to the front just fine. This car's MPG is pretty close to what the manufacture claims, 21 city 27 hwy, and I think that's pretty good for an AWD SUV. The interior is very roomy, acceleration is decent, that means from red light to the speed limit, it will accelerate just like any other new car without catching the attention of the police; I obviously don't expect to drag race this car for any reason. For this car the 4 speed Trans is ok, I don’t notice any sluggish, but I think it would be better if it’s equipped with 6spd transmission like the one on the Legacy. Taking this SUV off road is the best fun of all; so far, I only test the summer condition, climbing and descending hills. The Bluetooth works great with T-Mobile phone, voice is clear, and microphone picks up every word I say. What I don't like is the rear seat; it feels like the car is swaying a little bit whenever my wife hits the brake. I like the engine configuration, everything is well placed, oil filter right on top, brake fluid, windshield fluid, steering fluid, coolant fluid, engine oil check, trans oil check, all are within reach for easy maintenance, this car is the true SUV of the past with today’s technology, and by the way, because of the boxer engine configuration, I drove the car for 1 hr. on the freeway, after stopping, I put my hand on the hood, and I felt almost heat."

Good experience having the Forester as a rental

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: ""Automatic" 4-wheel drive, low road noise"

Cons: "Base trim is missing some basic features."

"The Forester is admittedly not an attractive car and I never looked at it twice before renting it when visiting Hawaii/Maui. I was pleasantly surprised driving it. It drives much better than my wife's Escape and the engine is quieter and more powerful. The base trim is missing a few basics, e.g. tinted rear windows, cover for the trunk, automatic headlights, etc. But I was quite impressed with the symmetrical all-wheel drive and its handling off-road. (I took the Forester on some more adventurous paths and even the beach.) Nice fit and finish too on the inside. Overall a pretty nice little SUV, especially if you do some off-roading. Despite its looks, I might consider it the next time I'm in the market for small SUV."

Very Nice Car for the Money

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "Safe, reliable, low cost to own."

Cons: "Alittle louder than most similar cars"

"I bought this car new and within the first 9 months had nearly 40k. Nothing ever went wrong. I changed jobs and did not daily drive, so I gave to my son while at school. He used as his ski car and I have to admit, I had a very comfortable feeling that he was driving a safe, reliable car to travel to Vt for 3 years. I had driven in the snow and it is a beast. Never an issue with this car. I would pass the expensive SUV people in ditches and just slow down alittle and make it to the mountain. I only have one gripe, and that is the vehicle is somewhat loud with road noise. I am still on new car tires, so hoping that will solve, but do not really think so. If that is the worst part,I can deal. Good car and has many years left!"

I'm a Suby convert

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"This is my 2nd Forester (1st was an 05). I've had it for two months, and really only have two complaints. First, it's a little worse on gas than my last one. It gets 23 MPG consistently, while my 05 got 26-27. I'm ok with it because it is a slightly bigger car, but still. The other thing is that the interior is somewhat cheaply made and scratches VERY easily. All of the silver trim work around the shifter and on the dash is very susceptible to damage. My dog rode in the car one time and now there are nail dent marks in the console lid. When my GPS fell off the window once the area around the shifter became scuffed. I wouldn't care if it were plainer looking, as long as the material was more durable. It hasn't even been 6 months with the car! I shudder to think what the interior will look like in 5 years. Other than that, I love it. Great in the snow and an all around awesome value. I'm sure I will be getting another Forester after this one (wonder what the 2016 model will look like?)."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals