2006 Subaru Forester

Based on 369 Ratings for the 2004 - 2008 models.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

By on Friday, February 05, 2010

"Bought our 2007 new in early 2007, so there were some nice incentives. We have put on over 50k miles since and have not had any major mechanical problems. An HVAC cable broke, but the dealer blamed it on the stereo installation (umm sure, the installers are brutes, can break steel just by touching it). Any way, the handling is very secure and the poor weather performance is exemplary. The gas mileage is decent on the highway, we've consistently gotten 28 riding at 70 mph. Off the highway, it rides like someone removed most of the spring from the shocks, even on new, correctly inflated tires. It's more noise than actual impact, but it gives the car a cheap, clunky feel that belies its actual essential goodness. This car is ideal if you want to get where you're going safely, along with a bunch of your stuff. We have taken a number of trips with our 2 big dogs and a bunch of luggage (the roof container we bought helps a lot) and have been comfortable. I'm 5'10 and big boned (fat) and I've always felt comfortable in the car. The safety features, both active and passive, are excellent. The worthiness of this car is a lot like an iceberg; most of what is good about it is not readily apparent, especially safety and reliability. As for the much maligned appearance, well, it's beautiful to us like our German Shepherds. Some might find them scary and not too attractive, but we love them. Similarly for the Subaru. It's not too attractive, but when you have to drive to work at 6 AM in freshly unplowed snow with your loved ones, the car is a thing of beauty. Buy one if you want a car that does what a car is supposed to do and doesnt pretend to be an objet d'art."

Good Value - Low Monthly Total Cost!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"I've driven this car for 5 1/2 years - 75% time in town. I've had no issues with the car except the occasional nail in the tire. A couple times it needed two starts in damp weather -- it usually is parked on the street so I never gave it a second thought because it has happened when it was wet outside. One mistake I made was having a non Subaru mechanic do maitnance around 30,000 miles. I didn't realize I made this mistake till recently and I'm now 12,000 miles overdue. Stick with the dealers --- I've enjoyed the mechanics much more than the salespeople. I've had three 5 point child seats in the back -- very tight -- but they are in. I'm ready to move on to a slightly bigger car and will miss the Forester. It has been a great car and if I didn't need more space I would keep it. What is pushing me to a bigger car? The Forester's bench is too small for the seat arrangement I need. I have Britax seats and growing children, one of who needs to move into our second Regent seat or we'll need to use a booster which means I need to be able to access the buckle with a Regent and Decathalon (name?!). I'd also like a couple more inches in the rear seat for leg room and I want a third row option. I think Subaru's Tribeca is a joke -- very goofy inside! When I spoke to my Subaru mechanic about my need for a larger forester he said they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot -- I guess my need is typical and it is too bad they don't make it. I'm looking at the Highlander or Pilot because I need something soon. The milage and wheel size are not what I want but I see no choice. I see VW makes the car I want but it is in Europe --- child booster seats can come with the car(like Volvo), mp3 player option(!), 7 passenger with a second row bench --- and the price in the UK is similar to the Jetta!! If I could only wait --- that sounds great! The Forester has cost me after 5 years including the cost of money, maitenance (given I missed a $300 visit) is about $250/month with all costs!! (Insurance, gas etc..) Great Value!"

Love this car!

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and safe, especially in bad weather"

Cons: "Loud wind noise at highway speeds."

"I have had my Subaru for 8 years and have been very happy with it. We have had a few repairs over the years (A/C, head gasket, and some minor things). It has finally died (2 cylinders have no compression), but we used it pretty hard and were not very reliable about keeping up with maintenance. It has always gotten us safely through rain, sleet, snow, ice, and on our rough, dirt, unplowed driveway. It was struck by lightning once and only blew a few fuses. We're currently shopping for another Subaru."

Practical, Safe, Performs, Reliable

By on Thursday, March 20, 2008

"Owned almost 1 year now. The Forester is the do-everything car. Handles like a sports car (Basically mating a WRX with a CRV). Goes anywhere like any subaru AWD (which is far better than most other AWD's in it's class). Hauls kids, groceries, kayaks, ski's, bikes, you name it. Substantially more solidly built than typical cars in it's class. Proven design that's been around for several years now with just some body-style refreshes. More utility and not plush, but well-built (classic Subaru). The Foresters are as useful as a sport utility, but without the SUV gas mileage.. even in the turbo does well (which will absolutely fly when you need the power). I've thoroughly enjoyed it... Though I'm probably going to trade or sell out of my 07 automatic XT Limited into probably another Subaru as this car has sold me on the brand, the drivetrain, safety, suspension, etc.. Which is practically the same in all their cars. Probably another Forester in a manual trans., which shows how much I like the car.. And I'm a larger guy. I liked the shorter Forester over the Outback for tight spots, but the Outback is a bit roomier. They each have their qualities, though in 09 the Forester is going to grow into the size if the CRV's and RAV4's which will give it some more room, but at the cost probably of some gas mileage and handling and agility, I'm guessing. Less individuality but the larger 09 will fit in more like the rest of the slightly taller mini-SUV's. This current design like my 07 only needed a little more rear seat leg and headroom to be perfect, in my opinion. Car seats do fit by the way in my 07."

This Car Is Great!

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, hauls a lot of stuff!"

Cons: "Ok gas mileage."

"I got my car as a gift in December 2005! It has been from FL to AZ to CO and everywhere in between. I carried an 8 piece patio set inside the vehicle, with the back seats down! The gas mileage is about 25 mpg city. The back seat is comfortable and leg room sufficient. The engine light did keep coming on last year and it turns out that after an $800 misdiagnosis from an AZ dealer, it was a defective gas cap!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals