1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

I love my Subaru

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"This is my 6th Subaru. I've owned it for 9 years. My last one i owned for 8 years. They just keep on running. Because I care a great deal about the vehicles I own, I take care them mechanically and keep them clean inside and out. I believe this extends their life and their reliability. Subarus are sturdy & built to last. I feel safe in mine but I drive safely. I love the snow and I am not hindered from driving in it. They are good on gas but I just wish they were even more gas efficient."

Great in Snow, Expensive to Repair

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"First the good stuff: this 2001 Forester has been with me for seven Minnesota and Colorado winters and it is a champ in the snow, on hills in the snow, and getting out of on-street parking. The ABS has saved me from crashing into oncoming highway traffic. The cargo capacity of this car is terrific, too, for a smaller SUV. Onto what has gone wrong. Had I gotten rid of this car at 75k miles, 10k miles ago, I would have been thrilled with its performance to that point. The last month, after I hit 85k the car began to tank. First the rotors and an O2 sensor. Fine, those are sort of normal for an aging car. Then a fluid leak. THEN, I got an undiagnosable engine misfire which caused the failure of the catalytic converter. I haven't fixed these last two problems yet, but that's at least a $1500 bill, over $3000 on that car this month alone."

I love my Subaru.

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "Safe and secure on winding, wet roads."

Cons: "Forester is not sexy looking."

"My second Subaru, the Forester has been easy to drive, room for hauling, and so stable on the road. Living in the mountains of New Mexico I was sold on the handling on the winding, often wet, icy or snowy conditions driving a business car. So when shopping I bought my first an Impreza, next a Forester and will be shopping for my third the Legacy, next year."

Every family should have at least one.

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Superbly practical and intelligently designed inside- virtually everything makes sense and is intuitive. I read a customer review before buying it and experienced exactly what it said. The seats are great supports- I drove many highway miles for about 4 years but never had back problems. The reviewer also mentioned that it was a bit loud inside- which is true- in the end I could not listen to audiobooks on the highway because I had to blast it too high and I did not want to lose my hearing. One other gripe I have had is why this car could not be 30 mi/gallon being so well designed and compact. The AWD is perfect for cities during the winter season- I took so many parking spots that other cars dared not venture into, and driving on dirt roads was rare pleasure. Not great pick up but very stable at high speeds once achieved."

Lifesaver

By on Sunday, February 06, 2011

"This car saved our lives not only once but twice. I wont go into details but I will say that had it been a vehicle that didnt have the control (which is something that you dont get as much of in the large SUVs) this one does, we wouldnt be presenting this review. We NEVER had any issue with the vehicle until it hit 129k miles! And only then was it something that was caused by WALMART crushing the transmission filter (and NOT telling us) because that filter says "oil filter". Well yes its transmission oil.... We had to replace head gaskets within 300miles of that incedent and dunno yet if the tranny is going to give us grief. But its WORTH the 2k bucks to fix it. We invested nearly 30k for this car (27k) as we bought every option. So putting under 2k in fixes doesnt seem that bad (considering its likely not even a car fault, but mechanics failure at walmart... some teen who didnt know the difference!). I cant say anything negative about it other than I wish subaru would put a little more effort into the interior. The cupholders, headliner, and carpet are less than flimsy. For as long as these cars last, they need to make the interior a little more sturdy! Smart choice to KEEP the car. We wont sell or trade it. We have a 3yr old son who will eventually inherit it. You just cant part with a subaru... if you do you will likely regret it. By the way- This was a great SoCal car, but also has been a fab midwest 2ft snow car! Added some snow tires and BOOM! does better than our F250 truck haha :-)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals