1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 301 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

By on Monday, March 30, 2009

"This is the 3rd Subaru I have owned. Can't seem to figure out the front seat legroom issue some have written about. I'M 6'4" 220 and have plenty of room. 3 dogs fit great in the back seat. with 171,000 miles on it (bought it in 05 w/ 98K) I have done very little to maintain this car but oil changes and yearly tune ups. Still get 28 MPG+ on the highway. Live in snow country and handles great. Would buy another one without hesitation, but it may be awhile as my last Suby went for 330K miles."

notorious for transmission problems

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"We bought our '99 Forester used with 119K miles on it. Two weeks later, the transmission went out in it completely, with only a little hesitation warning. The mechanic said these Foresters are notorious for having one gasket in the transmission that starts to shrink around 80K miles until the transmission seizes up. Apparently, the car also has electrical or accelerator problems. When the engine gets nice and warm, the car acts like you are pushing on the accelerator and letting off suddenly. Almost seems like it's not sure what gear it wants to be in, but it's not a transmission problem. I love the other aspects of this vehicle. It drives wonderfully and is roomy enough. It looks good inside and out, but with this transmission and engine trouble, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to rebuild the tranny every 80K miles."

Good car, Make sure you have a mechanic!

By on Sunday, March 30, 2008

"First of all, let me say that this car doesn't owe me a dime. I bought it used in 2001 with 40K miles on it, I have put another 120K on it. It has had the typical rear bearing problems and some of the interior bits have broken/gone missing. I was hoping to get 300k out of this car, but at 160k, the head gaskets have blown out. This is a $2000 repair and as I have come to understand, this is a fairly common problem with 98 Foresters. It has been a fairly robust little wagon, but not unbreakable. I've gotten just under 30mpg on the highway. By the way, the seats feel like they are made of rock..."

The Best All Around Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I get close to 30mpg on the highway and with the all wheel drive I still go more places than my friends do with their big 4x4s. It handles really good in the snow. In fact I drove it out on the lake to go ice fishing. I got close to getting stuck a couple times, but when you are motoring through up to 2 feet of snow I was very impressed!!! I've owned two fullsized trucks and a jeep before this forester and I still go through the woods and snow like I used to. This car is the BEST overal buy on the market period."

Couldn't Ask for More

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"We bought this car because it was advertised as reliable and a great performer as a small SUV. We tested it against the CR-V and Rav4 and found this drove much more like a car than it's competition, which was a huge plus. We haven't had a single problem with anything on this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals