1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 300 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "fits two crates in it for dogs"

Cons: "bad design with head gasket"

"This is my second Forrester, I loved the 98 and would have kept it except for the car accident which totaled the car. The owner of the repair shop told me that if I had been in another car I may have been very badly injured or worse. I think the 98 had a better design"

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Here's what I like! Great Visablity Comfortable Flexablity - good enough gas milage for an around town car - but also enough car to handle towing, big loads on car top and lots of room inside the back for hauling everything from full size file cabinet for office to a load of rocks from the country for my garden. I have occationally used it on some pretty rough low maintenance forest service roads with a high degree of confidence in my ability to get home again! I have had some maint. issues that have made me less then perfectly happy - including wheel bearings, engine seals and clutch replacement."

Long lasting engine

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Styling: bought it new in 2000. Back then, it was an odd-looking mommymobile. Nobody thought of calling it Car Of The Year. Performance: it will carry a twin bed if you lie back the front seats and scrunch your body way forward (really uncomfortable, but I did this for a long move). Performance: it can't climb hills at freeway speed. I try to avoid getting over about 3200 rpm, so that means losing speed to about 50 mph going up the grapevine or the hill after Primm coming back from Las Vegas. Performance: the automatic transmission sometimes won't shift down on an uphill when you want to slow down a little and get into an easier gear. This is a nuisance on hilly roads. Performance: blew a rear tire once on road debris on the freeway, and the car handled arrow straight. Performance: high cross winds really push the car around---a lot more than they do a sedan. Performance: all-wheel drive always holds the road. You can really hear and feel the difference between hydroplaning on 1, 2, or 3 tires, but it never completely loses traction. Value: the car now has over 250k miles on the original engine and transmission. Reliability: struts wear out, but it never needs wheel alignment. Reliability: ordinary Costco Michelin tires that are supposed to last 70k miles actually lasted 100k miles. Keep them at proper inflation, rotate them, and the car is easy on tires. Quality: the plastic front windshield side pieces easily blow loose. You have to pull off the road, hit them with the palm of your hand to push them back into position, and then slide the top of it under the roof piece. Quality: the windshield doesn't crack up even years after being chipped in several places. Maintenance: don't try synthetic oil. It cleans out the gunk in the seals and starts small oil leaks. Maintenance: replacement radiators are junk and don't last."

I love my Subaru

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"This is my 6th Subaru. I've owned it for 9 years. My last one i owned for 8 years. They just keep on running. Because I care a great deal about the vehicles I own, I take care them mechanically and keep them clean inside and out. I believe this extends their life and their reliability. Subarus are sturdy & built to last. I feel safe in mine but I drive safely. I love the snow and I am not hindered from driving in it. They are good on gas but I just wish they were even more gas efficient."

Great in Snow, Expensive to Repair

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"First the good stuff: this 2001 Forester has been with me for seven Minnesota and Colorado winters and it is a champ in the snow, on hills in the snow, and getting out of on-street parking. The ABS has saved me from crashing into oncoming highway traffic. The cargo capacity of this car is terrific, too, for a smaller SUV. Onto what has gone wrong. Had I gotten rid of this car at 75k miles, 10k miles ago, I would have been thrilled with its performance to that point. The last month, after I hit 85k the car began to tank. First the rotors and an O2 sensor. Fine, those are sort of normal for an aging car. Then a fluid leak. THEN, I got an undiagnosable engine misfire which caused the failure of the catalytic converter. I haven't fixed these last two problems yet, but that's at least a $1500 bill, over $3000 on that car this month alone."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals