1998 Subaru Forester

Based on 304 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

I love my Subaru

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"This is my 6th Subaru. I've owned it for 9 years. My last one i owned for 8 years. They just keep on running. Because I care a great deal about the vehicles I own, I take care them mechanically and keep them clean inside and out. I believe this extends their life and their reliability. Subarus are sturdy & built to last. I feel safe in mine but I drive safely. I love the snow and I am not hindered from driving in it. They are good on gas but I just wish they were even more gas efficient."

The Best All Around Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I get close to 30mpg on the highway and with the all wheel drive I still go more places than my friends do with their big 4x4s. It handles really good in the snow. In fact I drove it out on the lake to go ice fishing. I got close to getting stuck a couple times, but when you are motoring through up to 2 feet of snow I was very impressed!!! I've owned two fullsized trucks and a jeep before this forester and I still go through the woods and snow like I used to. This car is the BEST overal buy on the market period."

Very disappointing quality

By on Monday, May 05, 2008

"Bought new. After 15,000 miles, clutch problem. At 50,000, engine sensors ($650). At 62,000 miles head gasket is going ($2,000). Very noisy ride. mechanic said he is seeing lots of Subarus with head gaskets going because of their aluminum manufacture."

Good car, Make sure you have a mechanic!

By on Sunday, March 30, 2008

"First of all, let me say that this car doesn't owe me a dime. I bought it used in 2001 with 40K miles on it, I have put another 120K on it. It has had the typical rear bearing problems and some of the interior bits have broken/gone missing. I was hoping to get 300k out of this car, but at 160k, the head gaskets have blown out. This is a $2000 repair and as I have come to understand, this is a fairly common problem with 98 Foresters. It has been a fairly robust little wagon, but not unbreakable. I've gotten just under 30mpg on the highway. By the way, the seats feel like they are made of rock..."

Great Car - Wonderful

By on Saturday, December 26, 2009

"I purchased a 2001 Forester in 2005 with 38,000 miles from a Subaru dealer. I also purchased an extended warranty that covered the car until 100,000 miles. It was a waste of money. The Forester was perfect until 146,000 miles when the head gasket had to be replaced. This was an expensive repair but well worth it if we get to keep it a few years more. We are on our second set of tires and brakes. Had the struts replaced at 100,000 even though they still seemed fine. Installed a new timing belt at 95,000, a required maintenance item since the Forester has an interference engine. We tow a 2500 LB camper with little trouble, although it struggles up hills. All in all I must say this has been the best vehicle I have owned. It handles superbly in rain and snow. It even survived a car full of teenagers crashing into its rear quarter panel without a scratch!! We feel comfortable and safe in it and intend to make our next vehicle a Forester again."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals