2014 Subaru BRZ Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,530 - $24,387.

10/7.9

9.6

Based on 14 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

10.0/10
    9.9/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Great handling machine, a bit too much road noise

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great handling. Superb MPG"

Cons: "Road Noise is annoying"

Taking a rest at the park

"Excellent car for a weekend get away, driving around town, or the old fashion Sunday drive. The MPG is exceptional and this car is really fun to drive. Long trips are taxing on body and road noise is annoying."

Taking a rest at the park

Better handling than my friends Ferrari and Porche

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Incredible handling and fun to drive. Good mileage"

Cons: "Audio/navigation controls. Storage compartments."

"This is an incredible sports car for the money! Although the horsepower is not comparable, the handling and visibility is superior to much more expensive vehicles. The limited trim is well worth the approximate $2000.00 for all the extras. The only improvements suggested would be larger and more convenient controls on the audio and navigation system, along with more cabin storage. The front seat comfort is very good and the rear seats are usable in a pinch. They also help the insurance cost. This car will be a classic and outpaces a similarly priced Miata in features and performance. Highly recommended!!!"

Fantastic car for the money - fun, great MPG

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "limited number of cup holders"

"I picked up my Limited model with 6-speed on July 3rd -- now have 1500 miles on it and have averaged 32.8 mpg while enjoying the peformance (mix of city and highway driving). The car is fantastic -- loaded with features, drives great, handles well, and is an all-around a FUN car. The back seat is really there just for insurance purposes and that seems to work."

Best sports car under $30K

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Subaru reliability & resale value, fantastic drive"

Cons: "Touchscreen radio controls, black interior only"

"I've always been a fan of the Mazda MX-5/Miata, meaning I appreciate refined handling more than raw horsepower in a sports car. The BRZ is like an MX-5 except with a fixed roof. Therefore it's a niche car among niche cars: a sports car, and one that doesn't rely on neck-snapping power for thrills. In other words the BRZ won't appeal to everyone, or even to all sports car buyers. That said, if you enjoy the spirit of the MX-5 but don't want a convertible, read on. Or better yet, call your Subaru dealer now, then read on. Since I could write a book on how much I like my BRZ, I'll confine my review by following KBB's points above and then add a couple more comments. 1 - Value: My 2013 BRZ is a "Limited" trim and its total msrp was $27,495. There are no further options to drive up the price. This is what I paid for it as well, no dealer mark-up. All I can say here is yes, it's a good value. You may not get better handling/braking/steering/shifting car for twice the price. You certainly won't get it for the same price. 2 - Reliability: I only have 800 miles on the car so I can hardly comment on reliability from my own experience, other than noting it's clearly very well-built. So I rated it a 10 based more on Subaru's big success in reliability and resale value with its other models. So far no sign this car will be different. 3 - Quality: Not a 10, but only because some of the interior plastic isn't as nice as it could be. Specifically the inside lower door plastic, forming the the door cupholders, is way too thin. Some of the control knobs aren't the most impressive either. 4 - Overall: Not a 10 here either, but close... 5 - Driving Dynamics: Superb. I won't go on because you can read all about it in the auto reviews. You just have to experience it, the more treacherous the road the better. A 90-year old grandmother would have no trouble zooming around hairpin turns because the car inspires so much confidence. Which wouldn't be a good thing if it didn't deliver, but this car does! On the other hand, the BRZ definitely could use a bit more torque - low-end grunt - but in the horsepower department, 200 is more than enough for a vehicle this light (2776 lbs). 6 - Design: The interior only comes in all-black which I don't like, but that's a subjective thing of course. I'm not a big fan either of the look of Alcantara, but it does hold you in place. The interior looks fresh, a bit spare (which I like), and not at all gimmicky like some other cars in this class. The steering wheel is clean and simple and feels just fantastic. One will end up in MOMA at some point. The aluminum pedals look and feel great too. Three fake-chrome trim pieces (the interior door handles, the pushbutton surround and the handbrake release button) look just bizarre in contrast to the rest of the nice matte silver interior trim. Subaru's attempt to standardize these pieces across their model range backfires in the BRZ. The exterior was designed by Toyota, their only part in the project. It disappointed me when the BRZ/FR-S was only available in pictures, but in person looks a lot better, from some angles even really good. Certainly everyone else has complimented me on it. There's no denying that the car looks tight and compact, it's just not particularly original. 7 - Comfort & Convenience: The front seats are probably the most comfortable you'll ever sit in in a car, although wider bodies have reported feeling a little tight in them. The back seats are useless except for storage purposes, and the car would have been better off designed as a 2-seater from the start. This would have narrowed the doors a bit, although they're much more user-friendly in tight parking spots than doors on most 2+2 coupes, which have to be wide enough to allow access to the back seats. Ingress/egress requires some flexibility (!), but the BRZ is a low-slung sports car, after all. Visibility - always a big deal for me - is the best you'll find in a sports car. Forward visibility is panoramic, you see exactly where the front wheels are. Rearward is good too but the trunkline is high. Unfortunately the center stoplamp is just obnoxious, I don't think I'll ever stop glancing in the mirror thinking another car is on my tail... Rear 3/4 visibility is, well, better than in a top-up convertible, but the back windows are really just small triangles of light. If your seats are not positioned too far back, and your neck isn't arthritic, you may just see out of them. The Limited comes with all sorts of convenience features (which the Premium trim lacks, as does the Scion FRS), you can read about them on the Subaru website. The keyless entry (doors and trunk) and pushbutton start are great conveniences. The radio/navigation screen isn't, I'll never prefer pressing a screen over the fine control you have turning a knob. Noise - You'll be pleasantly surprised, the BRZ is actually pretty quiet! That is, until you get near 4000 rpm during hard acceleration. That's when the interior resonator pipe - intentionally designed to bring in 2 cylinders-worth of noise to the cabin - kicks in. I don't like it and may have my dealer muffle mine, but otherwise the BRZ is less noisy than other small cars I've driven, certainly less than other sports cars."

A blast to drive -- Attracts gawkers

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

Pros: "Awesome handling, great design aesthetics, value!"

Cons: "Touch screen navigation is icky"

Not the best photo, but there it is. Love the WR Blue Pearl paint.

"We've been Subie fans for well over a decade. When I saw the BRZ announcement and the early reviews, I knew I found the replacement for my Subaru Legacy GT. We've put about 575 miles on the car in a couple of weeks. Still babying the engine during the 1,000 mi break-in, so I have not explored the higher rev regime. That being said, this car will make anyone drive like a pro. It is sure-footed and instills confidence in driving. For fun I've tossed the car through a few corners and it is amazing how well the car goes hard through corners. Accelerate going around the cloverleaf to enter the highway, you bet, love the G's! The seats are like big hugs and hold you firmly in place. The car just seems to love going in something other than a straight line. The instrument panel at night is wonderful on the eyes. As a pilot, I've always loved red instrument panels because it is better for your night vision. Another cool feature on the Limited model is a projection adjustment on the HID head-lights. You can point them more down toward the road, or with a turn of a button raise them up to look farther down the road. This is a driver's car. If you love cars, love engineering, and love driving, you'll dig this car immensely. It isn't a screamer. For people that need lots of HP to over-compensate for something this is not the car for you. Handling, yes, power, so-so. At 200 HP the power to weight ratio is just dandy unless you are going to the track to race. There is a long waiting list for these cars. They are on allocation to the dealers. Ours took 9 months to come in to our dealer. I've heard rumors that Subaru is releasing 6,000 per year in the US market. That is NOT a lot. As soon as it shows up in "Fast and Furious" next year, the demand is only going up. I'm betting these cars hold their value very well over time. This car attracts a LOT of attention. Every time my wife and I come out of the market or she from her office, people are walking around the car looking in and at it. It is beautiful to look at. I've chatted with a lot of strangers who want to know all about the car. Subaru nailed it. *Seriously* nailed it. I loved my Legacy GT, but this BRZ is a worthy replacement and simply a joy to drive."

Not the best photo, but there it is. Love the WR Blue Pearl paint.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next