2005 Subaru Baja

Based on 198 Ratings for the 2003 - 2006 models.

fun versatile & peppy

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

"We have had our 2006 Baja (Turbo) for almost 2 yrs now and absolutely LOVE it! It is extremely versatile with the 4 passenger seating and pick up bed for hauling stuff. Kids love the back seat with the center storage and cup holders. So far, only maintenance has been oil changes. Gas mileage is average at best, but the Turbo is worth it - I never worry about getting up to speed when pulling into traffic - this lil' truck really scoots! The handling is fantastic, hugs the curves and feels very sporty. Subaru really needs to bring this model back and actually advertise it, for I can't believe how many strangers stop me and ask about it saying they are going to go look for one. I get comments weekly on what a cute or neat little car/truck I have, and then ask, "what is it?" They are crushed when I tell them they will have to look in the used car section because 2006 was the last year of production. I hope this vehicle lasts a very long time since we can't replace it with the same! Would DEFINITELY purchase again if it were available - if it proves to be as reliable as other reviews have indicated, we will be looking at Subaru for future car needs! Only reason for the 4 star on comfort: My husband is 6'6", and although he can drive it no problem (power seat all the way back and all the way down, with the back slightly reclined), we opt not to take this vehicle on long trips, for it becomes too cramped for him... and the passenger seat starts to feel a bit 'truck like' on long trips and can only be (manually) adjusted front/back and not up/down. Also, when he is driving, only smaller children are comfortable in the seat behind the driver. Overall, this is a fantastic vehicle that I would recommend to anyone!"

Perfect Balance

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Balance between car and truck"

Cons: "Old technology, Stopped Making Them"

"In the decade I've owned my Baja I could fill a book with the ways it has impacted my life. From getting me out of dangerous driving conditions due to its excellent weight to power and all wheel drive to the utility of being able to haul bark dust, young trees, lumber etc. in the bed. It has been a perfect fit for me because I normally need a 'car' for day to day stuff, but often have need of a small light duty truck for yard work and projects. I have also had AWESOME support from Subaru for every issue that has come up and my only complaint is they stopped making the Baja and I need a new one! Mine is still doing great but technology has changed and I'm ready to replace it, there just isn't anything to compare it to on the market. Bad thing about getting the perfect thing you need is that replacing it with anything less perfect is really tough!"

Transmission issue

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

"At 150k I had to change the timing belt and head gasket for $1500. My trans died after 177k. Its going to cost $1,946 to fix and I plan to keep driving this car until the wheels fall off."

Fun utility truck/car

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "It's subaru reliability and durability, fun, tough"

Cons: "Not the best back seat"

"My dad bought this car brand new with only 3 miles on it and now at 147,000 miles it is still running strong. The baja is tough it has survived 2 car accidents and multiple times of over loading the towing capacity. We bought the turbo model which is the better one to go for just for the extra power but it does run on premium and we only get about 18/19 mpg. The truck is fun to drive and is fun to take down dirt roads especially after a heavy rain. The only problems that we have had is one of the dealer mechanics didn't put the oil filter on right and created a little oil leak but that's from the dealer. The only other problem/ replacement we had to do was putting new struts on the back but that would only be from over stressing out the rear struts. We have towed a 3500 pound generator trailer with the truck but its not recommended. If you can find one buy it."

PERFECT 2ND VEHICLE - CAR PLUS PICKUP BED

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "AWD GOES ANYWHERE-GREAT GAS MILEAGE"

Cons: "SEATS ARE HARD-NOT FOR LONG DISTANCE DRIVING TRIPS"

"THIS VEHICLE IS THE PERFECT 2ND VEHICLE. IT HAS A FULL SECOND SEAT SO IT IS A CAR WITH A BED TO HAUL MATERIALS-THINK EL CAMINO OR RANCHERO. WITH THE 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION IT IS THE PERFECT TOW VEHICLE BEHIND A MOTOR HOME WITH 4 WHEELS DOWN-NO OTHER EQUIPMENT NEEDED. THE PICKUP BED IS LARGE ENOUGH TO TRANSPORT MY "CRICKET EVS" OR MY JAZZY POWER WHEEL CHAIR PLUS IT HAS A PORT HOLE BEHIND THE BACK SEAT TO EXTEND THE PICKUP BED TO 10' FOR TRANSPORTING LONG ITEMS. SUBARU MISSED THE TARGET MARKETING FOR THIS VEHICLE WHEN IT DISCONTINUED PRODUCTION IN 2007 AS IT IS THE PERFECT TOW VEHICLE BEHIND A MOTOR HOME AND AS A SECOND VEHICLE."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Baja near Honolulu. See local deals