2014 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $12,510 - $13,169.

Invoice N/A

10/3.4

Based on 188 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

Best Car We have ever owned

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "Great Price, Fun to Drive, Great views from all of the windows, no blocked views."

Cons: "A little noisy on the freeway at 65mph."

"We have owned several makes and models of different cars, trucks, and vans. This 2011 version passes all of them in all levels. While the Volvo is comfortable and special to drive and the Rabbit Diesel was great for a long trip in the cold weather. This one so far makes us very happy to drive. The fact that there is room for two only with the dog is enough for us. The fuel cost for driving to a different county to work is unbelievable. I have nothing but praise for the design team of this car. There is a lot of open glass to maintain your space on the freeway."

Love my little car -- transmission is funky

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "price, mpg, parking, fun to drive, fun to look at"

Cons: "transmission is weird, oil changes $$$"

"I absolutely love my Smart ForTwo. Obviously, the gas mileage is great (but not as great as most people expect.. I get 40 mpg regularly). Parking is so easy. The inside has PLENTY of room -- much more interior space than you would think. And the car heats up/ cools off quickly thanks in part to its small size. The seat warmers are lovely in the winter! I have had absolutely no mechanical issues, nothing has needed repair since I bought it new in August 2009. I do drive this car differently than a normal sized vehicle, you have to. Yes I drive on interstates (even roadtrips), but I avoid being near semi trucks and I prefer not to drive in STRONG winds (you definitely feel it). But I have no concern for my safety at all, as long as you are a smart and cautious driver (aware that you are the smallest thing on the road), the small size of this car is not a danger. Cons: 1. Transmission is very strange. The car will not feel like a smooth driver the first few tries -- you really have to get a feel for how to change gears. It is jerky until you learn it. It is unlike any automatic or manual transmission I have ever driven (...it is automated manual). Once you get used to it, you are able to change gears very smoothly. (In my experience, letting it run as an automatic almost never gives VERY smooth gear changes... but when its manual you can control it and I think that makes it much smoother). 2. Oil changes are expensive!!!! Yes, you only have to get an oil change once a yr (or every 10,000 miles) which is WONDERFUL, but learn how to do it yourself to save big bucks. I have had to get two oil changes. I went to the M-B dealer for the first one and it cost something like $283. I let my dad try it himself for the second one and it cost us only $60 in parts. He said it was extremely easy to do himself after he watched some youtube videos about it. 3. As a smartcar owner you will get A LOT of looks --this car is a head turner. It gets annoying to put up with people driving POORLY/slowly just because they want to look at your car. and you will get very tired of the endless, repetitive questions you'll receive. ...unless you love that sort of attention."

Awesome if its what you want.

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Park anywhere, heater, AC, Music, gas, attention."

Cons: "Drive, 2 person car, loud"

Yellow Smart

"This car is perfect if you are someone who wants to park ANYWHERE you want and not pay too much for gas. I literally park sideways every day. Living in MD and going to DC or Baltimore with this car is perfect. Surprisingly it is very roomy for being so small and makes use of every inch of space quite nicely. It drives like a go kart which takes time to get used to, but I have found it to be quite fun. I get LOTS of questions and inquiries about this car every day and am always the center of conversation. If you are expecting a super smooth ride and luxury this car is not for you. The speakers are very loud and there is a AUX jack for those of you who want to play MP3. The engine is in the back of the car not the front which is always hilarious when you have to get your oil changed....none of the people at Jiffy Lube know what to do! Over all I am very glad I purchased this car and would recommend it because it is very reliable and inexpensive. I drove mine from Florida to Maryland and have NEVER had any issues with this car at all. Made by Mercedes, has a cool manual transmission feature with shifting peddles on the steering wheel. Also, AC and heater work like a dream."

Yellow Smart

Great Car for the last 4 years

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "fun car, great mileage"

Cons: "narrow wheel base for snow tracks from other cars"

"Wonderful car--very easy ingress/egress, great mileage only downfall is narrow wheelbase doesn't follow other cars tracks in snow."

Best value for the money in an city vehicle

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Good price, low maintenance, great warranty, fun!"

Cons: "no spare"

"I have driven small cars for years, but this car has taught me a lot about being a responsible driver. I was having accidents and tickets, which are normal in a city like Dallas. But being in a true SMALL car has taught me to be a good driver, no speeding, no trying to beat the stop lights and letting other people into traffic. For the past 4 years, no tickets, no wrecks. I love the car. Because of the car and the discussions it brings up, I have met a TON of people everywhere I go. I have dropped my gas and maintenance costs, no more problems finding parking spaces and LOTS more friends and "contacts"! It's wonderful and I am thinking of buying a new 2012 model. They have only gotten better because the management of Smart USA listens to its drivers. Everything that we have thought about improving, Smart has done in the 2012 model! It's incredible! Drive one! Curt"