2013 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $11,339 - $12,002.

Invoice N/A

10/3.5

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Meets expewctations

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"My Smart delivers great gas mileage - was getting 38-40 mpg initially but after about 6,000 miles it has improved to 45 mpg. Seating is surprisingly comfortable - you don't fee like you're sitting in a tiny car. The heated seats, automatic wipers and auto on headlights are nice features not usually found in this price point. This IS NOT a luxury nor a performance car so don't expect great acceleration and a soft ride. Awkward placement of seat back adjuster."

Best Car We have ever owned

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "Great Price, Fun to Drive, Great views from all of the windows, no blocked views."

Cons: "A little noisy on the freeway at 65mph."

"We have owned several makes and models of different cars, trucks, and vans. This 2011 version passes all of them in all levels. While the Volvo is comfortable and special to drive and the Rabbit Diesel was great for a long trip in the cold weather. This one so far makes us very happy to drive. The fact that there is room for two only with the dog is enough for us. The fuel cost for driving to a different county to work is unbelievable. I have nothing but praise for the design team of this car. There is a lot of open glass to maintain your space on the freeway."

the most reliable car

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "heated seats, auto lights"

Cons: "no cruise control, no hook for clothes hanger"

"I have owned this car for exactly four years, have driven it 84,400 miles and have yet to have a single problem with it! Occasionally a head light goes out and the fuse for my heated seats had to be replaced twice, but it's an easy fix and I can do it myself! I get an average of 40 MPG just about every time. It's more often above that (41-42 MPG) than below. I still get looks and all kinds of questions, but I love it, especially in the summer time when I can put the top down. I also put a bike rack on the back which makes it look even cooler when my bike is on it. Even my 6'2" boyfriend doesn't mind driving it and his long legs fit in it comfortably. I have had no problems driving it on the interstate from Western NC all the way to New Orleans, Savannah and Kentucky. It even does great in the snow!"

Best small car for Commuting and City driving.

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Economical. Price. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Other Jealouse motorists."

"I purchased my Smart ForTwo in 2008. I commute 60 miles per day, have taken it on road trips to Arizona and to Northern Ca. It has proven to be a very reliable vehicle. Low operating costs and great fuel mileage (I am averaging 45-47mpg on my commute to and from work) really add to the fun of owning this car. I previously owned a 2004 Tacoma. The Smart is more comfortable and even quieter on the highway then the Toyota. I can fit quite a lot in the car when I need to. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend."

Love my little car -- transmission is funky

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Pros: "price, mpg, parking, fun to drive, fun to look at"

Cons: "transmission is weird, oil changes $$$"

"I absolutely love my Smart ForTwo. Obviously, the gas mileage is great (but not as great as most people expect.. I get 40 mpg regularly). Parking is so easy. The inside has PLENTY of room -- much more interior space than you would think. And the car heats up/ cools off quickly thanks in part to its small size. The seat warmers are lovely in the winter! I have had absolutely no mechanical issues, nothing has needed repair since I bought it new in August 2009. I do drive this car differently than a normal sized vehicle, you have to. Yes I drive on interstates (even roadtrips), but I avoid being near semi trucks and I prefer not to drive in STRONG winds (you definitely feel it). But I have no concern for my safety at all, as long as you are a smart and cautious driver (aware that you are the smallest thing on the road), the small size of this car is not a danger. Cons: 1. Transmission is very strange. The car will not feel like a smooth driver the first few tries -- you really have to get a feel for how to change gears. It is jerky until you learn it. It is unlike any automatic or manual transmission I have ever driven (...it is automated manual). Once you get used to it, you are able to change gears very smoothly. (In my experience, letting it run as an automatic almost never gives VERY smooth gear changes... but when its manual you can control it and I think that makes it much smoother). 2. Oil changes are expensive!!!! Yes, you only have to get an oil change once a yr (or every 10,000 miles) which is WONDERFUL, but learn how to do it yourself to save big bucks. I have had to get two oil changes. I went to the M-B dealer for the first one and it cost something like $283. I let my dad try it himself for the second one and it cost us only $60 in parts. He said it was extremely easy to do himself after he watched some youtube videos about it. 3. As a smartcar owner you will get A LOT of looks --this car is a head turner. It gets annoying to put up with people driving POORLY/slowly just because they want to look at your car. and you will get very tired of the endless, repetitive questions you'll receive. ...unless you love that sort of attention."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25