2009 smart fortwo

8.4

Based on 208 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Excellent concept, but needs a few things.

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Good resale value, fun ride, a memorable vehicle."

Cons: "Poor transmission, few service areas."

"I like the room for my 6'2" frame, enjoy the fun ride, and love passing gas stations. However, I live in a rural area and the nearest place to have it serviced is 165 miles away. Unfortunately, I've had to spend $2400 in the past couple of months on service. The dealer says I'm just having bad luck at 29,000 miles, which I figure translates into "You've got a lemon." Therefore I'm having to sell it. I don't want to get rid of it, but it just doesn't make sense to hope it won't cost me any more in the next little while. Too bad. It has a lot going for it, but unless you live quite near a city with a dealership it's probably not the right car for you."

More fun than a pet monkey!

By on Thursday, September 25, 2008

"It's hard to believe the ride and comfort you get in this little car. I expected to compromise in that are but pleasantly found out that is not the case. In fact when in the car, you forget how small it is when looking at it from the outside. It doesn't FEEL small! A blast to drive and rides and handles well. Spirited and responsive too. I love my smart cabrio!"

Very impressive wee vehicle!

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "buy a used one, after the inititial depreciation."

Cons: "takes some getting used to after a large car"

"Since I began driving in the mid to late 1940s, I've owned 39 cars, including 3 British sports cars. This wee car -- a "Passion" model convertible with all of the goodies, is a hoot to own and drive. The quality that Daimler has built into this product is truly impressive. On the (mildly) negative side is the ride on poorly paved road surfaces; one feels every leaf and pebble. However, I really don't mind that, considering the quality of the car and the fun it is to drive. I would definitely buy another should the need arise."

Fun car like no other

By on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

"Fun well designed car. Great to look at. Very comfortable (I'm 6ft4). Excellent customer care, with lots of warranty repairs, recalls, bulletins in the beginning, most reliable after that. Count on 40mpg on PREMIUM gas, always. Very safe on the freeway. Got it up to 90 mph, when the rev limiter kicked in. Excellent to drive in bad weather. More fun to drive hard! Cheap interior. Lousy speakers. Atrocious transmission, stalls and heaves when shifting. Jiggly ride. But so fun to drive and own. Depreciates fast! Get a low mileage good used one, or negotiate! DO NOT EVER pay MSRP on a smart! I did and found myself 2 grand upside down on my loan when I traded it in."

Smart4Two

By on Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Fun to drive as automatic or with paddle shift. Milage is at least 40 mpg in city useing premium gas. On highway sway when tractor trailors passing is about the same as VW Beetle. In convertable w/ top down adding 2 more speakers would improve sound system. No matter what car is a head turner - don't be in a hurry to leave parking lot ppl ask questions and want to see inside. Wish more accessories were available."

Love Love LOVE our Smart Car!!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good mpg, EASY to wash & wax"

Cons: "NONE that we've found"

"We've had our 2012 for two years. (Less than 10,000 miles as we leave the AZ heat for five months each summer.) It took my husband a little while to get used to driving it as this replaced a 5-speed Miata - Zoom Zoom. There is really nothing offensive about this car. More storage room than you would expect. We average 37 to 42 mpg, depending on A/C use. Have taken it on 200+ mile road trips and it was wonderful. You can't beat it for in-town driving. You can make a U-turn in a driveway!!! Absolutely NO problems. Plan to drive this little gem for another 10 years or so."

Great car for commuting to work

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Read my complete review"

Cons: "Read my complete review"

"I've had this one since 2009 and it is a great car for commuting, and excellent gas mileage once you shift to manual mode. Now one thing I would like to point out to those who have read this review. You will noticed a jerking feeling to it because it is not physically an automatic transmission. It uses a manual transmission with an automatic mode and a computer controlled clutch. So direct to the point: Pros: Great gas mileage Very easy to maintain Not alot of mechanical issues Parking is not a problem Power:Weight ratio is good Cons: You will get cut off by larger vehicles alot"

Great "grocery getter"

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage, spacious, price."

Cons: "Lack of power"

Just cleaned up!!

"This car is great around town and on the highway. However, it lacks power and shifts slowly. This car is also not very comfortable for long trips (4 hours). Other than that, it is a very great car with a lot of features packed into a very small space with a small price tag! There is plenty of room for even the largest of my friends to get in and enjoy. I know a guy that is 6'3" 280lb and get gets in and out of it perfectly. He even drove it around and loved it!"

Just cleaned up!!

WOW!

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"I love this car! What a hoot to drive and the attention it gets is unbelievable! I'm also blown away at how stable it is on the highway and the great mileage I get (38). I bought this for my wife to drive but she hasn't gotten to yet! Maybe I should drive it for another 6 months or so to make sure it's safe!!!"

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I have owned every high-end sports car and have had my share of head-turning but this little gem has by far the most head-turning of any car I have had. The Smartcar is the #1 rated small car for safety. I have owned Mini Coopers and VW Beattles - all convertibles. The Smartcar Convertible is more fun, more realiable and handles better than its competitors. I'm getting +50 mpg and I think its because I always use premium gas and use the fun paddle shifters. You'll never have to worry about parking. I have driven this car at 100mph on the highway in heavy rain and behind trucks - its does great and I am not ever worried about being in this car just as I never worried about the Mini or VW. The warranty is excellent. I was one of the first ones to get this car and I have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Get over the size and don't listen to any naysayers - for the money, for the fun and for the enviornment - this is the car to have."

Great vehicle!

By on Sunday, August 02, 2009

"Purchased my Smart in July 2008... Fell in love with this micro car during my time in Italy. I was fortunate to get an "orphan" 6 month prior to my "reserved" Smart arriving to the states. Great car to drive; lots of fun.. if you don't like attention; stay away. You will have people taking pictures of your Smart and asking questions about the vehicle wherever you go! I love my Smart!!"

Fun, Speedy, and CUTE!

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"We LOVE this car... bought it 2 months ago and there is a 12-15 month waiting list still for it. We LOVE the convertible too! And, best part is that it is comfortable AND fits in ANY parking space, even motorcycle"

Fun Car

By on Monday, June 16, 2008

"I now have over 11k miles on this car and so far it has been super. I am actually getting approx. 49mpg out of it commuting back and forth to work which is a 60 mile round trip. I am very pleased and glad I purchased this car."

Most fun vehicle I've had.

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, easy conv top, fun factor"

Cons: "Shifting in early modes"

"I used to get bored with a car after a year. I'm going on 3rd year and don't even look at anything else. It's useful, inexpensive to own and operate, practical, reliable and useful. Everyone told me "it wouldn't do well in the harsh Nebraska winters. Wrong. No issues. I did opt to put in winter tires for added safety - Bridgestone blizaks which are inexpensive and made a big difference. Shifting on these early models were a bit query, however the newer ones have remedied that."

Really Fun and Cute Car

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

"I've had this car for 5 years now, and I still love owning it! She is really fun to drive and one you learn to compensate for the fact that you're driving something that gets pushed around by air pressure, it's really relaxing. I always get complements on her looks and there is always a patron or two at a gas station fill up that has questions about it and what it's like to own (which I find to be fun). I've kept her on regularly scheduled maintenance and haven't had any mechanical problems yet. My only long term concerns are about the places that I can get it serviced. There are only five places in my state that are designated "Smart Centers" and it's near impossible to find any mechanic that will even look twice at it outside of those locations. It's inconvenient, but it's still totally worth owning. :-)"

great for intended use.

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "good price, good gas milage, ease of access"

Cons: "no spare tire, rough ride"

"Bought car to save gas while commuting to work, traveled 95 miles a day, did excellent in gas use. averaged 45 mpg highway/ 35 mpg city. milage drops when using AC. Ride is rough, interior comfort is excellent with single passenger, I am 6' 4 and had plenty of room. Two passengers can be cramped. It is easier to get into and out of then all other cars , I don't have to be a contortionist. Safety wise never had a problem winds didn't create drift (exception being the 50-60mph gusts last year) and turnpike/parkway/throughway travels never created problems. For strictly commuting and local travel this car is great for intended use. Cons to the vehicle- leave room when entering roadways, the pick-up is slow. No spare, front & rear tires are different sizes, a pump and sealant are provided if you have a flat, but that is no help with a blowout/ large puncture."

decent car

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage and drivability"

Cons: "rough ride on bumpy roads"

"I have driven this car through iowa winters and it handles very well, the stability control and tracking help alot on slippery roads. great gas mileage averaged 40 mpg mixed city highway driving. however the ride is rough small car does not handle bumpy roads well."

absolute best car

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive gas mileage"

Cons: "space, power, shifting"

"used to drive gas guzzling wrangler. has many similarities minus any power or ability gear shifting is not very smooth but u get used to it cruise control is a joke on the highway cuz you cant take your hands off the wheel at all"

Sophisticated little car.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "4 down towing behind motor home Super fun factor!"

Cons: "Cup holders are not in a very usable location."

"I am very impressed with this little car. Very refined and well designed. It is a small car so don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac or have a huge cargo area. But for what it is, it is very zippy and fun to drive. Handles well rain, snow or shine. Very roomy for the size, I am 6'2" and fit fine in the car, easy to get in and out of and park anywhere. The convertible top is smooth and flawless, plus just down right fun! Not a car for everyone, but those that want a great little, fun to drive, slightly quirky, but cool car, this is it! Really reminds me of the 70's VW except better built, more reliable and whole lot more fun. Simple sophistication sums up this car."

Cute conversation piece

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Cute!, fits tall people, 40mpg, easy parking, safe"

Cons: "Catches wind, limited cargo capacity"

"I am 6'tall and this car even holds my 6'7" son! It is roomy and comfortable to drive in the city and on the highway unless it is very windy. Gets 40 mpg, easy to park, been very reliable and it is cute! It can hold a set of golf clubs, or couple suitcases or a load of groceries, but space is limited. The ignition key is located between the seats and my large dog has bumped it and turned it off on occasion. It is a fun vehicle but I have to use my old mini van for hauling gardening supplies or extra people."

This car makes me smile

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Why did I buy this car? Many reasons: built in an environmental factory, recyclable vehicle (you just have to get it back to the factory in France, though), high mileage (I get 40 on my commute, and 45 on the highway), cute!, SAFE, and the cheapest convertible on the market. It makes me smile every time I drive it -- just can't help myself. Thanks for reading!"

Fun Car

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"This car is a blast to drive. When I go to the grocery store, someone always comes up and asks me about the car. I don't know if its more fun to drive or more fun to park and talk about. I'm afraid I'll cause an accident when I'm stopped at a light because I see all the other drivers looking at the car rather than watching what they are doing. When I stop for gas, I always depart before all the cars that were already fueling. Who needs a back seat anyway."

A corvette for a beer budget

By on Saturday, July 04, 2009

"Paddle shift transmission,plastic body,transparent roof,asymetric tires,two seats,high octane fuel,red interior,etc... A corvette spirit without the high costs... The naysayers of this car are stuck on the past...The Smart will be a full sized car in 2016..."

22k and still fun!

By on Wednesday, July 01, 2009

"After 14 months of daily driving, I still smile when I hop in my smart. I love the convertible top and enjoy driving in manual mode ~ it's like a go-kart we can take to work. We did have a few issues with the shifter, which took two visits to the dealer to repair, but I wouldn't consider that unexpected with a first year model. I do wish the wheel was adjustable, satellite radio was available, the seat back levers were on the outside of the seats instead of in between, and a better warranty was included in the purchase price (2 years?! really?!). The real problem is the attention it gets everywhere you go - answering questions from curious passers-by ("is that electric?") and getting "stalked" on the highway can get tedious. Overall, my smart cabrio was a good value and the mpg is great. Smart has met my expectations and I would recommend to a friend."

Bigger than it looks

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Fun little car. My wife drives it 50 miles a day to work on about a gallon of gas. Has much more room inside than our Saturn and you can park anywhere."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching smart fortwo near Honolulu. See local deals