• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2009 smart fortwo

Based on 207 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

I love this car.

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pros: "Easy to park, reliable, peppy, fun, and cheap."

Cons: "Wear on tires; bulky aerodynamic profile."

"My Smart is an amazing car. It is solid, nimble, and incredibly reliable. With 130,000 miles and still going strong, it has had no problems whatsoever beyond standard maintenance work. I love the price of the car. While my friends are saddled with huge monthly car payments, mine is quite affordable and I got a lot of car for less than half the price. I also find it hilarious that the value of the car drops so quickly after you buy it because my property tax bill is even lower. Every dollar I avoid paying the government gives me a lot of satisfaction. Although it claims to get 41 mpg, I routinely get more than 45 by hypermiling. I have read complaints about the shifting but I moved to this car from a 1985 Honda CRX HF manual transmission and it shifts a lot better than I ever did with a clutch. As it isn't an automatic transmission I forgive that difference in performance anyway. I think this transmission design is more reliable and requires less maintenance than an automatic transmission in the end. I have driven this car on 14+ hours trips every year and I find it to be delightful on the highway. I don't drive excessively fast, very rarely exceeding the speed limit, but at very high speeds and on windy days the car's blocky profile catches the wind in an occasionally scary way. I wish they had designed the car to have a lower profile that was more aerodynamic (which would improve fuel economy), but on the other hand, compared to the Honda CRX which was invisible to other drivers, despite its small size its profile makes it more readily seen, which I am grateful for. The engine is perfectly sized for the car, maybe even a little too peppy. I think the car could afford to give up another 20% of its acceleration to get better fuel economy. I'm not driving any Indy 500 races, just commuting to work. I never have to floor the accelerator because I just don't need to accelerate that quickly, even when merging onto the highway. I have never felt like I was holding up traffic since I accelerate just as fast as the cars in the other lanes (muscle cars excepted). The only cons I can think of after many miles of driving are that the front and rear tires are different sizes so they can't be rotated, and so tire manufacturers only offer half a warranty on the tires, so 80,000 mile tires are guaranteed only for 40,000 miles. And despite getting the car aligned every year, the extreme toe-out angle they use, wears the inner edge of the tires rather quickly."

GREAT CONDITION . SECOND CAR, LOCALLY DRIVEN

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pros: "VERY ECONOMICAL. UP TO 45 miles per gallon."

Cons: "minimal trunk space. NO SPARE TIRE."

"Like new condition Red/black outside combo. Red/black inside . Has AM/FM and single cassette. Airconditioning. Tire pressure monitoring system. New Battery installed recently. Only has 10,800 ORIGINAL miles on it 7 years old!."

I have 100,000 miles on my car

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "Power windows cup holders and a radio and ac"

Cons: "Needs hands free phone Bluetooth"

"I get on average 40 mpg it drives great in all weather snow wind rain climbs mountain roads with ease I have traveled with it long distance and was comfortable I'm a big women 5'8" and 200 pounds and my husband is over 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds we fit in no problem we also take our dogs with us a lab husky 75 pound dog min pin dog 25 pounds and our jack Russell 10 pounds all five of us get in and go visiting ..I also shop for groceries by the month and get four stores worth of food in the car with pet food you have to have organizing skills but I get it done fairly easy ...love my car hope to have it for many more years and I treat it right so I will"

Very fun little car and great to drive

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "Fun, cute, drives like a sports car"

Cons: "Bumpy and not comfortable for a long ride"

"Fun to drive and cute to look at. I have found it to be very reliable. The worst thing about it is the lack of comfort but it is made to drive in the city and not on extended trips. Mine has tremendous acceleration most of the time. There are times when it will hesitate but I have not found that to be a problem. More often it will throw my head back when I take off from a light. I have driven it in the mountains and it takes them like a four wheel drive. It never hesitated or required manual shifting."

great for errands about the city, and really cute!

By on Monday, March 09, 2015

Pros: "great mileage, great for errands around town,"

Cons: "not the smoothest of rides"

"Both automatiic or can shift, fancy tire rims, CD player, automatic windshield wipers, good gas mileage. In other words, all the whistles and bells for a Smart car; does have cup holders and arm rest in the middle. Also included is a sun screen for front window."

Gets you back and forth

By on Thursday, March 05, 2015

Pros: "Fun in the sun, comfy when crusing"

Cons: "Jerky transmission, Not versatile, bad in traffic"

"It definitely gets the job done. Its a great car for someone with open roads and no inclement weather. The second you get stuck in traffic or have bad weather you will instantly regret this vehicle. The transmission is jerky and makes for a very uncomfortable traffic commute. Winds off 18 wheelers will blow you around and its so light you have very little traction in snow or heavy rain. Fun to drive in the sun and great for cruising... Fun side car but about as good as a motorcycle on 4 wheels."

most misunderstood great engineering ever!

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Pros: "perfect for congested places, park anywhere"

Cons: "Benz shop rates if you need repair"

"if you live in a crowded city with slow traffic and impossible parking, and you tried living with a "normal" car, you will totally get the smart. Small, nimble, very comfortable for two and reasonable good on gas - you will not miss your "real" car. Why? Because what you gain in a real car - more seats, more room for gear, more power - are the very things that will drive you nuts every day trying to get around in a congested city. The smart is a brilliant solution to inner city congestion - everywhere else it is a duck out of water. If you live in the typical suburb, the prairies or freeway heaven LA - you will never "get" the smart - but why do you care?"

A blast to drive

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Fun, handling, easy to park, great brakes"

Cons: "Wind noise above 75MPH"

"leased this Cabriolet because it is sharp looking, fun to drive, and different. I have only my wife as an occasional passenger and don't need a big klunker. Lease deal is great, so I can turn in with 36000 miles and still be on warranty. Averaging 39 MPG and have had no problems. Top works great even at 70 MPH. Get a weeks worth of groceries in rear or two carry on bags when going to airport. Love the automatic clutch manual. People who don't like the tranny are most likely trying to drive it in automatic which is not the best way. With the paddle shifters, I put it in the gear I want and have plenty of acceleration up to about 65 MPH. Above 75 mph get a lot of wind noise, but never drive on interstate for more that 10 miles at a time, so no problem. Fit and finish is excellent for a very low priced car. Love the radio with the flash drive in the glove box. Everything neat and out of the way."

Outstanding value

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Outstanding value; safe and inexpensive to drive"

Cons: "Comfortable but spartan interior"

"Smart is a spin off of Mercedes and the mechanical parts reflect this heritage. If you are looking for luxury and power, this is not your vehicle. But if you are looking for a safe car that is fun to drive, easy to park, highly reliable, and an outstanding value to drive, the smart fortwo may be for you"

Love this car!!

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "great price,fun to drive, very reliable"

Cons: "honestly haven't found any yet"

Just chillin'

"I bought a 2009 Smart Passion new in June '09. Five-plus years later, I'm still in love with this little bug. It would take something HUGE to have me get rid of it. Many reviews talk about how uncomfortable/tedious it is or would be to drive for a long time on the highway. Well, in July 2014, me and my Smart car drove round-trip from Nashville to Maryland, 680 miles, 11 hours, stopping only for gas and the occasional stretch. It was terrific! I was comfortable, not stressed out being on interstates w/larger vehicles, and arrived without feeling wrung out. Since I bought it, I've needed only new tires, windshield washers, and a new battery (beyond the recommended oil changes, etc.). Guys...it doesn't get much better than this!"

Just chillin'

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching smart fortwo near Honolulu. See local deals