2009 smart fortwo

8.4

Based on 208 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Excellent concept, but needs a few things.

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Good resale value, fun ride, a memorable vehicle."

Cons: "Poor transmission, few service areas."

"I like the room for my 6'2" frame, enjoy the fun ride, and love passing gas stations. However, I live in a rural area and the nearest place to have it serviced is 165 miles away. Unfortunately, I've had to spend $2400 in the past couple of months on service. The dealer says I'm just having bad luck at 29,000 miles, which I figure translates into "You've got a lemon." Therefore I'm having to sell it. I don't want to get rid of it, but it just doesn't make sense to hope it won't cost me any more in the next little while. Too bad. It has a lot going for it, but unless you live quite near a city with a dealership it's probably not the right car for you."

Fun car like no other

By on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

"Fun well designed car. Great to look at. Very comfortable (I'm 6ft4). Excellent customer care, with lots of warranty repairs, recalls, bulletins in the beginning, most reliable after that. Count on 40mpg on PREMIUM gas, always. Very safe on the freeway. Got it up to 90 mph, when the rev limiter kicked in. Excellent to drive in bad weather. More fun to drive hard! Cheap interior. Lousy speakers. Atrocious transmission, stalls and heaves when shifting. Jiggly ride. But so fun to drive and own. Depreciates fast! Get a low mileage good used one, or negotiate! DO NOT EVER pay MSRP on a smart! I did and found myself 2 grand upside down on my loan when I traded it in."

Smart4Two

By on Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Fun to drive as automatic or with paddle shift. Milage is at least 40 mpg in city useing premium gas. On highway sway when tractor trailors passing is about the same as VW Beetle. In convertable w/ top down adding 2 more speakers would improve sound system. No matter what car is a head turner - don't be in a hurry to leave parking lot ppl ask questions and want to see inside. Wish more accessories were available."

Great car for commuting to work

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Read my complete review"

Cons: "Read my complete review"

"I've had this one since 2009 and it is a great car for commuting, and excellent gas mileage once you shift to manual mode. Now one thing I would like to point out to those who have read this review. You will noticed a jerking feeling to it because it is not physically an automatic transmission. It uses a manual transmission with an automatic mode and a computer controlled clutch. So direct to the point: Pros: Great gas mileage Very easy to maintain Not alot of mechanical issues Parking is not a problem Power:Weight ratio is good Cons: You will get cut off by larger vehicles alot"

Love Love LOVE our Smart Car!!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good mpg, EASY to wash & wax"

Cons: "NONE that we've found"

"We've had our 2012 for two years. (Less than 10,000 miles as we leave the AZ heat for five months each summer.) It took my husband a little while to get used to driving it as this replaced a 5-speed Miata - Zoom Zoom. There is really nothing offensive about this car. More storage room than you would expect. We average 37 to 42 mpg, depending on A/C use. Have taken it on 200+ mile road trips and it was wonderful. You can't beat it for in-town driving. You can make a U-turn in a driveway!!! Absolutely NO problems. Plan to drive this little gem for another 10 years or so."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching smart fortwo near Honolulu. See local deals