2011 Scion xD

Based on 150 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

scion xd review

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I have had the vehicle for almost 2 yrs now. If you are in need of reliable and functional vehicle, this definatley fits the bill. I take care of it cuz i know this will last me a long time."

Worth Every Dollar

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I was deliberating between the Honda Fit and Scion xD for a few weeks before going with the xD. I test drove both vehicles and found that the xD felt like it had more room and nimble handling. The Fit was okay, but that's about it. I do prefer the sportier look of the xD. For the last five years, I've been driving a '92 Crown Vic with a V8 so this was a bit of an adjustment for me in regarding to driving up hills, accelaration, etc. However, last night as I was coming home from eastern Washington, I had to pass a vehicle ahead of me. Without even thinking about it, I easily moved out of my lane, over took the other vehicle and slid back into traffic. With a Corrolla engine, I don't have to worry about reliability. The standard safety features are "upgrades" in many other vehicles of this class. For an entry level sub compact and my first car buying experience of no haggling, I would say this is the best first car I've ever purchased."

Picked Over Fit

By on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

"I honestly don't understand some of the 'negative' press on this car. I am a Honda fan, but after several test drives of the Fit and the Scion xD, we chose the Scion. The interior material was of higher quality and the feel was overall more solid. While the Fit's 5-speed manual was 'dreamy' and better than Toyota's version, the automatic trans gave a clear nod to Scion. We also loved the mini-cooper-esque styling of the xD...while not crazy about the mini minivan look of the Fit. With all the seats folded down, the cargo room is very close to Honda's competitor. It certainly has more pep with the larger engine while posting the same fuel numbers. As of now, we are averaging almost 32 mpg in mostly city driving. Lastly, the engine noise at highway speeds is much lower in the xD over the Fit and we like the higher front seating and somewhat 'German-esque' feel of the steering/handling. It can be a little bumpy over bad roads, but it's not a Lexus. Bad roads are bad roads. It handles bumps better than our 09 CRV. Overall it is a terrific, good looking, multiuse vehicle for it's class and I think it's a great value. Don't let the Honda Fit-loving press keep you from test driving this one and that from a Honda fan."

Fantastic for what it is

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"The styling and the included features (iPod hookup, power everything, etc) had me at hello. The gas tank is waaay too small (8 gallons) so you'll be filling up all the time even though the gas mileage is a little over 30mpg. The tires are incredibly expensive if they ever need to be replaced so do your research before going to the dealer to have them replace them. I wish I did! Overall the experience has been terrific though. I just wanted to put the negatives up because those are usually more important when buying a new car."

Great car, spectacular death on freeway

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"Don't let it's small exterior fool you - having been in a terrible sandwich accident that crumpled the car like tinfoil, I'm walking, talking and not in the hospital. I LOVED that car; bought it specifically for the traction and stability control after the worst winter Wisconsin had seen in 100 years when my Matrix was unable to handle 4+ foot snowfalls over and over. I only had it eight months, but found it to be utterly reliable, a dream on the freeway, very cheap on the gas and best of all you could haul a great deal of stuff in it (important when you own a fixer-upper.) It didn't have the cargo room of my Matrix, but then it got 10% gas mileage and because it was smaller, I always knew where its behind was. It comes with a load of stuff standard, like cruise control, the ipod port, a port for your Sirius if you choose not to factory install. I called it my little quarterhorse, because when you punched the accelerator, you felt it. Plus, having the "pug car" made it easy to find - really enjoyed the styling. Was very good for carrying lots of home improvement stuff, four people and a dog. Only cons were that it did not have a compartment between the two front seats, and it only had one power port. If I had had a GPS in addition to the Sirius, I would have had to either split it or switched off. And if somebody plows into you at 65 miles per hour and pushes you into the car in front of you, you have a decent chance of walking away with a bit of a sore back and a cut on your hand."

very good little car, so far

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"i've owned my xd for five months/10,000 miles, during which i've averaged right at 42 mpg, most of those miles here in hilly east tennessee and the rockies. in town, driving conservatively, i'm getting about 39, and if i keep it to 60 or less on the freeway i get close to 50 there. surprised me. i'd gone to the dealership to re-test a yaris, but bought the xd instead, the very next cheapest new car on the lot. much roomier feel than the yaris, only about $1,500 more. my criticisms: sidemirror glare at night; no lock on glovebox; sun visors too small; too small for some things i want to carry. still, it's not once let me down, and that mileage was very nice when gas was $4+/gal. i've recommended it to other people already. barring a wreck, etc., i plan to keep it until electrics have the bugs worked out some years from now."

What a kick!

By on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"I had a Dodge Caliber and needed another car for long daily commutes in the mountains of NY and went to Toyota last year (2010) to see what they had to offer. I took one look at the Scion xD with manual trans and said "That one!" The test drive confirmed what my gut had reacted to. Tight and quick response on the road and great road feel from the power steering. I did not get snow tires and this baby has been a trooper in the snow. The traction control and stability control keep her true and straight in the most adverse conditions, and believe me, I have driven the Northway in blizzard conditions with snow up to her door sills and she plowed her way through without hesitation. There have been NO problems in the first 18,000 miles. The only downside is there is little "trunk" space but the two rear seats fold forward if I need the extra room. I expect to keep this little gem for many years because it is too fun to get rid of."

FAVORITE CAR EVER

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

"I worked at enterprise for a while so I have driven almost every car out there. I own a Scion XD and it is by far the best overall compact car on the market. I love my car so much. As a previous Jeep owner (2 wranglers and a grand cherokee limited) I love having some space but living in a city I no longer needed anything rugged. I can fit my bike in the back if I fold down the seats so for a tiny car, that is impressive. It drives nicely (not much pep, but that just wastes gas anyways right?) and I love this car so much! I never want to get rid of it. Almost 2 years and 16400 miles, best car ever!"

Underrated Car

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Standard options, great price & fuel mileage"

Cons: "Small spaces, no leg room"

"I bought my 2010 Scion xD with only 7 miles, and it now has over 71,000. I really do not understand why it is not rated better nor why more are not sold. I frequently make a trip that is nearly 3800 miles, round trip, and it costs me around $325 or less. I get great gas mileage in this little car, love the way it handles, and will purchase another Scion in the future, provided they have the hatchback I need."

Highly recommended

By on Thursday, July 10, 2008

"I test drove about 10 different cars, and researched many more. After months of dithering, I happened to see this little car and was intrigued. Two minutes into the test drive, I knew this was the car for me. Much more fun and a better 'feel' than the Fit or the Civic. Much less expensive than the Matrix. Much better mpg than the CR-V or Element. Lots of safety features standard! I wish the mileage was a tad better, as I was getting 39-40 with my Civic - but I am VERY happy with the car overall. I love driving it! And it's so cute!!"

I LOVE IT

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Reason: needed bigger car

Pros: "great price and easy to customize"

Cons: "not a lot of trunk space"

"this was the first car I bought on my own and i loved it! it has been reliable and fun to drive. THe interior is cute and functional with two glove boxes. the only reason I got rid of mine was that I had two children and there isnt enough room for two car seats. but this would be perfect for a teen, single person or a couple without kids in car seats"

exactly what we expected it to be - or better

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "cheap, fun, roomy, sporty"

Cons: "wiper switchs non-intuitive - no lights always on"

"wanted a gas miser with enough room to haul our three bird dogs around and to serve as a backup to our work cars - fits the bill exactly - is roomy enough for wife, dogs and I - even us, dogs and 8 to 10 sacks of groceries for the 10 mile trip home - I am 5' 10" and 235 lbs and am perfectly comfy in the front or rear seats. We have the manual transmission and get 35 to 39 miles per gallon on half country roads and half town streets - when on the long road we average 38 to 44 miles per gallon. It is plenty peppy and while you do hear the engine and do feel the road grooves you can park it anywhere and see well all around and it is very fun to drive - we both want to drive it over our regular full sized work car and truck - couldn't be more pleased considering what we wanted it for and and at a price barely higher than my Polaris Ranger utility vehicle. It is very satisfying to cut the oil companies out of some of those highest profits ever."

Most dependable and fun car I've owned

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Great handling, sporty looks, great pick-up"

Cons: "no center console but aftermarket available"

"I've driven this car for close to 80k miles now and I love it! Been a trooper in the snow, plowed through 10" blizzard and got me home safely! I have the RS 1.0 model with the factory body kit and it handles like my racing kart. I have to pull out into interstate traffic every morning and it has great pickup. Up to 70mph very quickly. The handling is amazing for a car in this class, my husband thinks the steering is too sensitive but it's just quick and helps you avoid the idiots on your morning commute. I do feel a little intimidated on the highway, going from an SUV to this but with the great gas mileage, I'll deal with it! Mostly highway driving and averaging 32-35 mpg. It has all the basic features you need and I can even hook up my phone to the aux jack and talk through the stereo if I put phone on speaker. Bluetooth would be nice. Overall a great car, it is a Toyota after all!!"

Love my xD!

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun interior,unique exterior, value, sound system"

"I originally wanted to purchase the Scion xB, but seeing as how it was a little out of my price range I bought the xD. I love it! I test drove the Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Mazda 2,and the Kia Soul. I narrowed my selection down to the Honda Fit an Scion xD. I liked both, but I felt the xD was a better value. It was a little less expensive than the Fit and had basically all the same features and more. I love the interior and the exterior. It's been an excellent car. It's no speed demon, but it certainly has some pep so you can cruise around those painfully slow drivers. The sound system is nice and it has tons of personality. My husband loves it as well. I actually prefer the look of the xD to the Fit. I have absolutely no complaints about my car and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable car with character, quality, and value."

great car for small family

By on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"We purchased this car the first day it hit our local scion dealership, we went in looking for a Tc and ended up taking this instead, the Tc body style was already a few years old, and the Xd price is hard to beat, we have almost 27000 miles on it now, and it still drives like the day we bought it. Besides oil changes the only maintenance we have had to do is replace the brake pads, this seems to be a common thing with toyota's ( I have owned 4 since 2000) the factory toyota brake pads are extremely soft, so they are super quiet, but they leave a lot of brake dust and they always seem to wear out fast(25K range). Other than that this car is great, it rides smooth at freeway speeds, Im averaging 29 miles a gallon ( 50/50 on streets and freeways ) Going grocery shopping with the hatchback is always easy to get bags in and out, and it fits in almost any parking spot."

Great car

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliability and cost"

Cons: "Ride quality."

"I have had my xd for 5 years and have changed the oil, put one set of front brakes, and tires on it. It still runs great and I don't foresee any upcoming repairs. It currently has 94,500 miles. Great value considering I only paid $17,500 for it!"

Stylish and attention grabbing

By on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"I bought my scion xd in March 08. I fell in love with the unique design and stylish interior. This car is cute and reliable. My only complaint soon after buying the vehicle was the textured dash, it is honestly impossible to keep clean. The gas mileage is great avg 34 mpg. I have used this car to commute 90 miles a day to and from college and the fuel efficiency has really saved me a lot of money. Although the xd is front wheel drive, it does not do very well on ice/snow. Also I thought I would mention that for anyone who is very tall, this may not be the car for you. The interior is designed to come down alot in the center, this makes for limited leg room and not very comfortable on long trips. But overall, beside a few minor complaints, I have loved this car, just getting ready to start a family and need something larger. I have definately gotten a lot of compliments on the edgy look of the vehicle."

It's OK

By on Monday, April 20, 2009

"I've had this car for over a year and while the gas mileage is pretty impressive and the sound system is pretty good, I'm not real impressed. (Appx 30 to 32 mpg in town and I have gotten 40 mpg on long trips.) For such a small car the ride is decent on short trips and it handles well. The get up and go is there. On longer trip... stop often. Small thing irritate me and this car has it's share. The transmission is slow getting into that last gear. Rolling the windows down does not get any moisture off of the outside.(Morning dew, etc...) You have to get out and wipe each one off. You can not see the radio display in the daytime. The car locks itself. I know.... everyone says I must be "pushing the button". I'm not. I can get out of the car, realize I left something, reach for the door & it's locked. (So- if you need to run out to this car for something.... take your keys. Sometimes it's locked, sometimes it isn't.) The low price is the basic car... every single thing is extra. As a whole this car is kinda fun to drive, gas mileage is great, comfort is so-so. Would I buy this car again? Probably not. Not because it's a bad car, but it just isn't for me. If I were younger.... maybe."

I love my car

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"Ok so, I wrecked my 2003 VW Bug, two weeks before going off to college. My parents tried hard to purchase me a used car, but when none were found, they settled for searching for a new one. We looked at Civics, Fits, Rabbits, and the xD. In the end, my last two choices were the Honda Civic and Scion xD. I loved the fact that the Civic was a quick fuel efficient car, but the xD had awesome features, great gas milage, and was very comfy. I decided on the xD and have been driving it for 2 months. It's awesome on gas and gets up to go when I need it to. I always recommend this car to everyone!"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Love this car! I am short (5 ft 1 inches) and this is one of the only cars I've owned that I can see out the back! Fits me perfectly. Handles well in the snow (Minnesota) for a NON 4 wheel drive! Only complaint is turning radius, can't do a U turn on a city street...have to do a Y turn instead."

Depends on your needs and where you live

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

"I have owned this car since 2010. So many positives for the money. Positives (great comfortable seats for someone with back problems even the back seats, great gas mileage, visibility good, for the size does well on a trip but best for around town car, no maintenance issues so far, haul groceries nicely, handles well and easy to park) Negatives (I absolute hate the low profile tires on the performance wheels, much too low, had the first flat ever in my lifetime, I get very nervous in the rain or snow, windshield forms condensation after a snow, dash looks like it is covered in paper not vinyl, door hinges look like Tonka toy parts and I wonder how it would hold up in an accident. . .God forbid I find out. . .Feel a bit intimidated to pass huge truckers in this little car, Can't put down the back windows for fresh air due to the roaring thumping sound in your head, don't like the noise and feel when you turn the steering as far as it will go) If I sold or traded the car the main reason would be the tires and living in a snow area. So wish they made a 4 wheel drive in the Scion!!! I would trade!!!!"

Great car

By on Sunday, April 03, 2011

"I love this car, with the high gas prices. This car is great on gas. I use to drive the blazer and caravan, horrible experience - gas gozzler. So after that bad experience owning this car was like a dream come true. Zippy, stylish and comfortable. If you are deciding on a compact vehicle, definitely buy this one. You won't regret it. It has all Toyota reliability."

Great value!

By on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"I purchased this vehicle in the summer of 2007 and was one of the first people driving an xD in LA. At that time, I was undecided between a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, VW Rabbit, Nissan Versa and the Scion xD. I bought the Scion xD and am certain that I made the right choice. The car not only is reliable and safe, but also has great features. The Scion xD was the only one that had a plenty of great features (iPod connector, power windows, power locks, cruise control) as standard, and it has high safety rankings from the IIHS. As of today, I have not had any problems with this car, and I am glad that I purchased it."

Fantastic Car! Don't think twice about buying one!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Great value - VERY dependable"

"Have had my 2008 for 7 years this coming October. I commute about 75 miles (37 each way) each day, so have put a lot of miles on it. After 150,000 miles the only 'non-maintenance' thing I've done is replaced a front wheel bearing. Compare that with another car I own(with 157,000 miles) that I put over $4,000 into over the last year. The xD is incredibly dependable. Not as quiet as a larger car, but much quieter than the Honda Fit. With back seats down, it carries much more cargo than you'd think. IPod connectivity and aux in are also very nice for the younger generation. I'd buy another one without a second thought. I bought close to the base model and only wish that Bluetooth had been available for the 2008's. Won't go wrong with this car. Only downside is it has a pretty bad blindspot and no place between seats to store anything, but these are a small price to pay. Hoping to get 300,000 or 400,000 miles out of this car. So far, so good."

Get what u pay for

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"23,000+ miles about 2 years on my scion xD. it's fun to drive not bad on road hazards like snow or rain. the SEATS are not comfortable on long trips. ...Toyota CANT make seats period. MPG is great. I drove pretty mellow for the first 500 miles. I found if you keep your rpms under 3,000 this baby will get you 35+ mpg! Everyone is surprised on how it is roomy for the average person. I'm 5'11" is fit fine 6' 3" PROLLY NOT. good car, great style. good compliments. factory lowered mine 2" and got the alloy wheels, no spolier. inside is Great! features beat all others! seats... just the seats. i am pretty rough on the car. fill it with all kinds of stuff. (back seats fold all the way down) 4.6 out of 5"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Scion xD near Honolulu. See local deals