• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2011 Scion xD

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

I love my 'Yip yip'

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "decent price, good looking, flexible"

Cons: "128 hp, 33 mpg top, hard to find"

"I went with this particular vehicle because of my personal need to transport large kennels (big dogs). It's really met my needs well, whether I'm traveling with my friend or siblings (comfortably, I'm proud to say) commuting on my own, transporting my dog, or packing a surprising volume in the back for a move, it's been great. No issues to date, and Scion's warranty and reputation was definitely a contributing factor in the purchase. There are faster and more fuel-efficient options, but you'd be hard pressed to find one in the same price range with the same space flexibility and good looks (I looked extensively for months before going with what I now refer to as "Yip yip." My significant other drives a heavily customized Subaru Forester built for Tarmac racing, and greatly enjoyed the drive in my little XD, referring to it as "peppy", despite its lower horse power, but with a very pleasant response with its light weight and size. I personally love a nice sharp small turn radius and great visibility for safety. Nice full audio range certainly doesn't hurt either. My favorite car I've owned yet"

Cons: "some road noise and noisy tires."

"Great car for driving in congested traffic . . . peppy, but not a lion. I really loved having it for these past eight years. New tires all around about 5000 miles ago. No mechanical problems and excellent mileage - 32-34 MPG."

Good first car

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Good cup holders, Two decently sized glove boxes"

Cons: "Seats, ride quality, Interior Space, Wind Noise"

"If you want a cheap, reliable first car, then this is the car for you. I'm averaging 36 mpg which is above the quoted dealership mpg. The engine, all be it really small, is peppy through the first few gears. There's good feed back through the steering wheel, peddles, and gearbox, while the gear box (with the manual gearbox) is notchy, and its very hard to miss a gear, although it doesn't like to be forced/rushed into gear. For what it is, it handles surprisingly well, even though there is quite a bit of body roll. The car is not a sports car, but it rides like a sports car, the seats do hug you decently, but are way to firm. This is not a comfortable car to take on long road trips, not only because its seats are to firm, but because its cramped in the interior. The seats sit way to high up, as well as the lack of overall leg room. Its also a sea of plastic, but more high quality plastic, it wont break just by going over bumps. All in all, it's a great first car that is easy to learn on (especially if you want to learn to drive stick), pretty economical, and cheap enough to break in."

2008 Spunky & roomy

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Reason: business needs

Pros: "great price, loads of cup holders"

Cons: "no way to open backhatch directly"

"My dad was 6' tall and was amazed by the leg room and head room in the front and back of this car. Plus the fact of how easy it was to get in and out of. This car is so fun to drive. I bought it new, because it was cheaper to buy new than a used car similar to it. Since this was new style. I had it for 3 years, put 66k miles on it, VERY dependable. I loved the way the seats supported the back of your legs, sets like a truck seat (non-Toyota truck)"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Love this car! I am short (5 ft 1 inches) and this is one of the only cars I've owned that I can see out the back! Fits me perfectly. Handles well in the snow (Minnesota) for a NON 4 wheel drive! Only complaint is turning radius, can't do a U turn on a city street...have to do a Y turn instead."

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cons: "Good for a single person or couple."

"This has been by far the most economic car I have ever owned. Excellent power and really fun to drive."

One of the best cars we have owned

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, feels solid, gas, fun to drive"

Cons: "HUGE blind spots. Rear headroom is bad +6"er"

"The perfect run around car. Front seats are great-really great. Great in traffic, with kids, excellent gas mileage. Sound system is good. Engine has good snap."

I like this car

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "saving money"

Cons: "slightly cramped"

"Not much leg room. My legs get cramped. The car is designed beautifully for lowered expenses, also with the first two years of dealership mechanics doing free 5,000 mile checkups. It gets up to speed faster than other cars I've had. Everything is working properly, like heat and air conditioning. The Bluetooth phone sounds nice. The seats are comparable or better than other small cars, but I find them a little bit uncomfortable. I save more money with this car than any I've had, except maybe an old Volks bug a long time ago. It's fun making hairpin turns. Enough room in back to carry an average load of things."

Underrated Car

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Standard options, great price & fuel mileage"

Cons: "Small spaces, no leg room"

"I bought my 2010 Scion xD with only 7 miles, and it now has over 71,000. I really do not understand why it is not rated better nor why more are not sold. I frequently make a trip that is nearly 3800 miles, round trip, and it costs me around $325 or less. I get great gas mileage in this little car, love the way it handles, and will purchase another Scion in the future, provided they have the hatchback I need."

Super value!

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Versatility, price, fuel economy"

Cons: "Road noise"

"I bought this car new. Reliability has been stellar. Fuel milage has been remarkable. The versatility is amazing. The only downsides I've found are the road noise and slightly underpowered engine when all the seats are full. I tend to drive my cars until they die. This car will probably be with me for a long long time. This car has had zero issues. Change the oil and watch it keep running. This car can fit huge packages in it with the seats folded down. The seating will fit 4 people comfortably (5 less so). Be aware this is a small car that can pretend to be big in one way at a time. Fill it with people and the cargo space seems small and vice versa. With the great gas milage, driving this inexpensive car for work was a money maker (milage allowace > cost to own & drive). In the end this car is what you would expect, a great value. The ride can be a bit noisy. The finish isn't luxury. But if getting from point A to B reliably, efficiently and inexpensively sounds good to you, this might be your car."

This car rocks

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, economy, fun, audio, versatile, price"

Cons: "still looking"

"Bought the release series 1.0 new in 2008 as it had everything on it that I would have added, only needed custom wheels. I travel a lot for work and this car has never failed me and is a ball to drive. Everyone loves the release series color and styling. It has always given me great gas mileage (33-38) average. I have put a cold air intake for more pep and done a lot of upgrades to the audio and sound proofing, it is a ball to drive as it handles so well. I have shown it it many car shows and taken first place in some for it's class. Did I say how fun it is? PS. I have a roof rack and load this thing up with a hobie kayak and tons of fishing gear for a mini SUV that takes me everywhere-cheap!"

Most dependable and fun car I've owned

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Great handling, sporty looks, great pick-up"

Cons: "no center console but aftermarket available"

"I've driven this car for close to 80k miles now and I love it! Been a trooper in the snow, plowed through 10" blizzard and got me home safely! I have the RS 1.0 model with the factory body kit and it handles like my racing kart. I have to pull out into interstate traffic every morning and it has great pickup. Up to 70mph very quickly. The handling is amazing for a car in this class, my husband thinks the steering is too sensitive but it's just quick and helps you avoid the idiots on your morning commute. I do feel a little intimidated on the highway, going from an SUV to this but with the great gas mileage, I'll deal with it! Mostly highway driving and averaging 32-35 mpg. It has all the basic features you need and I can even hook up my phone to the aux jack and talk through the stereo if I put phone on speaker. Bluetooth would be nice. Overall a great car, it is a Toyota after all!!"

Cons: "Ride quality."

"I have had my xd for 5 years and have changed the oil, put one set of front brakes, and tires on it. It still runs great and I don't foresee any upcoming repairs. It currently has 94,500 miles. Great value considering I only paid $17,500 for it!"

Cons: "Ride quality."

Bought XD used, a 2009, with 157k miles on it.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable for lots of miles"

Cons: "Somewhat noisy .. better tires work well"

"Bought this Scion XD in Missouri while traveling there in July, 2013. The car was maintained IMPECCABLY for five years before i bought it. (Manufactured 8/2008) After 160K miles, if maintained, they drive almost like a new one. I drove a new 2013 XD a few months ago, and I believe that a well maintained used one performs the same.) (IT IS a TOYOTA) same(Make sure the previous owner changed the oil and filer every 3K miles, or so.) I paid a little over 1/3 of the new price for my XD. If you are going to keep an XD for many years, I would recommend buying a new one. The quality is excellent .. Sheepskin seat covers are also wonderful."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Great value, easy to configure seats, great power"

Awesome little car!

"I have loved this car since I bought it. There is nothing comparable to it, quality wise, for the price. My manual transmission gives me lots of power, while I consistently get over 30mpg. I love that the seats fold completely flat, and I am able to carry just as much music gear as I did in my previous car, a Toyota Prius. For the money, this car is much better than what you get with a Prius, while getting the dependability of a Toyota. I put in a pioneer after-market nav system, and this little car is perfect. I paid it off this month, and know it will last me at least another 5 years! That's what I call value for the money. I can't think of anything I would change about it. Visibility is great out of all windows, power doors, windows, and locks, security system, cruise control. It looks cool in white, and I have gotten compliments on it everywhere I go."

Awesome little car!

Wish It Would Wear Out - Want A New One!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "100% reliable"

"Totally reliable, change oil and go... average 38 mpg (mostly hwy driving)"

very bumpy and extremely noisy car.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "price, look,"

Cons: "poor fuel economy, noisy engine, poor ride comfort"

"The average MPG is 24. The car is very bumpy and noisy. It looks nice in and out but its lemon. I would not recommend it. The warranty service is very poor. I will never buy Scion neither Toyota again.."

scion xd 2008

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "very nice to drive"

Cons: "noisy engine"

"Fun car to drive,great gas milage,except to cheap quality,it looks like they made them not to last,and I noticed that the engine is kind of loud!! But the car is good enough to attract others,(I usually get comments...) and save money overall!"

Aweome little car for the price

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "Price, sporty, customizable, and horsepower"

Cons: "noisy on highway, non-standard center armrest"

"I recently started working for a car dealership so I have plenty of resouces at my disposal for researching cars. My mom has the original version of the xD when it came out in 2008 (which she LOVES), so I am familiar with the car. My orginal choice of car was out of my price range in the end, so I had to look for cheaper options. I saw the xD sitting on our lot and decided to look more into it. I liked the price, it had everythign I needed, and I know they are good quality because of my mom's experince. So I got it and I do not regret my choice at all. For being a compact car, it has plenty of horsepower and it handles nicely. They are easily customizble (both from the manufacture and post-market). The only things I do not like is that the center armrest is not standard (to be honest that bothers my boyfriend more than me and I am the one who drives it more) and that it is a bit noisier than I expected on the highway. And the dealership my mom bought hers from is already begging her to sell it back and get a new one because there is a demand for them used. So great potential resell value."

not comfortable

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "cheap to fill at the pump"

Cons: "no arm rest, buttons in odd places"

dealer pic

"I wouldn't recommend this vehicle,I have owned this vehicle for less then a year (July 2012),you will find the arm rest on the door is very uncomfortable an is not proportioned properly, the steering wheel needs to have a telescope feature other wise you'll be reaching for the steering wheel (tall or short persons),it doesn't ride very smooth,arm rest doesn't come standard,seats are not comfy for long rides,(re-sale/trade in value is very poor)"

dealer pic

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Scion xD near Honolulu. See local deals