2013 Scion xB Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,551 - $16,912.

Invoice N/A

10/6.4

Based on 243 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Drives like a sports car, hauls like a big SUV

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "great acceleration and handling"

Cons: "Interior is a little cheap and develops rattles"

"I owned my Xb for 6 years and have driven it all over the country (including some rough roads it wasn't designed to drive on)and it has been mechanically bulletproof. All I've ever done is change the oil and rotate the tires. The little boxcar handles like its on rails and I love the acceleration! Only downsides is it sits very low to the ground and being an avid hiker I often hear the undercarage draging over rocks on unpaved roads and because its so low to the ground I've had to replace the windshild numerous times, seems if theres a rock or bolt flying off a big truck it will find the Xb's big windshield. The only other complaint I could have is it has developed a number of interior rattles, which is unusual for a Toyota product. My old Tacoma had over 200K hard miles and didn't rattle at all. Still I'd highly recommend this car to anyone who needed space to haul a lot of stuff but still wanted to feel like they are driving a high performance sports car."

My Sweet ride

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Roominess, fun to drive, good on gas, solid!"

Cons: "needs a standard passenger side arm rest"

little hauler; 3-4 bags of debris, blower, tools for gardnening

"I have had for 4-5 years and shes still the goods! I needed to get a vehicle for my job as a gardener. I can carry a 6 ft orchard ladder, small backpack blower, long handled tools and all my various hand tools, plus up to 3 sacks of clean green debris! the car doesnt even flinch at all that!! Oh, plus my little dog in the front seat with all this going on. (I go to the car wash a lot!) I have little to no maintenance issues, I keep up on all the preventative maint., and she just keeps going! Still feels solid to drive, like when I first got her! She does quite well in snow with the anti-skid button, but keep it under 13mph or it disengages back to normal drive, but I can feel her gripping the road pretty well! She drives well on the mountain passes here in WA and doesnt struggle. People are always amazed with the room. If you put the passenger seat all the way back and take head rest off, you can sit in the back seat and put your legs up and kick back! Its nice for when you have someone who has a leg cast on or something and they need the room, just make sure they put the seat belt on while in that back seat! The same model in Japan, the BB, has back seats that recline too!! I love that its a well made Japanese car, it may be on the economy side but its high-quality economy! Plus all the fun add on options you can get. I feel like its a well made car with reliable origins being a "scion" of Toyota! I trust this car to be with me for a long tome!"

little hauler; 3-4 bags of debris, blower, tools for gardnening

Bring back the funk!

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Interior digital gauges, Pioneer receiver, USB AUX"

Cons: "Transmission is dated (poor MPG), creaky dashboard"

"I love the Scion xB. Used to have a 1st generation 2006 xB in 5-speed manual that was tastefully modified (I promise). It was my favorite car I owned. I outgrew it, and wanted something a bit more mature, and sleek. I also wanted to go for a VIP-style luxury-look this time around, and you can’t be VIP and shift your own gears! ;) That led me to pick up a big-body 2011 xB in automatic. The 2nd generation xB in manual is pretty silly, anyway, but that’s just my opinion. It’s just too big for a manual. In any case, I do love the car, but I’m not in love with it. It lost it’s groove, and seems as though the Kia Soul is the newer version of the 1st generation xB—it has all the funk that the new xBs lost. I still like the 2nd generation xB more than the Soul, but just saying, it definitely lost it’s funk. I’ll start with pros for the 2nd generation—I do appreciate the larger body, surprising to myself, as I’ve always driven the smallest cars. Tastes change, as expected. I also appreciate how it’s more sleek in curves, while still being boxy. It comes with a myriad of features you come to expect from Scion—Pioneer receiver (head unit) and factory USB and AUX inputs, which are so important to me, and a super-cool dashboard setup, just like the 1st generation—only this time, it’s fully digital, including the speedometer! Why all cars are not digital is beyond me, but I digress. Other than that, it’s a very simple car with not much else in features. It does have a very nifty store section under the rear seats, which I appreciate. Now, my least favorite bit: the AWFUL and dated 4-speed automatic. It’s unacceptable, and very dated. This dated transmission is the cause of unacceptably low gas mileage. Moving on, the automanual function is laughable. It doesn’t respond the way you want it to—if you want to go into 3rd gear at 10mph, it doesn’t care—it’s going to do what it wants and eventually get to 3rd. Or, if you’re at a red light and put it in 3rd or 4th, it accelerates in 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th—all while the digital gauge says you’re in 4th the whole time. Very frustrating, so I don’t even use it. It also goes into 3rd automatically (no pun intended) when you move it from D. Even at a stoplight, if you move it from D, it goes into gear 3. I’ve driven manual transmissions my whole life, and the only thing that comes decently close is a true, proper single or double-clutch auto with paddle-shifters that actually shift quickly and respond to the driver instantly, doing exactly what the driver wants. Long-story short, this automanual is the worst I’ve driven. When it listens, it shifts quick, but it doesn’t listen the majority of the time. Very hard to explain without showing you. In any case… Next, there is this strange, creaky noise/rattle from the dashboard, and it comes right off the assembly line. I know this for certain that all 2nd generation xBs have it because my father’s 2008 model has it at 36,000 miles, and mine at only 4,000 miles had it (I’m not the original owner). It’s very unacceptable, and quite sad that it comes on a brand-new car. This type of noise you expect to hear on an aging car, if so. A very aging car. I still love the car, and xBs will always have a place in my heart. What I’m saying is that I feel that Scion fell off on the 2nd generation. I understand next year, the 3rd generation xB is expected—I’m really curious to see what comes of it. I am expecting a lot from Scion this time around—they can’t afford another mediocre xB. They need to bring back the funk, or else the Kia Soul will continue to reign."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "Size, Load cap.(Interior), Handling, Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Minor disappointment on interior quality."

"Interior needs a little nicer finish, everything works well but visible interior doesn't match the rest of the cars quality. Haven't checked out new models since I plan to put 250k on mine."

This one is a keeper!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great cargo space for treasure hunts"

Cons: "Too few arm rests and visor mobility is poor"

"Great driving. Great pick up. Great vision all the way around. Great cargo capacity. Great look and color. Having driven a Gen 1, bought and driving a Gen 2, I could see buying another one down the road. I really enjoy getting into this car, turning on some tunes and heading out to an errand or a 5 hour trip. The power gives me the capability to maneuver around the slow pokes. The handling and large windows allows me to stay out of the way of others stupid moves. Put the back seat down and move an apartment! Seriously, this car can take on the same cargo as a medium size SUV. I have put a patio table (large) and 4 chairs in there. Boxes and bags, you name it, I have loaded and hauled it. Snappy! An old word, maybe but a good way to describe the color and the look. The 6.0 Release with the Toyota Absolute Red and the boxy look are just about perfect. In case you have not figured it out, I really really like my xB, aka The L'l Red Toaster."

Adore this car

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun and funky"

Cons: "Could use a couple more cup holders in"

"I can't say enough about this scion xb. I put dandy snow tires on it, and it does as well as any mountain car that I have ever driven. Cars sliding off the highway, sometimes sliding backwards down the high mountain pass because of the ice on the highway - and my little road warrior just crawls along. It also has good power climbing not one but TWO high mountain passes - I have driven this car for 49,000 miles in less than two years - and this car rocks. It has the power to climb the passes at 75 mph, it does great in nasty weather."

Great Buy!

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, safe, roomie, good value."

Cons: "Not the best at eliminating outside noise."

"We bought our new 2010 Scion Xb in 2009 & have been so pleased we made this purchase. The gas mileage is great & it's one of the only sudan type cars that my 6'6" husband fits comfortably in. We also have a 9 month old baby & the car seat, stroller, etc. all fit. One of the reasons we chose this car was for its high safety ratings/features. Although the look of the car isn't my ideal look, it's been a very practical, clean looking, no-issue car. We've only had the standard oil change & tire replacement expenses, neither which have been outrageous. There haven't been any surprises. I would highly recommend this car."

Good car-- for the price.

By on Sunday, December 15, 2013

"Overall, I like my Xb. It has a lot of handy features, and it will get you from 'point A' to 'point B' (unless it is snowing). Pros: Decent gas mileage, loaded with standard features, plenty of interior space for passengers in front and rear, attractive dash Cons: Terrible in snow or slick conditions (especially with hilly areas like Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas), paint is easily chipped and scratched, seating is stiff and not well padded"

Most fun and practical car I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "Power, cargo space, headroom"

"My xB is a great car. Because it has the Camry engine it has a lot of power and quick off the line. I had a truck but wanted something that could carry a load of materials without consuming so much fuel. I load my xB with lumber and it doesn't even breath hard. Perfect vehicle for everyday and the tough jobs."

Best Vehicle, overall, that I ever owned

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "Good price, decent mileage, outstanding quality"

Cons: "Low windshield at top"

"I bought this X/B new in 2008. Unfortunately, my wife totaled it in a bad wreck a few days ago. Luckily, she was not seriously hurt. I am really going to miss it! Such a great little vehicle. Never any problems in the 5 years we had it. Comfortable, peppy and fun to drive with lots of interior room, yet small on the outside. I don't know if I want a new 2014 X/B, as I think it is due for a re-design next year? Will still consider a new X/B or maybe a Nissan Cube or Kia Soul. The only shortcoming with the X/B was the low windshield height which made it hard to see a red light if it was right above you and you were waiting for it to change. Minor problem, really."

love this car

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "it is like driving a go-kart, fun, tight steering,"

Cons: "not quick, but what do you expect from 4 cylinder"

"roomy, great on gas mileage, reasonable maint. costs-overall a great buy, have owned it since new."

I adore this car!

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Great car - love everything about it!"

Cons: "Would love if it had a sun roof option"

"This car rocks! Very good gas mileage, comfortable, does great in the bad weather, snow, ice, here in the high country of the Colorado mountains. I bought this new and have driven it all 46,000 miles and absolutely no issues ever! Often have to put on over 800 highway miles a month on icy snow packed roads over high mountain passes and this car just buzzes along past all the folks spinning out and slipping. It also has great acceleration even in cruise control when climbing the 10,000 foot mountain pass."

YOU CAN'T BEAT THIS CAR FOR THE MONEY.

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "FUN, PRACTICAL, INEXPENSIVE, SAFE,"

Cons: "NEED A TRANSMISSION AT 83,000 MILE. :>("

CHILLING WITH THE HOMIES

"HAVE HAD MY 2009 XB FOR FIVE YEARS NOW AND IS STILL FUN TO DRIVE. THROW EVERYTHING IN AND GO GREAT FOR PEOPLE CARRYING OR GOING TO COSTCO. I GET 33 MPG HIGHWAY"

CHILLING WITH THE HOMIES

Love this car!

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Good on gas, great price, comfortable"

Cons: "Blind spots, driving in the wind"

"This is a great vehicle if you're looking for something reliable and inexpensive to drive. It is very comfortable with lots of room with an ample number of cup holders. It does have some very bad blind spots and it's not good to drive in very windy conditions, but overall this is a great car. I would recommend this vehicle for people with small children, those who own small businesses or those who want a new car and don't want to spend a lot of money."

great value.

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "good driving car. comfort excellent."

Cons: "tires bad plastic in the way for oil change"

"Bought car new. Very good car value for the price. Front end out of allinement. Front tire wear bad. Brake senscor bad. First oil change that was done on car was over filled by 1/2 quart. I noticed after 2 weeks because engine started making lifter noise. Tires installed by factory really bad. I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles. Other than that I love the car."

Best Car I ever driven.

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Price, power, room for 5, and looks great"

Cons: "Spare tire is ugly (i have a yellow one)"

"Love my car I am 6'5" tall and i fit with no problem. I think its funny how a what looks to be a smaller car has more room and comfort then some SUV's and Trucks.I have 116000 mi on mine and have had no issues not to mention i have a 2008 . I do my preventative maintenance on it and its still like when i drove it off the lot. I went to a full synthetic oil and never looked back."

Braking system likes something

By on Friday, September 20, 2013

"My XB is a great car but the brakes are not good. They are soft and spongy. The dealerships say they are all the same and won't fix any thing that will help them. Scion needs to do something about them, to me they are really too spongy!"

My fourth Scion

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive,extremely reliable."

Cons: "Sits to low,easy to bottom out."

"This is my third XB model and it will go back to the dealer on Monday as they are pulling my new one off another dealers lot as they did not have the color I wanted.The new one will be my fifth Scion.I can't say enough good things about it.Extremely reliable,never any problems.Picks up speed well,nice smooth ride. I will say it sits very low so it's easy to bottom out on high parking lot entrance"s...Great car!"

Excellent Value

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Great price, comfortable, great quality"

Cons: "Fuel mileage could be a bit better"

"This is a great commuter car. I have already put over 38,000 miles on this car in the last two years and have had no problems at all. The ergonomics of the interior are great and the entire car seems to be of very good quality."

amazing vehicle

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "can't beat the price for what you get"

Cons: "windshield and front end are chip magnets...."

"with a K&N ir filter, I average 34.5 mpg on the freeway...36 mpg across country recently. A simple mod that made a huge difference in mpg. The car is amazingly comfortable...I'm tall and I've never been more comfortable...6,000 miles across country and back - some of the best seats ever. Reliable? and how. Strong engine...cold a/c, spot on cruise control and a ride that I find very nice... no rattles, grunts or groans after 4.5 years of daily use. I'd buy another...."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Price, standard features, room"

Cons: "4 speed transmission, ok fuel economy."

"The 2012 XB is the first new car that we bought and we really love it. For the price, you get a lot of things standard. The power and gas mileage is decent. We get 29 mpg on highway which is more than the rated mileage. The display is digital which is real easy to read. Some parts in cabin feel plasticity but for the price no complaints. It is comfortable on long trips as well. We just took it on a long trip and was very comfortable. Insurance is also cheap compared to other cars maybe because of safety features. I hope Scion keeps making and improving XB's. It definitely will do better with a 6 speed transmission. There had been a rumor that they were going to discontinue the XB this year but did not happen."

Reliable, quick, a lot of get up and go, comfort

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "Great price, reliable, quick, maintains value"

Cons: "No navigation system."

"While there may not be as many bells and whistles as fancier cars, this car has everything I need. Comfort was important since I had a previous back injury. Rear passenger room was important with a son that is 6'3". We always have plently of leg and head room. Never feel crowded with 5 in the car. If I am alone I can even get a 6" ladder in the car. Great acceleration for getting out onto a busy street or manuervering on the freeway. Has some really interesting features with the transmission. Mileage around town could be better, average 23 mpg, but that is lower because of the way I drive. Has MP3 plug in in addition to CD player."

Best Vehicle For The Money

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

"This is the first Scion I've ever owned or driven. It's great on gas, very roomy and very reliable. I purchased this vehicle pre-owned in May 2009 for 21,000. I now have 85,000 miles and it's still running like new. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone who's single or has a family. Scion did very well engineering this car. The only thing that they should have done different was add a timer delay option for the rear window wiper. You can only turn it on or off. Kudos to Scion!"

Car is everything I had hoped for!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Reason: given a Lexus by family member

Cons: "only black interior"

"Drives great, very responsive Back seat is extra roomy and back doors are large giving easy access even for large adults Didn't come with Bluetooth so I had to add Parrot Bluetooth and it worked great with exiting system. Even thought I was given a Lexus I didn't want to sell my Scion! I love this car!!! For the price I paid, $19,000 I think it is worth every penny of it and didn't find any other car in this price range that compared then and I still feel that way. Only thing I didn't like was it only came with black interior, I put colorful seat covers on though."

Lots of space . . . and doesn't ride like a truck

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Price, resale value, Toyota reliability"

Cons: "Lack of passenger armrest and 5-speed automatic"

"I've had a 2010 xB for 3 1/2 years; it's been dependable, fuel-efficient (27.3 MPG), and handy (for helping friends move, bringing materials home for renovations, etc.). Four adults can ride comfortably, though the front passenger doesn't enjoy an armrest on their left. Cupholders in all four door panels hold liter-sized drinks; four smaller holders are found in the center console. Dark tinted glass (standard) somewhat compensates for lack of a cargo cover (available for $260 at Scion). The gauges are easy to read; the center-mounted location isn't quirky after a few weeks. The seven-function trip computer is bare-bones, while my only complaint is that the four-speed automatic transmission isn't a five- or six-speed. I've never used the clutchless "shift on the fly" feature; if you stomp on the gas, it'll accelerate pretty fast for a shoebox on wheels. The great thing about optional equipment is that an owner can have as many they desire, or not, installed anytime after buying; light kits, alloy wheels, etc. I decided to wait six months before doing any modifications (other than the $39 cargo net and carpeted cargo/floor mats for $135); ultimately I added nothing else. This car wasn't even in the mix when I was buying; the VW Jetta Turbo Diesel (41 mpg hwy / 30 mpg city, along with tax credits) was my target, but lack of its availability when my prior lease expired, and a savings of $6500 on a cash transaction put me in the Scion - and have been happy since."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25