2013 Scion xB Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,554 - $16,909.

Invoice N/A

10/6.4

Based on 243 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Drives like a sports car, hauls like a big SUV

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "great acceleration and handling"

Cons: "Interior is a little cheap and develops rattles"

"I owned my Xb for 6 years and have driven it all over the country (including some rough roads it wasn't designed to drive on)and it has been mechanically bulletproof. All I've ever done is change the oil and rotate the tires. The little boxcar handles like its on rails and I love the acceleration! Only downsides is it sits very low to the ground and being an avid hiker I often hear the undercarage draging over rocks on unpaved roads and because its so low to the ground I've had to replace the windshild numerous times, seems if theres a rock or bolt flying off a big truck it will find the Xb's big windshield. The only other complaint I could have is it has developed a number of interior rattles, which is unusual for a Toyota product. My old Tacoma had over 200K hard miles and didn't rattle at all. Still I'd highly recommend this car to anyone who needed space to haul a lot of stuff but still wanted to feel like they are driving a high performance sports car."

My Sweet ride

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Roominess, fun to drive, good on gas, solid!"

Cons: "needs a standard passenger side arm rest"

little hauler; 3-4 bags of debris, blower, tools for gardnening

"I have had for 4-5 years and shes still the goods! I needed to get a vehicle for my job as a gardener. I can carry a 6 ft orchard ladder, small backpack blower, long handled tools and all my various hand tools, plus up to 3 sacks of clean green debris! the car doesnt even flinch at all that!! Oh, plus my little dog in the front seat with all this going on. (I go to the car wash a lot!) I have little to no maintenance issues, I keep up on all the preventative maint., and she just keeps going! Still feels solid to drive, like when I first got her! She does quite well in snow with the anti-skid button, but keep it under 13mph or it disengages back to normal drive, but I can feel her gripping the road pretty well! She drives well on the mountain passes here in WA and doesnt struggle. People are always amazed with the room. If you put the passenger seat all the way back and take head rest off, you can sit in the back seat and put your legs up and kick back! Its nice for when you have someone who has a leg cast on or something and they need the room, just make sure they put the seat belt on while in that back seat! The same model in Japan, the BB, has back seats that recline too!! I love that its a well made Japanese car, it may be on the economy side but its high-quality economy! Plus all the fun add on options you can get. I feel like its a well made car with reliable origins being a "scion" of Toyota! I trust this car to be with me for a long tome!"

little hauler; 3-4 bags of debris, blower, tools for gardnening

Bring back the funk!

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Interior digital gauges, Pioneer receiver, USB AUX"

Cons: "Transmission is dated (poor MPG), creaky dashboard"

"I love the Scion xB. Used to have a 1st generation 2006 xB in 5-speed manual that was tastefully modified (I promise). It was my favorite car I owned. I outgrew it, and wanted something a bit more mature, and sleek. I also wanted to go for a VIP-style luxury-look this time around, and you can’t be VIP and shift your own gears! ;) That led me to pick up a big-body 2011 xB in automatic. The 2nd generation xB in manual is pretty silly, anyway, but that’s just my opinion. It’s just too big for a manual. In any case, I do love the car, but I’m not in love with it. It lost it’s groove, and seems as though the Kia Soul is the newer version of the 1st generation xB—it has all the funk that the new xBs lost. I still like the 2nd generation xB more than the Soul, but just saying, it definitely lost it’s funk. I’ll start with pros for the 2nd generation—I do appreciate the larger body, surprising to myself, as I’ve always driven the smallest cars. Tastes change, as expected. I also appreciate how it’s more sleek in curves, while still being boxy. It comes with a myriad of features you come to expect from Scion—Pioneer receiver (head unit) and factory USB and AUX inputs, which are so important to me, and a super-cool dashboard setup, just like the 1st generation—only this time, it’s fully digital, including the speedometer! Why all cars are not digital is beyond me, but I digress. Other than that, it’s a very simple car with not much else in features. It does have a very nifty store section under the rear seats, which I appreciate. Now, my least favorite bit: the AWFUL and dated 4-speed automatic. It’s unacceptable, and very dated. This dated transmission is the cause of unacceptably low gas mileage. Moving on, the automanual function is laughable. It doesn’t respond the way you want it to—if you want to go into 3rd gear at 10mph, it doesn’t care—it’s going to do what it wants and eventually get to 3rd. Or, if you’re at a red light and put it in 3rd or 4th, it accelerates in 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th—all while the digital gauge says you’re in 4th the whole time. Very frustrating, so I don’t even use it. It also goes into 3rd automatically (no pun intended) when you move it from D. Even at a stoplight, if you move it from D, it goes into gear 3. I’ve driven manual transmissions my whole life, and the only thing that comes decently close is a true, proper single or double-clutch auto with paddle-shifters that actually shift quickly and respond to the driver instantly, doing exactly what the driver wants. Long-story short, this automanual is the worst I’ve driven. When it listens, it shifts quick, but it doesn’t listen the majority of the time. Very hard to explain without showing you. In any case… Next, there is this strange, creaky noise/rattle from the dashboard, and it comes right off the assembly line. I know this for certain that all 2nd generation xBs have it because my father’s 2008 model has it at 36,000 miles, and mine at only 4,000 miles had it (I’m not the original owner). It’s very unacceptable, and quite sad that it comes on a brand-new car. This type of noise you expect to hear on an aging car, if so. A very aging car. I still love the car, and xBs will always have a place in my heart. What I’m saying is that I feel that Scion fell off on the 2nd generation. I understand next year, the 3rd generation xB is expected—I’m really curious to see what comes of it. I am expecting a lot from Scion this time around—they can’t afford another mediocre xB. They need to bring back the funk, or else the Kia Soul will continue to reign."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "Size, Load cap.(Interior), Handling, Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Minor disappointment on interior quality."

"Interior needs a little nicer finish, everything works well but visible interior doesn't match the rest of the cars quality. Haven't checked out new models since I plan to put 250k on mine."

This one is a keeper!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great cargo space for treasure hunts"

Cons: "Too few arm rests and visor mobility is poor"

"Great driving. Great pick up. Great vision all the way around. Great cargo capacity. Great look and color. Having driven a Gen 1, bought and driving a Gen 2, I could see buying another one down the road. I really enjoy getting into this car, turning on some tunes and heading out to an errand or a 5 hour trip. The power gives me the capability to maneuver around the slow pokes. The handling and large windows allows me to stay out of the way of others stupid moves. Put the back seat down and move an apartment! Seriously, this car can take on the same cargo as a medium size SUV. I have put a patio table (large) and 4 chairs in there. Boxes and bags, you name it, I have loaded and hauled it. Snappy! An old word, maybe but a good way to describe the color and the look. The 6.0 Release with the Toyota Absolute Red and the boxy look are just about perfect. In case you have not figured it out, I really really like my xB, aka The L'l Red Toaster."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25