2006 Scion tC Consumer Reviews

Excellent Value

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"The tC is a sharp little car, offering a compelling blend of standard equipment, style, performance and reliability. Even a 'base' (non-Spec model) tC provides a healthy complement of standard equipment, including power windows, locks, mirrors, a healthy 160W sound system and god's own sunroof overhead. Performance is strong for the class, with plenty of power available from fairly low RPMs and fairly short gearing in the manual model - a strong contrast to many of the 'peakier' engines in the segment (e.g.: Honda Civic), and provides great off-the line thrust and passing power. While the engine lacks the character of more high-revving engines, it's far better suited to real-world city driving. Unfortunately, the short gearing means you'll be turning right around 4K RPM at 85 MPH. A sixth gear for better fuel economy and somewhat more relaxed (though you'll never hear the engine above the tire and wind noise at anything over 75 MPH) highway driving would have been appreciated. Handling is good, but not great - the tC corners fairly sharply, but rolls more than I'd like. In exchange for this, you get a great ride, with well-controlled responses to uneven pavement, even mid-corner. Fit and finish are excellent both inside and out. Inside, matte silver plastics and the large spun-aluminum HVAC knob are set against a backdrop of soft-touch material on the dash and side panels (with an unusual texture that helps prevent light from reflecting off the rather long dash in the steeply raked windscreen) and a grippy (and durable) black fabric on the seating surfaces to create an upscale 'modern/technical' look. Wheel-mounted stereo controls are a nice touch, but the wheel rim is a bit thinner than I'd like, save for the palm swells at 10 and 2 o'clock. The only real downsides are the high door sill and low seating position, which combine to create a feeling of sitting in a bathtub. Externally, the tC combines a pastiche of other makes' ideas with good proportions to good effect. A Volvo S40 nose/front clip, BMW-ish headlights, taillights that look stolen from an A4 and even the BMW 'Hofmeister kink' in the C-pillar all make a showing, but they all blend well with the somewhat slab-sided body, short overhangs and slick-looking dark-chrome 17" wheels to create a car that you'll look forward to seeing in the garage. My ownership experience has been flawless, with the tC proving to be a dependable and fairly economical traveling companion. The interior is a quiet, comfortable place to while away miles, with great seats and the aforementioned comfortable and controlled ride making miles disappear in seemingly short order. Fuel economy is decent, with my example averaging around 25 mpg in city driving and 30-35 on the interstates over the 15 months I've owned it. In summary, the tC is a stellar value, offering 'a lot of car' for around $17K. Toyota reliability and resale value add a little extra to the equation, and the 'no-haggle' pricing at Scion dealers is a refreshing change from the usual back and forth at purchase time. Buyers interested in a stylish, sporty coupe would be remiss in not giving it a chance, though for pure sporting intent, the Civic Si may be a better (if somewhat more expensive) choice."

What a great car!

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "Resale value, panoramic sunroof, quality, safe"

Cons: "Could use more horse power"

"I ended up buying the TC for my very first car only because my brother had one and I really liked the hatch aspect and the over look of the car. I'm so glad I have made that choice. This car is such a joy to drive and for the price you just can't beat it. It has been very good to me. I ended up replacing the stock head unit with a newer navigation blu-tooth system and I'm glad I did. It makes me love my car that much more. Maintenance wise, there is not much to it. Just change your oil and make sure you check all the fluids from time to time. The ride is smooth, the engine is for the most part quiet and even though I think it could use some more horse power, it does the job nicely. Although this car has been nothing but a joy to own, I'm keeping my eye out for the scion FRS. If it is made with the same detail as the TC's the FRS will be such a beautiful car. Either way the TC still has a great look to it and the resale value is very good. Plus its a toyota, it will last through all your adventures with you. :) Hope this finds you well, have fun with your TC's everyone!"

Best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "price, fun to drive, safety, low cost of ownership"

Cons: "road noise"

"After owning the Saturn, Jetta and Saab, I finally found the most reliable and maintenance free car I ever owned. For a little hatchback has surprisingly a lot of cargo room. Decent pickup for the low-power engine but you'd never know it. Seats are incredibly comfortable even the rear seats. All seats cradle you like a race car driver. All I ever I had to do between 65k miles and 126k miles was basic brake maintenance and oil changes. Some minor rattles you can feel the road at high speeds but that's what's expected from stiff suspension. Safety is amazing and airbags are quick and surprisingly soft. Easy to walk away from without a scratch when you need to...I'll miss you :)"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted