2006 Scion tC

Based on 669 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Excellent Value

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"The tC is a sharp little car, offering a compelling blend of standard equipment, style, performance and reliability. Even a 'base' (non-Spec model) tC provides a healthy complement of standard equipment, including power windows, locks, mirrors, a healthy 160W sound system and god's own sunroof overhead. Performance is strong for the class, with plenty of power available from fairly low RPMs and fairly short gearing in the manual model - a strong contrast to many of the 'peakier' engines in the segment (e.g.: Honda Civic), and provides great off-the line thrust and passing power. While the engine lacks the character of more high-revving engines, it's far better suited to real-world city driving. Unfortunately, the short gearing means you'll be turning right around 4K RPM at 85 MPH. A sixth gear for better fuel economy and somewhat more relaxed (though you'll never hear the engine above the tire and wind noise at anything over 75 MPH) highway driving would have been appreciated. Handling is good, but not great - the tC corners fairly sharply, but rolls more than I'd like. In exchange for this, you get a great ride, with well-controlled responses to uneven pavement, even mid-corner. Fit and finish are excellent both inside and out. Inside, matte silver plastics and the large spun-aluminum HVAC knob are set against a backdrop of soft-touch material on the dash and side panels (with an unusual texture that helps prevent light from reflecting off the rather long dash in the steeply raked windscreen) and a grippy (and durable) black fabric on the seating surfaces to create an upscale 'modern/technical' look. Wheel-mounted stereo controls are a nice touch, but the wheel rim is a bit thinner than I'd like, save for the palm swells at 10 and 2 o'clock. The only real downsides are the high door sill and low seating position, which combine to create a feeling of sitting in a bathtub. Externally, the tC combines a pastiche of other makes' ideas with good proportions to good effect. A Volvo S40 nose/front clip, BMW-ish headlights, taillights that look stolen from an A4 and even the BMW 'Hofmeister kink' in the C-pillar all make a showing, but they all blend well with the somewhat slab-sided body, short overhangs and slick-looking dark-chrome 17" wheels to create a car that you'll look forward to seeing in the garage. My ownership experience has been flawless, with the tC proving to be a dependable and fairly economical traveling companion. The interior is a quiet, comfortable place to while away miles, with great seats and the aforementioned comfortable and controlled ride making miles disappear in seemingly short order. Fuel economy is decent, with my example averaging around 25 mpg in city driving and 30-35 on the interstates over the 15 months I've owned it. In summary, the tC is a stellar value, offering 'a lot of car' for around $17K. Toyota reliability and resale value add a little extra to the equation, and the 'no-haggle' pricing at Scion dealers is a refreshing change from the usual back and forth at purchase time. Buyers interested in a stylish, sporty coupe would be remiss in not giving it a chance, though for pure sporting intent, the Civic Si may be a better (if somewhat more expensive) choice."

Great vehicle overall!!!!

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

"I bought this car with only 6 miles on it which were my original test drive miles. This is an excellent car overall. I have had some issues with the gas cap stripping so I have had to replace it (Cost about $20). Also where the trunk pops open in the back where the license plate is that has broken off because it was cold and I guess I was a little rough when opening it? I dont know when looking at the piece it was only held on with a few PLASTIC clips so that part is flimsy. The car drives great no problems gets up to speed really well, is very quiet at times I almost think I stalled it or something because its so quiet. This car is nice and spacious. The back seats recline so someone tall will not hit there head on the celing. I love the standard double sunroof. It has stock 17inch rims which are great for looks but suck when it comes to tire wear. They are low profile Z rated tires so you only get about a year out of a tire which stinks and the tires run anywhere from $90 to $200 a tire and then about $10 to $15 bucks more to mount and balance each tire. I love the look of this car it is very sharp and people are always asking me "what kinda car is this" because it hasnt been on the market that long and scion is fairly a newer brand so I just say its made by Toyota. This car is really a great car, it cost about $21000 after tags and taxes and adding a few things on such as a rear spoiler, BRAND NEW I think thats an excellent investment. It has every thing fully loaded stock such as power windows, locks and mirrors, tilt stearing wheel, a pioneer head unit/cd player with mp3 and satilite capabilities. The speakers and sound are really great it sounds like a aftermarket system when it bumps to the base. The gas caps has an automatic popper so no one can pull open your gas tank. It doesnt however have a trunk popper in the car or on the key you have to always manually open the trunk, which is probably why that thing has broken from all the pulling on it when opening the trunk. Also it come standard with a security system and all these air bags for safety so its not much to insure the car. Over all this car is great for everyone, it comes fully loaded right off the lot and is really great for its price. I havent had any issues at all with this car besides the gas cap and trunk handle area like I mentioned before. So if your interested in this car you should definately go for it you wont we dissapointed. Oh and if your afraid it may be too small go check it out because the inside is VERY spacious and if you have children it is very easy to get a carseat in and out with no problems. Not much trunk space though but the back seats fold down so that makes up for it, I literally have moved 2 times with this car and have packed it to the max and it truely is amazing how much stuff fits inside with the seats down. Good luck on your car shopping I hope this has helped you along your travels."

Inspires Confidence, Rewards Experience

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"This car drives like it's on rails! I have been a Toyota owner since my first car in 1974, a brand new '74 Corolla. Pretty good for a HS kid, but they were more affordable then. I have since owned a '78 Corolla, an '80 Corolla SR5 and an '85 Corolla GTS, which I still have. This car is very reminiscent of the GTS in it's size and handling, the only real difference is the tC is FWD. It is also a bit taller than the GTS, but doesn't really feel it. I also currently own an 88 Supra N/A, and R&T tested both cars when they were new. The Supra was 7.9 to 60 MPH, the tC 7.8. Overall the car is well made, handles well and is a blast to drive. This car inspires confidence and rewards experience. The only shortcomings I have with the car is the seat comfort and position; compared to the other cars in my stable the seat cushion is short and the position too close to the pedals. I am making some brackets to move them back. The other cars have you stretch out and are very comfortable, esp for 'spirited' driving, but this one is like you're sitting at the kitchen table. The only other complaint is, PUT A 6 SPEED IN IT!!! When it's off warranty I'm going to see if a Celica 6-speed will fit. Everything else is perfect or better. The styling is great, the interior is very good and well laid out, the sound system adequate (although 6.5" MB Quarts made that even better!). I often buy a car and think, I wish it had this or I wish it had that; except for the seats, this car is everything I want. I can't even imagine it with the available Supercharger. If you're just starting out, bear in mind this car is two-faced: it'll putter around town in Granny mode and run just fine, or you can let it rip and burn the tires off! I used to say this about 2-stroke motorcycles in the 70's. The VVTi induction is responsible for this. As far as fuel economy, I have hit 31 MPG on a couple occasions; I'm used to >33 with Toyotas (except the Supra, of course) and even with a 2.4 litre, it should be a little better. General average is 27, which I also got with a 20 YO Celica GTS, also with a 2.4 litre motor. Still, for the neck-snapping you can do with your right foot, this is pretty good. I rate this car just short of excellent for just a few items: the seats, the occasional squeaks (it seems all owners complain of squeaks, but mine seems less than others) and the thin sheet metal used in construction. Other than that, you're getting a Camry engine with a Celica suspension, and those components are hard to beat! BTW, I'm 50 years old and LOVE great handling cars like this one!"

What a great car!

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "Resale value, panoramic sunroof, quality, safe"

Cons: "Could use more horse power"

"I ended up buying the TC for my very first car only because my brother had one and I really liked the hatch aspect and the over look of the car. I'm so glad I have made that choice. This car is such a joy to drive and for the price you just can't beat it. It has been very good to me. I ended up replacing the stock head unit with a newer navigation blu-tooth system and I'm glad I did. It makes me love my car that much more. Maintenance wise, there is not much to it. Just change your oil and make sure you check all the fluids from time to time. The ride is smooth, the engine is for the most part quiet and even though I think it could use some more horse power, it does the job nicely. Although this car has been nothing but a joy to own, I'm keeping my eye out for the scion FRS. If it is made with the same detail as the TC's the FRS will be such a beautiful car. Either way the TC still has a great look to it and the resale value is very good. Plus its a toyota, it will last through all your adventures with you. :) Hope this finds you well, have fun with your TC's everyone!"

Lots of Bang for the Buck!

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"Had my tC since 11/04, so it is among the first generation. I traded in a fairly new Corolla "S" for this tC because it looked so nice on the showroom floor. At over 40k, I have to say that I love my vehicle. Her Azure Pearl color, tinted glass, LED tail lights, and billet grille turn heads, and many of the uninformed set mistake her for an Audi or Volvo (some haven't even heard of Scion). Aside from dreading replacing the stock tires soon (which is not cheap), she has only had regular oil changes so far. Gas mileage is decent (though the engine is geared low so it revs higher at freeway speeds), averaging 20-23mpg on the highway. I highly recommend the Scion tC to most people, but it is not a "family" car. If you are a student, first-time car buyer, young single/professional, empty-nester, or anyone who hardly needs a back seat, and you want good looks on a budget, then the tC is a good car. The `08 models have been cosmetically updated and have a few more standard and optional goodies, so have at it!"

great, sleek, dependable car

By on Monday, April 02, 2007

"This is my first new vehicle and I love this car. Besides the sleek style (I get a lot of compliments), this winter was rough in Chicago and this car handles the snow great!! I would definitely buy this car again."

Best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "price, fun to drive, safety, low cost of ownership"

Cons: "road noise"

"After owning the Saturn, Jetta and Saab, I finally found the most reliable and maintenance free car I ever owned. For a little hatchback has surprisingly a lot of cargo room. Decent pickup for the low-power engine but you'd never know it. Seats are incredibly comfortable even the rear seats. All seats cradle you like a race car driver. All I ever I had to do between 65k miles and 126k miles was basic brake maintenance and oil changes. Some minor rattles you can feel the road at high speeds but that's what's expected from stiff suspension. Safety is amazing and airbags are quick and surprisingly soft. Easy to walk away from without a scratch when you need to...I'll miss you :)"

great value

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, small coupe but spacious, unique"

Cons: "cloth seats"

"this is my second scion tc. the first one I had was a 2006 and I got into an accident on the highway in which the car was totalled. However, I survived the accident after hitting a guardrail at 70 m.p.h. without the airbags deployed (there was a recall on the airbags that year) and walked away without a scratch. The car is extremely reliable as long as you take care of it, just like any other car."

I LOVE this car

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, cute, good get up and go."

Cons: "my sun roof is sometimes a little touchy?"

"I have had my Scion from the very beginning and loved every minute of it! Mine has been super relaible, fun to drive and I still get compliments at gas stations (and keep in mind this is the original model before all the fancy new stuff). 5 seatbelts made it great for hauling groups of friends (longer road trips were taller people in the backseat are a bit more challenging) around town in college and the hatch can fit tons (dressers, t.v.'s)when time to move. Also great engine that pics up speed off the line (so says my couple of speeding tickets). This car has gotten me from age 20-age 28 and we are a still great pair!"

Best Car I have owned to date.

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Pros: "Solid feel, panoramic sunroof, audio system, clean maintenance record"

Cons: "for the 2007 model, side and curtain airbags were not standard."

"Honestly, this car is everything it should be... and then some. Since I was 16 to now 21 I have owned 6 cars and this one has been by far the best one I have ever owned. Not only are the looks simply amazing but the moment you step inside you will appreciate the detail that went into the entire car. The interior is wonderfully designed, very easy touch controls for the a/c unit and the fact that I can control my iPhone from the deck is awesome. My particular model has fog lights and custom LED tail lights that were bought at the dealership from day one. The panoramic sunroof is by far my favorite feature for this car. It really brings to life the sporty and elegant feel when your driving along the road. The engine is super quiet and powerful enough to get the job done. With the windows up and the sunroof closed, road noise is at a minimum. I have not heard one complaint from owners of this car. A very solid feel and built quietly. Scion/Toyota really hit the nail with the hammer on this one. I still get looks in my Tc and its 4 years old. I plan on keeping this car for a while as it is everything i have been looking for in a car and more. I would definitely recommend it to everyone as it not only captures the eyes of the young people but older generations as well. I hope this review finds you well, have fun with your TC's everyone! =]"

I love this car so much!

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, RELIABLE, would buy again"

Cons: "mpg is so so, kinda small backseat"

"I have owned this car since I bought it used with 30K miles. I LOVE this car, it now has almost 200,000 miles and has never once left me stranded or broken down on the side of the road. Before owning this car I drove a big pickup but had to give it up because of gas prices. I loved it from the start. When I first bought it, if you stepped on the gas it would literally make your head head the headrest. I love the sunroof. I have made many long journeys in this car and it has been a great, reliable car. The brakes are a bit finicky BUT if you stick to genuine Toyota parts or OEM standard parts you will be OK. This car definitely does not like cheap replacement parts, haha. Even now with 195k miles, I cam still pass newer cars going up a mountain with no problem. Drives like a dream on the freeway and it so much fun to drive, even in traffic. This car is an excellent example of Toyota's legendary reliability!"

Great car

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "drives well, good price"

Cons: "No updated features"

"Was one of the first to purchase this car back in 2004, loved it then, and still driving the same car with no major issues. I keep up with my maintenance as required and still driving strong."

I love my scion

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, fun to modify overall just a fun car"

"I've had my scion tC for a few years now and til this day I still get excited when I get behind the wheel of my tC. The car's bucket seats are comfortable, and the car itself is so compact, I definitely love the dual moon/sun roof, its perfect for driving with all my windows opened during the summer, its a great cruise car, fun to modify and very easy to modify, I've replaced my 07 tail lights with the unlimited scion tyc tail lights and swapped the baged grills to de-badged grills, I love this car, its fun, and if you're creative theres so much you can do with the tC, I've seen it done. Also I find that the tC has a very unique look, which I like a lot. I've had a few maintenance done to the car since I've had it but nothing major, it's a car so there will be minor fixes and replacements here and there, I love the small back seat windows, as well as the hatch coupe style of the car, I wasn't a big fan of the long antenna so I replaced mine with a s2k 7inch antenna, which works perfectly. The think I love most about the tC is its very easy to customize it to whatever look you want, although I'm not a big fan of the 2nd generation, there isn't much you can do with those. Over all the scion tC is a great car, fun to work with, fun to drive I'd recommend it for anyone whose on a budget when purchasing a car and for anyone who likes to customize cars."

Great car, with little cons...

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"I have owned my tC since September of 06, and I really like it but it does have a few cons. For example, I am 6'2'' and it is sometimes irritating when my head hits the roof. The engine also just lacks a little bit of power when accelerating. It seems like sometimes it holds back when initially accelerating, but once it gains it's momentum, it's great. Another annoyance, is the fact that the cabin gets very loud while driving highways speeds. If you blast the stereo, it's less noticeable, but it does make conversation with your passengers a little difficult. The only mechanical problem I've had is the back lighting behind the tachometer went out, which scion replaced. I do really love the car. The buying experience was not the least bit painful, and the price for what you get was amazing. It's very stylish and has great appeal. It's also very reliable, has low maintenance costs, and good fuel economy. It is a great and fun to car to drive! I especially love the futuristic styling with the Toyota reliability. I love my tC!!!"

best car ever

By on Monday, November 05, 2007

"i bought the extended warranty and it was a waste of money because absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car. i've had it since november of '04 and 75,000 miles later no problems at all!"

Hate to lose it :(

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "No major issues or expenses since 2007!"

"The only, ONLY reason I need to trade in this car is because it's a stick shift and the amount of hill driving I'll be doing for my new job would turn into a nightmare. I purchased this car for my husband, then took it as my own 5 years later when I traded in my other care for his new SUV. I was ECSTATIC to get this car as a hand me down and for it to become my daily driver. It is the first car I owned past making payments and I'm going to miss it something terribly. Maybe I'll sell it to my brother instead of trading it in for something else, he drove it once and fell it love with it. He's a mechanic, so I'd guess that's a standing ovation. There are very few downsides to this car and I'm sure they all just come from age, most of them. 1) The back panel cover for the hatch release came loose and occasionally I have to stick it back in place. 2) After years of heavy use I need to trigger the hatch release twice before the hatch door can be opened. This happened before the paneling became loose and likely caused it by me pulling up on the hatch door before it's latch was fully released. 3) Pulling up the emergency brake can he heard though the stereo, it causes feedback through the speakers. Only when it's actually being engaged/disengaged, not the whole time it's on. I've only noticed it when I have the stereo on AUX input. The AUX jack is inside the center console behind the eBrake so I'm guessing that over time a barrier between the two has become flabby. 4) The center console light has malfunctioned and turns off when I turn on my headlights. The dealership said this was a common glitch and offered to fix it (for a price). The car was out of warranty when this happened and it wasn't worth spending what it would cost to replace."

I consider my car as one of my best friends!

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, customizeability, fun"

Cons: "tires are always needing replacing"

"I bought my TC with 11 miles on it in September of 2005 and now (03/28/2013) I have 186,000 miles on it and have not once taken it to the shop for any repairs other than replacing tires. Mind you, I am not that good with being on time with maintenance, even once pushing 5,000 miles OVER the 5,000 miles for oil change mark. I absolutely love my car and will buy newer models from now on. Til this day, I keep getting compliments from strangers for my car. :)"

Great car

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "great car good mp good reliabilty"

Cons: "backseat, noise, head room"

"My wife and i bought this car when it was 2 years old. It had 30 thousand miles on it then and since we have put 100 thousand on it. Car still runs great doesnt use oil, love the sportiness with the fuel mileage, which is about 31 hwy. I have a big truck so my wife drives it since i drive over 100 miles a day to work and she drives 20. We both love this car. Do wish it had more head room. I am 6 flat and I have problems getting in but once I am in plenty of room. More insulation in the rear underneath the cargo area would be great too since the toyota racing exhaust does get loud inside the cabin. The back seat is great but hard to get into and hard to put a car seat in"

Amazing first car, I'm hooked on Scion.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Affordable, well equipped, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "The hatch handle/release tends to break, careful!"

"Bought the car new when I was 18. It's been everything to me. It's gotten me through a lot. You'd be surprised what a fun to drive, reliable car can do for your whole outlook and quality of life. My tC has never let me down, and has even led to friendships I wouldn't have discovered outside of the Scion community. I'm sadly looking to part with it in about two months, in order to get the newest member of the Scion family, the FR-S. I'm truely going to miss this great car, and I hope it's next owner takes care of it and loves it as much as I have. Go buy a Scion. You won't regret it."

High Mileage tC, thoughts and opinions

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

2005 tC 185k

"I purchased this tC as a commuter car. It already had high mileage ~150k, but was priced well. When I first drove it I knew I would be doing some work to get it back to it's original condition. I started with tires which can expensive because of the size, but I found stepping up the side aspect of the tire to a 50 series lowered the tire cost considerably. I also replaced the struts and went through a full tuneup. The 2.4 2azfe is a great mechanics car, as it has a lot engineering to make servicing easier. Such as; The oil drain and filter located in a clear area and right next to each other making oil changes a breeze. A antifreeze block drain in an easily accessible area. A timing chain versus belt which will usually last the life of the vehicle. 4 wheel disc brakes with a separate system for the emergency brake. What this means to the average consumer is far lower repair costs than other vehicles in its class. Now for the things to be beware of. Although it is difficult sometimes to determine whether you will buying someones headache, be vigilant of some key things. Previous crashes, which may or may not be reported to car fax. Look for distortions in body panels, water leakage, rust, or paint color/sheen changes. The car I purchased had no mention of a crash, but I found key indicators that it had been in one. The owner fessed up only after I grilled them with facts. The next expensive mistake on this car is that the catalytic converter is integrated into the exhaust manifold making it a very expensive repair ~$600. This will be a concern mostly to California drivers. The biggest let down for me has been that I discovered that my vehicle is actively burning oil. I purchased the car from a graduating college student and should have known she was keeping up on oil changes like she should have. Toyota's are very sensitive to oil changes and once the piston rings wear prematurely there is no going back. I currently burning about 1 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. I tried to simply replace the valve stems but no luck, still burning oil. Removing the engine on the tC requires the sub frame to be dropped, so I'm just going to run till she dies. All and all this is still a good car and when properly taken care of, will last you years and years."

2005 tC 185k

Great car for anyone!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Reliability, gas mileage, interior, sporty looks"

Cons: "No AUX port, slightly noisy engine"

"I'm a college kid, so I probably fit into the target market for this car, but I can see this being the perfect car for anyone. It has a Camry engine, so it's reliable. It has TONS of cargo space when you fold down the rear seats, with the ability to haul large, somewhat tall items. I usually get about 30 MPG highway and 24/25 city, which is higher than the estimates of 27/20, which I was delighted to find. The interior is well finished, especially for a car in this price range. Reliability, nicely-trimmed interior, good gas mileage, sporty looks... What more can you really ask of a car? Complaints? Well the only thing I can say is I was surprised to find that it didn't have an AUX port for MP3 players to connect to the stereo (that feature arrived in the 2006 models). Also, the car is geared for high RPM, presumably to give it a sporty feel, but the high engine revs can get somewhat annoying in stop-and-go traffic. I'm all about a good engine note, but a 4-cylinder Toyota engine is not exactly what I'd like to hear loudly. Overall, a fantastic little reliable car, with very good interior trim considering the price! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

Good Buy For The Money

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"This car is awesome. Fun to drive and catches eyes on the road. This car has great handling and is easy to drive. Alot of safety features to keep you comfortable driving it. The additional options are great and some really set the car off. I have the carbon fiber, pedestal spoiler, illumination kit, fog lights, and mud guards. I recommend the mud guards because Toyota paint chips very easily and the tires do stick out past the wheel wells so the 30 dollars is worth it. But for the money you cant beat this car. I drove a Tiburon and a Civic and neither compare to this car. If your looking for a coupe with a reasonable price this is the way to go."

Bought both my teenage girls a TC

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

"Bought my 17 year old a 2005 with 60k miles on it for Christmas. 2 years later buying my other daughter a 2006 with 80k miles. Both my girls LOVE these cars. I would highly recommend the TC? (It's also fun to drive for us Moms)."

So happy with this vehicle! LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "fun car, good gas milage, super cute!"

Cons: "loud when driving on freeway."

"This was the first car I bought on my own 2 years ago after owning a 2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo and its perfect. Today actually I got into my first accident (wasnt my fault) I was rear ended and my back bumper was the only thing that was affected where the guy who hit me owned a kia and his car was totaled. Good gas milage, awesome sunroof and moonroof combo, good stereo system, and surprisingly a lot of space inside for such a small car. The only things that I would say kinda stink is on long car trips the seats can be a tad uncomfortable, and its absolutely impossible to talk on the phone and drive because its so loud when on the highway. Nothing too bad just little stuff. Anyways like I said its perfect to me, couldnt have asked for a better vehicle."

Nice daily driver

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "reliability, sporty for an affordable price."

Cons: "very few"

"Very nice daily driver, very reliable. Stops on a dime. Driving experience is enjoyable. Good for a small family. Entertainment center is well designed. Handling is sporty."