2006 Scion tC

Based on 669 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Excellent Value

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"The tC is a sharp little car, offering a compelling blend of standard equipment, style, performance and reliability. Even a 'base' (non-Spec model) tC provides a healthy complement of standard equipment, including power windows, locks, mirrors, a healthy 160W sound system and god's own sunroof overhead. Performance is strong for the class, with plenty of power available from fairly low RPMs and fairly short gearing in the manual model - a strong contrast to many of the 'peakier' engines in the segment (e.g.: Honda Civic), and provides great off-the line thrust and passing power. While the engine lacks the character of more high-revving engines, it's far better suited to real-world city driving. Unfortunately, the short gearing means you'll be turning right around 4K RPM at 85 MPH. A sixth gear for better fuel economy and somewhat more relaxed (though you'll never hear the engine above the tire and wind noise at anything over 75 MPH) highway driving would have been appreciated. Handling is good, but not great - the tC corners fairly sharply, but rolls more than I'd like. In exchange for this, you get a great ride, with well-controlled responses to uneven pavement, even mid-corner. Fit and finish are excellent both inside and out. Inside, matte silver plastics and the large spun-aluminum HVAC knob are set against a backdrop of soft-touch material on the dash and side panels (with an unusual texture that helps prevent light from reflecting off the rather long dash in the steeply raked windscreen) and a grippy (and durable) black fabric on the seating surfaces to create an upscale 'modern/technical' look. Wheel-mounted stereo controls are a nice touch, but the wheel rim is a bit thinner than I'd like, save for the palm swells at 10 and 2 o'clock. The only real downsides are the high door sill and low seating position, which combine to create a feeling of sitting in a bathtub. Externally, the tC combines a pastiche of other makes' ideas with good proportions to good effect. A Volvo S40 nose/front clip, BMW-ish headlights, taillights that look stolen from an A4 and even the BMW 'Hofmeister kink' in the C-pillar all make a showing, but they all blend well with the somewhat slab-sided body, short overhangs and slick-looking dark-chrome 17" wheels to create a car that you'll look forward to seeing in the garage. My ownership experience has been flawless, with the tC proving to be a dependable and fairly economical traveling companion. The interior is a quiet, comfortable place to while away miles, with great seats and the aforementioned comfortable and controlled ride making miles disappear in seemingly short order. Fuel economy is decent, with my example averaging around 25 mpg in city driving and 30-35 on the interstates over the 15 months I've owned it. In summary, the tC is a stellar value, offering 'a lot of car' for around $17K. Toyota reliability and resale value add a little extra to the equation, and the 'no-haggle' pricing at Scion dealers is a refreshing change from the usual back and forth at purchase time. Buyers interested in a stylish, sporty coupe would be remiss in not giving it a chance, though for pure sporting intent, the Civic Si may be a better (if somewhat more expensive) choice."

Great vehicle overall!!!!

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

"I bought this car with only 6 miles on it which were my original test drive miles. This is an excellent car overall. I have had some issues with the gas cap stripping so I have had to replace it (Cost about $20). Also where the trunk pops open in the back where the license plate is that has broken off because it was cold and I guess I was a little rough when opening it? I dont know when looking at the piece it was only held on with a few PLASTIC clips so that part is flimsy. The car drives great no problems gets up to speed really well, is very quiet at times I almost think I stalled it or something because its so quiet. This car is nice and spacious. The back seats recline so someone tall will not hit there head on the celing. I love the standard double sunroof. It has stock 17inch rims which are great for looks but suck when it comes to tire wear. They are low profile Z rated tires so you only get about a year out of a tire which stinks and the tires run anywhere from $90 to $200 a tire and then about $10 to $15 bucks more to mount and balance each tire. I love the look of this car it is very sharp and people are always asking me "what kinda car is this" because it hasnt been on the market that long and scion is fairly a newer brand so I just say its made by Toyota. This car is really a great car, it cost about $21000 after tags and taxes and adding a few things on such as a rear spoiler, BRAND NEW I think thats an excellent investment. It has every thing fully loaded stock such as power windows, locks and mirrors, tilt stearing wheel, a pioneer head unit/cd player with mp3 and satilite capabilities. The speakers and sound are really great it sounds like a aftermarket system when it bumps to the base. The gas caps has an automatic popper so no one can pull open your gas tank. It doesnt however have a trunk popper in the car or on the key you have to always manually open the trunk, which is probably why that thing has broken from all the pulling on it when opening the trunk. Also it come standard with a security system and all these air bags for safety so its not much to insure the car. Over all this car is great for everyone, it comes fully loaded right off the lot and is really great for its price. I havent had any issues at all with this car besides the gas cap and trunk handle area like I mentioned before. So if your interested in this car you should definately go for it you wont we dissapointed. Oh and if your afraid it may be too small go check it out because the inside is VERY spacious and if you have children it is very easy to get a carseat in and out with no problems. Not much trunk space though but the back seats fold down so that makes up for it, I literally have moved 2 times with this car and have packed it to the max and it truely is amazing how much stuff fits inside with the seats down. Good luck on your car shopping I hope this has helped you along your travels."

Inspires Confidence, Rewards Experience

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"This car drives like it's on rails! I have been a Toyota owner since my first car in 1974, a brand new '74 Corolla. Pretty good for a HS kid, but they were more affordable then. I have since owned a '78 Corolla, an '80 Corolla SR5 and an '85 Corolla GTS, which I still have. This car is very reminiscent of the GTS in it's size and handling, the only real difference is the tC is FWD. It is also a bit taller than the GTS, but doesn't really feel it. I also currently own an 88 Supra N/A, and R&T tested both cars when they were new. The Supra was 7.9 to 60 MPH, the tC 7.8. Overall the car is well made, handles well and is a blast to drive. This car inspires confidence and rewards experience. The only shortcomings I have with the car is the seat comfort and position; compared to the other cars in my stable the seat cushion is short and the position too close to the pedals. I am making some brackets to move them back. The other cars have you stretch out and are very comfortable, esp for 'spirited' driving, but this one is like you're sitting at the kitchen table. The only other complaint is, PUT A 6 SPEED IN IT!!! When it's off warranty I'm going to see if a Celica 6-speed will fit. Everything else is perfect or better. The styling is great, the interior is very good and well laid out, the sound system adequate (although 6.5" MB Quarts made that even better!). I often buy a car and think, I wish it had this or I wish it had that; except for the seats, this car is everything I want. I can't even imagine it with the available Supercharger. If you're just starting out, bear in mind this car is two-faced: it'll putter around town in Granny mode and run just fine, or you can let it rip and burn the tires off! I used to say this about 2-stroke motorcycles in the 70's. The VVTi induction is responsible for this. As far as fuel economy, I have hit 31 MPG on a couple occasions; I'm used to >33 with Toyotas (except the Supra, of course) and even with a 2.4 litre, it should be a little better. General average is 27, which I also got with a 20 YO Celica GTS, also with a 2.4 litre motor. Still, for the neck-snapping you can do with your right foot, this is pretty good. I rate this car just short of excellent for just a few items: the seats, the occasional squeaks (it seems all owners complain of squeaks, but mine seems less than others) and the thin sheet metal used in construction. Other than that, you're getting a Camry engine with a Celica suspension, and those components are hard to beat! BTW, I'm 50 years old and LOVE great handling cars like this one!"

What a great car!

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "Resale value, panoramic sunroof, quality, safe"

Cons: "Could use more horse power"

"I ended up buying the TC for my very first car only because my brother had one and I really liked the hatch aspect and the over look of the car. I'm so glad I have made that choice. This car is such a joy to drive and for the price you just can't beat it. It has been very good to me. I ended up replacing the stock head unit with a newer navigation blu-tooth system and I'm glad I did. It makes me love my car that much more. Maintenance wise, there is not much to it. Just change your oil and make sure you check all the fluids from time to time. The ride is smooth, the engine is for the most part quiet and even though I think it could use some more horse power, it does the job nicely. Although this car has been nothing but a joy to own, I'm keeping my eye out for the scion FRS. If it is made with the same detail as the TC's the FRS will be such a beautiful car. Either way the TC still has a great look to it and the resale value is very good. Plus its a toyota, it will last through all your adventures with you. :) Hope this finds you well, have fun with your TC's everyone!"

Lots of Bang for the Buck!

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"Had my tC since 11/04, so it is among the first generation. I traded in a fairly new Corolla "S" for this tC because it looked so nice on the showroom floor. At over 40k, I have to say that I love my vehicle. Her Azure Pearl color, tinted glass, LED tail lights, and billet grille turn heads, and many of the uninformed set mistake her for an Audi or Volvo (some haven't even heard of Scion). Aside from dreading replacing the stock tires soon (which is not cheap), she has only had regular oil changes so far. Gas mileage is decent (though the engine is geared low so it revs higher at freeway speeds), averaging 20-23mpg on the highway. I highly recommend the Scion tC to most people, but it is not a "family" car. If you are a student, first-time car buyer, young single/professional, empty-nester, or anyone who hardly needs a back seat, and you want good looks on a budget, then the tC is a good car. The `08 models have been cosmetically updated and have a few more standard and optional goodies, so have at it!"