• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2005 Scion tC

Based on 653 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

A fun car to own and drive!

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price, great reliability, great look, fun."

Cons: "Rear latch for hatch not firmly attached."

"I bought this car after reading reviews and it seemed that others who bought it loved it. I tried it for a day and loved it myself. Very reliable, sporty, spacious for car its size, and a very good investment. No maintenance issues at all. Rarely wants oil. A good drive. Rear latch to open hatchback is not designed well and tends to break with extended use (cost me $50 to have dealership fix) but no other problems."

Loving every second of every mile

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Powerful, fun to drive, handles well, gas mileage"

Cons: "transmission may need replacing sooner than others"

"I've owned my Scion tC for approximately 14 hours, and have fallen in love with it. The car drives superbly. The handling is quick and responsive, the acceleration is powerful and chilling. The car runs smoothly, shifts smoothly, and provides for an excellent ride. I bought the car (2007, 108k miles, salvaged title) for $5500, and so far it seems to be worth every penny. The transmission, which my mechanic told me has about 25% life left, will nee replacing in a year or so. I believe this is common among Scions. Transmission usually needs replacing sooner than some makes and models. My mechanic told me it's about an $800 repair (with the car being FWD, most of that cost is labor). I went ahead and bought the car anyway, and love it so far. Would highly recommend."

Completely buried in repair bills

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Nice looking car"

Cons: "Seems to me, I've purchased a lemon."

"I purchased my 2005 Scion tC in 2012. It had about 97,000 miles on it and looked good overall. Within a few months, the catalytic converter went bad. One week after that, the water pump went out (it sounds like a percolator steroids when it starts going out). Five weeks after that, the clutch had to be replaced and just last week, the alternator. I bought the car for $6400, I have spent over $4300.00 in repair bills and the darn car STILL isn't fixed (or paid for). I've put less than 10,000 miles on it during the less than two years I've owned it. I am, to say the very least, totally disgusted with this vehicle. I cannot afford to get another and actually had to go back to work (after being retired for a year) just to pay the repair bills. I don't know how the previous owner took care of the car, but I know this....I will NEVER purchase a used car again. I'm considering painting 'THIS CAR IS A LEMON" on the hatchback window."

I love this car so much!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

"I bought my 2006 scion tc 2 1/2 years ago. I get the oil changed on time and she just keeps chugging along! I have not had ONE issue with this car. This car is reliable, comfortable and definitely fun to drive. The exterior isn't as strong as it could be(dents easily, mirror broke off just by hitting a picket fence at 4 MPH) but it's worth how reliable everything else is."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive/ Great price with options"

Cons: "Fuel system may be a flaw on this one."

"Just bought my 2008 TC with 45k! She runs great. A little issue with the fuel cap making the check engine light come on. I hear this problem is common for the 08'. Hoping she is going to be great little car. I'll keep everyone posted!"

See if you qualify for