2014 Scion iQ Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,272 - $15,775.

10/5.8

Based on 27 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Great buy for the money!

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Great price, highly likeable and useful"

Cons: "Could use more storage in front - no glove compart"

"As long as you don't need the extra space of a trunk, the car has it all. Two rear seats with belts, headrests, and airbags make it usable for passengers. With the rear seats folded down there is much usable storage and carrying space. The driver/front passenger cabin is huge and gives no feeling of cramping or tight enclosure. Just like driving a full size car. Mileage of 37 mpg. average is honest. Highway even better. Parking tricks are amazing!"

Great Small Car

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Makes you smile!"

Cons: "None so far!"

"I bought a used 2012 iQ and have had it for two months and so far have enjoyed the little car. I am a 6'2" 250lb man in my late 40's and have absolutely no problem getting in and out of this car and am very comfortable riding and driving it. I have driven mini vans for many years with my last one being a fully loaded Chrysler T&C. When I decided to purchase a newer vehicle I took a hard look at how I used a vehicle daily and 99% of my time is back and forth to work and stopping at the grocery store a few times a week with other errands mixed in here and there. At this stage of my life it made economical sense to go with something smaller and so far I have had no regrets. My wife and I are both comfortable in the car and there is plenty of cargo space for groceries or our small dogs when they go with us. The car has plenty of pep and I must say is a lot of fun to drive. I do get alot of stares and a ton of questions from people and alot of them are shocked when I tell them I enjoy the car and they look in and see how much room I have when seated in it. My gas bill has been reduced by 2/3 and that is with me having a bit of a lead foot with the air on. Of course when you compare it to my van there is things I gave up but I knew that when I bought it and comparing them would be like comparing apples to oranges. I owned a few smaller cars when I was younger so I knew what I was getting into buying a small car but I must say the iQ beats those other cars hands down. I will have to wait and see how it does this winter but with its width and wheel size and based on other reviews I don't expect there to be much of an issue. So far the car has exceeded my expectations and I have absolutely no regrets!"

Cute little run about car.

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

"I love my little Scion IQ. It was rated by CR pretty low, but mostly for being low on pep, but I have yet to have that problem at all. I got it before my grandkids started "arriving"so I'll have to sell it pretty soon. Not much room in the back, but that shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone. It's peppy enough for me, plenty of room for driver and passenger, turns on a dime, easy to park. Get's good gas mileage, but because the gas tank is so small, you still have to fill it up comparibly to larger cars, but it's so cheap to do so. I wish they had the old gas meter. It shows you by increments and I never have been able to figure out how long you can go on the empty square, but, just keep it filled up and that won't be a problem. All in all it's a really great little car. Probably not a good car for an overly shy person, because you get lot's of looks, especially smiles. I get at least one compliment every time I drive it. Of cours, I got the "Hot Lava" color and then had an orange scrol design put on both the car doors. It is SO cute and the funny thing is, I get at least as many compliments from men as I do women."

Fantastic car for city driving.

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "MPG, parking, turning, effecient as a 2 seater"

Cons: "no nicnac space, ineffecient int. lighting"

"MPG is 47 with AC off, 38 with Ac on. My driving is 50/50 highway/city. Shortest turning circle in the industry. Negotiating parking lots and making U-turn's are a snap. Adequate power, excellent rear vision, great maneuverability, large front passenger space. With back seat down, very efficient cargo space. Needs better interior lighting, cruise control and center arm rest. Short length makes for extra space in garage."

Just what I was looking for

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, easy to park"

Cons: "Low to the ground, careful what you run over."

"I wanted a small car. Something I could zip around in. Love It. It's not for everyone. My husband wouldn't have it. It's just what I was looking for."

2014 Scion IQ is my idea of a sports car

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "Like a little sports car but at a smaller price"

Cons: "Could use cruise control."

"Not sure why all the bad reviews. I think America just isn't ready for micro cars. I really like my little car. I am 6'2", 195 lbs and it fits me as well as any full size car. It drives sporty - peppy and responsive. Really glad I got this instead of a Smart or Fiat. Too bad Toyota is thinking of ending the car after 2014."

2014 Scion IQ is my idea of a sports car

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Like a little sports car but at a smaller price"

Cons: "Could use cruise control."

Cons: "Too many to list"

"The MPG rating on the sticker was 36/37. The actual for this car is 28/35. No leg room if you are tall. It has no cruise control. The Bluetooth is of very poor sound quality. The doors do not auto lock when you start driving. The seats are very uncomfortable and have no lumbar support. It's an OK car for around town (a small town), but for any out of town trips just forget about it! Do not purchase this car. It depreciated faster than most cars, lost 50% of it's value in less than 2 years. They call it a 3 seater but it is actually a 2 seater just like the Smart car."

My Favorite Car!

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and fun to park"

Cons: "Not enough power"

"After a lot of thought it was time for the Lexus to go. 20 mpg in a 12 year old car that only ran on premium unleaded fuel just didn't add up for me. I almost went and looked at a Smart car when I remembered that Toyota had come out with the Scion IQ last year so I started doing my research. The car magazines were not kind to it saying that it was slow and the CVT transmission didn't ever seem to be in the right gear, etc, etc. I guess maybe Toyota didn't pay enough to advertise in these magazines because they could not have been driving an IQ. One test drive was all it took for me. The car is a ball in town because of its short size and speedy throttle response and holds it own on the Interstates cruising comfortably in the fast lane at 80 and it is not disturbed by the wake coming from tractor trailers. The IQ is BIG inside and comfortable for two. Yes it has two back seats but they are better left folded down. Store stuff under them before you fold them down. Toyota designed this car from the insde out first making sure that larger Americans like me could fit in it. I'm 5'11 and 240lbs and it fits me fine. If there were two of me sitting in a Smart Car we'd be rubbing shoulders. Not in the IQ. Plenty of room for 2 full sized adults. With back seats folded flat there is plenty of room in the back for our two Scottish terriers."

First Car I've Liked Enough to Name:Mighty Mouse

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "Low cost, fun to drive, fun to park"

Cons: "No armrest. Poor headlights and poor heater."

Mighty Mouse meets Ford 150

"After a lot of thought it was time for the Lexus to go. 20 mpg in a 12 year old car that only ran on premium unleaded fuel just didn't add up for me. I drove a Smart car in England a couple of years ago but it was too small inside and the semi automatic trans was a pain. I almost went and looked at a Smart car when I remembered that Toyota had come out with the Scion IQ last year so I started doing my research. The car magazines were not kind to it saying that it was slow and the CVT transmission didn't ever seem to be in the right gear, etc, etc. I guess maybe Toyota didn't pay enough to advertise in these magazines because they could not have been driving an IQ. One test drive was all it took for me. The car is a ball in town because of its short size and speedy throttle response. It holds it own in traffic light drag races and on the Interstates cruising comfortably in the fast lane at 80 and it is not disturbed by the wake coming from tractor trailers. The IQ is BIG inside and comfortable for two. Yes it has two back seats but they are better left folded down. Store stuff under them before you fold them down. Toyota designed this car from the inside out first making sure that larger Americans like me could fit in it. I'm 5'11 and 240 lbs and it fits me fine. If there were two of me sitting in a Smart Car we'd be rubbing shoulders. Not in the IQ. Plenty of room for 2 full sized adults. With back seats folded flat there is plenty of room in the back for our two Scottish terriers. First Car I've ever owned that I liked enough to give it a name: Mighty Mouse because it drives and handles above its weight class. 1500 Mile Report This car is the most fun I've had in a car in years! Its getting 33 mpg with me at the helm with my foot to the floor most of time. I bet if I took it easy I could easily get it over 40 mpg. Every time I say to myself that I'm going to take it easy on this tank of gas and see how high I can get the mileage to go to I wind up reverting back to my normal driving style. Maybe it will be different when I grow up!(Current age:60). The IQ is staying rattle free in spite of the pounding it gets on our wonderful PA roads. It's not using any oil and starts up immediately on cold days and defrosters front and rear do a great job. Too bad the exterior rear view mirrors don't have defrosters in them. 12K mile Report See 1500 mile report. All is well, better actually. Installed a TRD Rear Anti Sway Bar and Sylvania headlight bulbs. Forget the Magazines for test results. Here's the real world: 0 to 60MPH ~7 seconds Top Speed 105 mph. Ignition cuts out after that. Speeds over 90 mph require a lot of concentration because the car is short and things happen very fast at high speeds. Here's a short list of what Toyota should add to the IQ: Exterior Rearview Mirror Defrosters Brighter Headlight Bulbs. Replaced mine with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Rear Anti Sway Bar. Go into a turn too fast and get ready for some big time lean. Whoppee!! Toyota has one as a dealer installed option but it should be standard. A glove box. Come on Toyota. There's room for one and the one sore point on this car is there are not enough places to store things up front. The sliding drawer under the passenger seat is a cute idea but its not big enough. Better interior lighting. The dinky light up front is not bright enough for anything and there is no light in the rear. Installing aftermarket battery powered LED lamps is a solution but really....Come on Toyota. The Scion brand is a premium brand and these features should be in the IQ for the price charged."

Mighty Mouse meets Ford 150

Very lovely and Cute

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

"The savings in gas consumption and cost. Comfortable. And no parking problems."

Best

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun"

"I love this little car. It is so much fun to drive and get 35mpg. Lots of room for two people. It is my work car. My friends can't believe that it has so much room and they love to ride in it."

Aweful Gas miliage

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "compact fun to drive"

Cons: "poor gas, poor horsepower, poor customer service"

"When i bought the car it was great! topping almost 50 mpg. That did not last long. i am currently getting 24 mpg and have been for about 8 months ( i have owned that car for 10). the dealership is no help and scion tells me to deal with the dealership. honestly i don't take it out much because my 2004 jeep liberty with 170k miles on it gets better highway then this tiny car. i just wish i wasn't stuck with it for another 2 years."

What the heck is that?

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Cute, great on gas, fun to drive"

Cons: "no glove compartment, no arm rest, no spare tire!"

"Once you get past EVERYBODY staring at you the IQ is really fun to drive. I get 41 miles to a gallon and that's combination highway/country roads and mountains. It rides very nice however if you catch a crack in the road it will throw you. I have to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. I probably should anyway but I'm trying to give you a visual. Not having a glove compartment totally stinks, you don't realize how much you need one until its gone. My husband is 5'11 so on the taller side and even with his seat pushed all the way back he's very uncomforable. There is no trunk.. at all which makes a grocery trip a puzzle. Overall the car is really fun to drive if your a small/short person and maybe have another small short person riding in the front seat with you. Forget trying to go flea marketing or shopping...there's no room. I have this as my only form of transportation and its very inconvient. If this is a play car then by all means its awesome and fun to drive...not to mention its wicked cute:)"

Very Impressed

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Driver and passenger leg and body space."

Cons: "Doesn't come in a manual transmission"

"I was skeptical of how the IQ would handle on snow and ice due to the short wheel base. I live in an area where there is plenty of 'winter driving' hazards but my IQ breezed through the icy, snowy, cold roads just like it was a larger sedan. I average 38 mgp during the winter months(and that is with warming it up before driving) and am at 43+ average with the warmer weather. It is amazing how much I can put in the back hatch too!! I highly recommend this little car if you are looking for an economical way to get around and don't need to always carry a 3rd passenger...Although my 17 and 16 yr old kids do fit in the back seat for short distances, it wouldn't be the greatest comfort for long drives (50+ miles). I never hesitate taking my IQ somewhere."

Fun to drive, responsive transmission, best u-turn

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "Bluetooth, Still 4 Seater"

Cons: "No Central Armrest even optional"

"I live in Las Vegas.I also own VW Jetta 2011.I bought Scion IQ month ago with 5000 miles on it orange color.Very easy car to drive at the trafic,mine does 35 mpg,my style of driving is pretty fast,i get compliments all the time.The feel of the car is really tight.Sporty steering wheel is awesome.I Paid $16000 out of the door price, i was trying to find mini cooper for the same money,and only u can find is a dead animal from Mini with 50000 miles.Nice Mini cost like 20000.People complain that Scion IQ has Engine noise at the startup when you r standing outside.I test drove a lot of Minis so guys try to turn on the engine and stand outside the Mini, it sounds like trash can is turning over, not only at startup.And thats normal because u cant hear that disaster from inside, but anyways Mini is really nice,it depends if you have money to fix it, go for it. Scion = Toyota no questions about reliability, so i dont think about my future visits to the mechanics and for me its important becuse its a second car and i dont want pain from it. Also I am tired from questions about safety, i say go on the youtube and check it out. The funny thing ,most of them from Mini owners.:)))"

fat man lil car

By on Friday, November 23, 2012

Pros: "can turn around anywere"

Cons: "should be faster than 105mph"

"cool looking fun to drive anywere i had my car about 5 months . great on gas handles pretty good . i also did some upgrades like the cold air filter adds 3/5 more mpg and the 2 12inch infinity subwoofers give it a great stereo sound to cover the road noise. did i also mention im 6ft 400lbs and i fit just fine and comfy . got about 10,000 miles already waiting for snow to fall and see how much fun im gunna have"

Surprised By The Pep!!

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Peppy! Very Sporty!! Super Affordable!!"

Cons: "Wish There Was More Room For Passengers"

"Oh my goodness!! I test drove one of these cuties last week and I am in the process of buying one! It handles well and it has lots of pep. I have a larger Toyota (SUV) and my larger vehicle takes longer to get up and go than this little vehicle. The gas mileage is a huge deciding factor for me. Going from what I am currently getting (14 MPG) to close to 40 MPG is going to be a huge savings. I have no doubts regarding the quality of anything made from Toyota. I have owned Toyota my entire life and would not own anything else. The longevity and dependability of Scion and Toyota is a comfort. The safety airbags are great too! More airbags in this car than in my SUV. The warranty is great too! Can't wait for my little car to come in so that I can drive it home! Small is "in" and big is out!!!"

Happy

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Mileage, Conversation Starter"

Cons: "No Center Armrest, No cruise."

"Im mid 50s, 6 foot and better than 200 lbs and this car fits me fine! I've never had a car that was more fun to drive! People watch me get out of it, and immediately walk over and look at the inside of the car. I can see it on their face. You got out of that? Kids are grown up and gone, Just me, the wife, and a big old dog. We have a new Subaru Forester as well. I figured we'd take the Forester on our weekend getaways, but almost always take the IQ. I put the rear seats down the day I bought it. So, every morning, I open the rear hatch, toss my briefcase in the back, and drive to work. I pay zero attention to the economy guage, I just drive the way I want to. The average MPG is almost always 35, and, if we go for a lazy cruise into the mountains, sometimes it averages 37 MPG. Only thing its missing is a center armrest and cruise. I suppose those will be available soon."

Smart Choice for a day to day car!!!

By on Monday, August 06, 2012

Pros: "It is all I expected it to be and more"

Cons: "I wish it came in Manual Transmission."

"Last November I was in London and saw the Cygnet [Aston Martin's version] at Harrod's Men's Dept. Ask if I could have that unit shipped and they laughed. Last February, we went to Chicago Auto Show and saw this car at the Scion Exhibit. Immediately captured my attention since we were looking for a day to day car to run errands, and save mileage in the sports car. So we went in for a drive test, researched the unit extensively online and biught one in Apil 23, 2012. Took it on a road trip to Utah from Chicago with the Dog and luggage, the three of us. Our Dog, 40 lbs SCWT. We had a great time and we only spent around 220 on gas!!!!! Overall, this is an amazing little car. Performs very well and it is roomy inside. I like my alloy wheels, and rear spoiler plus a couple more interior accessories. Before passing judgement on the car, go for a test drive. And bring some friends along for the ride."

PERFECT BROOKLYN CAR.

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

"This car has changed my life. I NEVER have to worry about finding street parking! It's UNBELIEVABLE. Plus it's great on gas. This is THE perfect city car - whether driving in the city or on the Turnpike. It's not small on the inside. And it's surprisingly peppy -- way more solid than I expected. My former cars were Volvos and I'm very picky. This is a great vehicle. It's not luxe per se, but it's a remarkable piece of engineering. It's like a whole new species of transportation - somewhere between a full-sized car and a Vespa."

Good fun at 33 mpg

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun,roomy up front,good footing at hwy speeds"

Cons: "Noise level on harsh roads"

"Coming up on three months and 2500 miles Car performs great in the flats with little reaction from on coming trucks. Could use better insulating for the cabin due to noise level on rough roads. Be it buzzen about town or zipping out on the interstate it delivers 33mpg."

I have the best iQ in town!

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "small sexy car, great gas saver, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Needs a better headlamp inside the car"

Out with the old...In with the New

"I absolutly love my new Scion iQ! My reasoning for buy this awsome car was sourly based on the size and gas mileage! After I test drove it for the first time I fell in love! The EPA was 37 but when driving to work today my average was 47.9. Can't beat that! I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a small compact car, that is fun to drive, will save you on gas, some may call is sexy, but overall it is one great car!"

Out with the old...In with the New