2014 Scion FR-S Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $25,233 - $25,676.

10/7.9

Based on 21 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

can be a fun car,poor build though

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "great handling,head turner"

Cons: "poor build quality,no low-end"

"its a fun car to drive. not a street rod,you'll get embarrassed,this car has no low-end torque.Great handling though,fun for a curvy road. My biggest complaint with my car is the build quality. Both door panels rattle, rear deck rattles,trunk lid rattles, rear window vibrates on rough roads nose and hood panels do not fit properly at seal resulting in an ongoing corrosion problem I'm fighting with. Driver airbag cover is not centered on wheel. moisture gets inside door panels(i.e roll the windows up and down 2 days after a rain and the windows will be wet) can't be good for any door electrical components. mechanically I've had fuel pump issues and ecu problems My car is 1 and 1/2 years old. MY advice if you're looking to buy, go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure all service bulletins are C/W"

best car everrr

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"i love my frs =)"

Best handling car I have ever driven.

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "almost everything"

Cons: "tail light condensation (very common problem)"

"Extremely good car, with the exception of the usual condensation in the tail lamps. There are cheap fixes for this available on the interwebs though. The handling and balance of this car is amazing. Just driving "normally", you won't have to learn how to drive the car. However, driving competitively or agressive street driving requires one to shift around 7300 rpm. Takes some getting used to, but its a lot of fun."

Handles beautifully...quick and flexible!

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "roller skate on ice/snow"

"I love this little sports car...beautiful design and great handling, except on snow and ice. At that point, even with the "snow" button pressed, this great little car turns into a roller skate! I've added 180 lbs. of sand bags to the trunk to help, but results are not more than minimal. Other issue is climbing out of the glove-like seats...must be an agile person. I would recommend this for a three- season driver for a younger person."

First car that warranted me buying new!

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

"I have had literally over 100 used cars (went through the phase of buying and selling rust free classics out here in Arizona). My favorites have been the Datsun 240z's and early Miatas. I have to say this if you took the best parts of both cars, coupled it with some modern technology, you'd have the Scion FRS. I bought the 10th anniversary edition as I loved the color and some of the little options. Anyway, absolutely perfect car and with the seats folding down it has surprising trunk capacity. Thank you Toyota/Scion, you created a modern sports car waiting to be crowned a classic. Just please don't make too many of them... lol I like being unique."

1990s Technology in a 2010s sports car

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive; Cheap; Fast; Good MPG; Handles well"

Cons: "Poor audio system; NO modern technology"

"This car is fun to drive, sporty, and quick. A pleasure to drive. My friend's 2002 Civic however, has more technology in it than my FR-S. No steering wheel controls for the audio system. The voice command doesn't work well (relies on your phone's voice command if it has one). Speakers sound like they're about to blow at low volume and the EQ adjustments are better on my college clock-radio. If you just want to drive, get this car. If you like modern technology... go for ANYTHING else built after 2000."

A joy to Drive One !

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun drive, brilliant handling, 29mpg combined !!"

Cons: "Back seat is a joke, bad interior design"

"When I got my first job, I started hunting for a sports car that I can afford, yet without compromising too much on quality. I test drove almost all the cars in the market in my price range( around 30K). I drove Genesis, Camaro, Miata, 370Z( I liked that the best but it was over my budget). Finally I decided on FR-S becuase of the following:- 1. Brilliant Handling, low Center of gravity. You won't realize how easy it is to make those turns at 65-70mph that you can never make in other cars. It sits low and sticks to the ground. 2.For a sports cars, and 200 hp , my combined gas mileage is 29.5MPG ! That is really impressive when compared to even a Miata, leave alone other cars like Camaro. 3. It is very comfortable to sit in for long drives. 4.Huge trunk space for a car like this and gets bigger if you fold the back seats. ( Back seats are a joke !, don't be fooled by it !) 5. Spare tire, miata doesn't have it. Bottom line is, if you drive one of these, you will know what I am talking about, and please buy a stick shift, transmission is so smooth. My cousin who never drove one, picked it up in 7 days !! P.S.:- You can really push this car, I drove it 120mph without feeling any discomfort or turbulence Have Fun !"

FR-S 10th anniversary is even better

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "delivers everything it promises"

Cons: "bespoke (nav) is a much too expensive upgrade"

"Picked up a manual 10th anniversary. This car is awesome. The 10th has a lot of little extras that make a very good car GREAT! I strongly suggest you consider an FR-S if you enjoy driving and if at all possible, the 10th. It isn't much more, has all the right things with nothing really frivolous. The dealers will resist discounting but I was able to get mine for a little less than invoice using one of the pricing tools, USAA I think it was. Michael 1749/2500"

It will make you smile!!

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Good value, fun to drive, good MPG"

Cons: "Fuel guage hard to read"

"Fun to drive. Handles great. A classic sports car! Just enough power. Not a family car. I love it!"

Fun to drive short distances.

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Sporty style, great handleing, excellent gas MPG"

Cons: "Not many, stiff ride"

"This car is great fun to drive. But, only short distances less than 25 miles. Suspension is pretty stiff so every little imperfection in the road is transferred to the driver. Also, since the vehicle is so close to the ground, getting in and out can be difficult. Gas mileage is great. Sound system is awesome. A little under powered at low revs. But, impressive a 6,000-7,000 RPM. Have had the car about 10 months. Time to find something more comfortable."

Exactly how I want a car to be.

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Exterior, I'd give 99 out of 100. -1 for the tail light design. The car is very small, so it's easy to park. The car and the seat are very low and the seating position needs to be set differently from the regular car, which I like. The interior design is very simple. It feels like I'm back in the 90s, which I feel more comfortable than the 21 century design interior. The engine is noisy and the exhaust is quiet. The suspension is stiffer than the normal cars, but softer than sports cars. Steering is weighed nicely. The shifter feel is very satisfying. I like the useless rear seats. Small enough to prevent me from being the driver when there are more than one other passenger. Big enough to squeeze in adults for an emergency short trips. Trunk space is just enough. Height is pretty low, but the depth is good. Fuel economy is amazing for this type of car. I'm getting 30 mpg from 1/2 city and 1/2 highway drives. The car feels slower than it really is because it's not fast unless you go above 5000 rpm, but I enjoy driving slow car fast. I get to step on it without going too fast. Once in a while when I want to feel the power, I just can rev it up to above 5000 rpm. Now, the handling is just amazing. I never got to even screech the tires yet because when I think it's too fast for the turn, it's still nothing for this car. All of this for $25k. I appreciate Toyota and Subaru."

Awesome vehicle! A visceral driving experience!

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "Absolute most bang for the buck!"

Cons: "Radio not intuitive. Could use heated mirrors."

"Aside from motorcycling, this is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! I love driving it so much that I called TireRack & ordered 4 studded snow tires mounted on steel wheels. Great fun on the ice! Had to re-initialize a power window after it stuck to the gasket in freezing temperatures, but that was easy enough once the technician told me what to do. I'm fifty-nine and have not enjoyed any vehicle as much. It's like driving a Lotus Elise with more comfortable seats and better weather protection. Rear-quarter blind spot is no worse than any other sport coupe and not as bad as the convertibles with the top up."

A Thing of Beauty

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Good looks. Fun drive. Bargain Price."

Cons: "Nothing jumps out at me yet"

"Can't get over how enjoyable and how beautiful this car is....and what a bargain. I look forward to many fun drives. This car is destined to become a classic."

Drive one

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Great driver, quick, responsive, simple, fun, sexy"

Cons: "Blind spots, fog lights, price tag"

Moments before driving it off the showroom floor.

"If you read or watch reviews about this car, all the good things you hear about it are absolutely true. It's extremely nimble, hugs corners, and fantastically responsive. People always ask me, "Is it fast?" No. But, 'quick' would be more accurate, by any measure. Shifting is tight, solid. Steering is just as good. For drivers who understand driving, the FR-S is very much an extension of oneself-- a refreshing feeling, since most modern vehicles lack a real connection with the driver. Its shortcomings are few: Virtually no blind-spot visibility. The rear windows are narrow, and pillars, wide. Luckily the mirrors provide good range, and adjusted properly, my blind spots are confidently covered. Back seat is hardly practical. However, if you're looking to buy a sports car and actually plan on using the back seat, you should reconsider. Emergency situations only. A weighted shifter/shift knob would be nice. Finally, if you're conflicted about the difference between the FR-S and the BRZ, the FR-S has slightly tweaked suspension, which makes it a better performer at a lower cost. The BRZ has options available for luxury features and accessories, but base model is more expensive. I like it simple and straightforward. And the Scion FR-S delivers that better than anything else out there. If you've ever driven a Honda S2000, the feel is similar. For some strange reason, pictures and videos don't really seem to make this car look as stunning as it does in person."

Moments before driving it off the showroom floor.

I love this car

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

"I read about the FR-S in 08 and forgot all about it tell I seen it two weeks ago and I went straight out and bought one!!Let me tell you that you cant go wrong if your looking for a car under 29K. 200hr are great but I can't wait to put a supercharger on it and HKS. But even if you don't it's still a great car. I was looking at getting a Dodge Challenger Hemi or an Audi TT for sometime but your looking at 37k to 42K. And don't forget about all the little add-ons, gap insurence, lowjack, ext...price keeps going up. For the FR-S after all the add-ons I was at $29,540.00. You can't beat that!! I have lots of extra$$ for my own UP-Grades."

Great Bang for Buck Rwd Sporty Car !!

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Crisp steering, great exotic look for $25k car!!"

Cons: "Always could use more Power, we all want Faster :)"

Very low profile, makes the STi seem BIG!

"This car is soo balanced, precise steering and handling like no other! Prior seemed like Miata/S2000/370Z/Genesis were the only Rwd Sporty cars that weren't an insane Price! This car has more headroom then expected! Enough room for a helmet/people 6' or so. Seats A+ !! Backseats fold down and can haul 4 wheels/tires no prob- I tested it! Very bolstered and nicer than all my prior WRX/STI's I have owned. Great mpg I see 27mpg city/hwy mix and everything fit/finish/layout makes sense! I upgraded the tires to Hankook RS3 140 treadwear tire and this thing STICKS!! The car is said to be one of the Lowest Center of Gravity production cars, when matched w/ sticky tires it is like a roller coaster through the Autocross! It Rocks!! :) Best handling car I have owned by far!! Only complaint is want for more power esp if you have had turbo cars prior, spoils a person."

Very low profile, makes the STi seem BIG!

Love it.

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "Looks, handling, ride, gas mileage, balance"

Cons: "Audio head unit and that's about it."

"I love just about everything about this car. It's is so far reliable, relatively quick, very good looking, and it handles amazingly. I would recommend to anyone who wants a sports car that is fun to drive and gets awesome gas mileage!"

My Number One Choice. There are some Cons.

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Great Price, Fun to Drive, Nice Exterior."

Cons: "Needs Spoiler, Premium Gas, Small Back Seats."

"This is my choice over the Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec. Obviously its the most fun drive. I love the small steering wheel and ground clearance. The Front of the car is very stylish, but the back needs a spoiler like the Subaru BRZ. It would be very helpful if the back seats had some more space. I wish the manual had the same mpg as the auto. Its great on the track and as a road car. It's the best Toyota since the 2000 GT. Epic. I need it."

Awesome Car

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "speeding tickets (2 already)"

"I received one of the first; I have had trouble finding someone reliable to modify the car. One of the best parts about it is the fun to drive. Other then that I just wish it had a little more power and the TRD parts available via JDM were in the USA. But soon enough :)"

Great Buy!

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable Seats, Great handling and styling"

Cons: "Should only seat two."

FR-S Chillin on the Beach

"Just fun to drive. Handles great, accelerates really well especially considering it has 200 hp. The front seats are really comfortable. Dont be fooled, its not made for more than 2 people. Nobody, not even children, should sit in the back. And the material of the seats in the back is really cheap, almost like felt. Also, the manual transmission is much more fun to drive than the automatic (test drove the automatic first, but opted to buy the manual). Overall, Amazing car that is well worth the money spent."

FR-S Chillin on the Beach

LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "good price, fun to drive, baller car"

Cons: "None, i love it."

"Waited for this car to come out for a long time, I love it, It handles like a dream, the seats are insanely comfortble. I love everything about this car. the price isnt bad for the car. the only thing that i dont like is the Scion badges. this makes an awesome drift car."

See if you qualify for