1995 Saab 900

8.3

Based on 158 Ratings for the 1994 - 1998 models.

Sturdy, Sporty, Safe and reliable

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reason: Leaving the country for 3 years

Pros: "FUN!, safe, very reliable!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair at dealerships, go local, DYI"

"My second Saab, the first was an '86 900 - non turbo lasted "only" 330,000 miles. My '98 900SE Coupe lasted over 340,000 miles before being written off last week after being rear-ended and pushed into the ditch and rocks and trees. The car was AMAZING! Sturdy, safe and incredibly reliable. I made a few mods, enlarged the air intake, installed a stainless steel exhaust system, and put in a manual boost override to improve turbo spool-up. Dropped the suspension an inch, put on Koni shocks and a sturdier sway bar and 17 inch rims with 215x17-45 tires Repairs were few and far between -- new brakes shoes on the front about every 120,000 miles - (NEVER turn the disks LOL.) one clutch at about 225,000 miles, water pump at about 230,000, a new, larger capacity alternator at about 290,000 and new steering bushings at 310,000 miles. Turbocharger was original and still operating well at 340,000 miles Oil was changed (full synthetic every 10,000 miles. With the increased engine output and the suspension mods, the car was lively, very fast off the mark, and had excellent road-holding. Excellent road-holding, brakes and acceleration made for a very safe and responsive car. The car was always garaged, washed and often enough to keep salt and road grime to a minimum -- and had no rust after 16 years and 340,000 miles. The leather interior was cleaned and leather treatment applied about every 3 - 4 years. Seats were original and not torn or split at 340,000 miles -- not even the driver's seat!"

First manual car

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Safe, strong, clean"

Cons: "No cup holders in mine lol"

"This is my second car as I am 16. I drove automatic before and hated it, I bought a stick car because I've always wanted to learn and are more dependable to an extent, I love how it tells you when to shift and how airplane like the interior is, so much went into this car on cosmetics it's very well built, and to speak of the engine the stock turbo is amazing, it dusted my friends civic. I am very satisfied but I must say dependability is a little low in my experience, i had to replace the shifting pin the first day I had it..$140 for the part plus labor. I will also have to replace the hatch lining because of a hole rusted through the spare tire slot, it's a less than 100 dollar cost if we do it ourselves, I hope my views on this change, all in all I love my Saab, much better than the sorry excuse of a sunfire I had;p, great car inside and out."

i really enjoy driving this car.

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Its a great first car.s"

Has always been a good car

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "holds it's valve, quick looks good"

Cons: "v6 a little more in gas"

"I have the 96 Saab 900 SE convertible (v6), I bought the car from someone who did not take care of the maintenance on it ...therefore, timing belt broke, bent the exhaust valves. $2500 at a shop...good thing I am a mechanic. I redid the topend on it 21/2 years ago and not one problem out of it since, most reliable car I've owned and the style hangs in even with the newer cars."

Saab's Big Hit

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Durability, longevity, styling, comfort"

Cons: "Specialty shop bills, aftermarket support sketchy"

"The mid 90's were the golden age of automobiles, as at the same time certain technologies became mature and perfected, body styling was radically freshened, and widespread cost-cutting not yet in effect. This Saab is a great example, with an enduring beauty to the body, a bulletproof I4, and excellent seats/cabin. Reliability is not bad. I'll speak from experience and avoid generalizations. My breakdowns are just a fuel pump (my fault, neglected filter) and clutch cable failure (known issue, carry a spare. 8 years on mine now, maybe problem is fixed). ORIGINAL water pump, alternator, and timing chain - you save much money because you don't need these often-prescribed preemptive maintenence jobs! Other facts: 32 MPG total for me. Huge trunk, wagon-like load bay. Paint never faded under Carolina sun! MPG computer actually correct, and speedo dead accurate! I understand these cars sell very cheaply now...gotta say it's a fantastic value if you snag a good one. You can try general mechanics if you can convince them to take it on, it's just a basic 4cyl, 5sp, OBD1, FWD sedan when it comes down to it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Saab 900 near Honolulu. See local deals