2008 Saab 9-5

7.4

Based on 412 Ratings for the 1999 - 2009 models.

7.6/10
    7.4/10

By on Thursday, October 04, 2007

"This car is a GREAT car for the money. A lot of people probably rated this car poorly because they hare poor reliability. Well I can tell you my car has 100% uptime and I've done any work needed myself. You have to take care of it just like any car and make sure you put the right oil in and get the crankcase ventilation update to make sure the car runs for a long time. I love this car to pieces, it's comfortable, fast, handles well after I replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY THE WAY). It also has a very understated look to it, no one would have any idea that it would be any competition at all. In the snow it does SURPRISINGLY well, the front wheel drive really makes this car a dream in the snow, you don't have the problem of the back end ever kicking out in a corner if you give it gas like you would in a AWD or RWD car. The FWD also gives the car great mileage, best I've ever seen in a car this size. At 75 mph I get 35 MPG almost every trip! Pretty impressive for a car that weighs 3500 lbs! The reason I rated performance a 4 is because the FWD does pose a problem from a stand still, I'd be silly to think otherwise. But once you get going, there really aren't many stock cars in it's class that can keep up, especially on the freeway. Overall, great car for the money, safe, fast, very nice interior, reliable if you take care of it<-! (Only use fully synthetic 0w or 5w-40 motor oil), and great all season car. Test drive one of these and you'll fall in love! :-)"

Saab Story

By on Sunday, July 04, 2010

"I bascially like SAABs (I previously owned a '85 900T for over 17 years) and I currently have 85,000k miles on my 2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5spd. man, Eibach lowered springs, Bilstein sport shocks, K&Ns). and the 9-5 Aero is a very enjoyable car to drive. The handling, performance, comfort and utilitarian package makes it a very good family sedan with a sporting flair. It is great for long distance drives and can easily cruise at 75-85 mph (or faster) all day in great comfort and control. The car has a roomy passenger compartment and a spacious, flat trunk that makes long travel a breeze. But over the years, this is not been a very reliable car and the 2000 model year is very problematic, leading to unexpected failures and expensive repairs. And please note that my car is very well maintained and I consider these failures due to poor design, bad implementation, marginal parts or all of the above. Here's list of some of the problems that required replacement/repair (total repair bills run in the thousands): 1. Direct Iginition Module (SAAB grudgingly finally had a recall after I already made the repair, and they took forever to reimburse me). 2. Throttle Body failure (car will barely run and go into "Limp Home mode"). 3. Brake Master cylinder (pedal to the floor). 4. AC Compressor (failed on a vacation trip in 103 degree heat wave). 5. Serpentaine Drive Belt/pulleys (failed in 30k miles after maintainence replacement). 6. Power Streering Hose failure. 7. Heater By pass valve failure (huge coolant leak). Annoyance List: 1 Theft Alarm replacement warning (when the back up batterey runs low in the sealed alarm module, the alarm will go off inadvertantly at ANY time as a friendly reminder; and that can mean 2a in the morning. The battereies are not replacable and the entire module needs to be replaced. Very stupid design Saab/GM). 2. H7 headlight bulbs burn out at an alarming rate and I do not even run them in the daylight mode. Plan to buy extra bulbs by the dozen. There are electrical gremlins. 3. SID (display) pixels die a quick death (and the module should be replaced). I've had it repaired but it is going out again. 4. Oil consumption (1 qt. M1 every 1200 mi), I'm afraid to find out where it is going. Looking back, this has not been a good value nor a good experience. Underdelivering on the reliability, a high cost of ownership and overall a very poor value. I regret my purchase and I could in no way endorse the 2000 9-5. Happily, SAAB's marraige to GM is over, and they can finds their way back to their core values and start building great cars again."

Saab Story

By on Monday, November 24, 2008

""You bought this car?" I did. "This is the kind of car you lease." Oh. That was the body shop owner's advice. He was right. This is our third Saab, each one had its breaking point. They got better. This was our best one. I have a Japanese car that is 12 years old and has cost me maybe an 1/8 of what it has cost me to keep my 6 year old Saab. I love the way the Saab drives. I like the power. The handling could be more agile - but it's fine. The interior quality is fair. The leather is inferior to similarly priced cars. The plastic is not bad, but I have had to replace the plastic shell on the driver's seat that houses the seat's adjustments. And it's breaking again. Unless you are a mechanic or know one who can service the car cheaply, this is the time to give it up and buy something else. I have had an abundance of repairs in the last year - whose expenses are adding up to a tidy sum - and I have one ahead that is making me sigh. Do I spend the $2k and wait for the next repair or do I take the same money and make a down payment on something else?"

Solid, safe, joy to drive

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

"I bought the car used with plenty of miles but after a few relatively minor repairs and TLC, the car has been fun to drive, safe and reliable. People say that Saab's are "quirky". Apart from the unusual location of the start key, I don't see what's quirky at all. It's a solid and comfortable car. It handles exceptionally well, with great turbo boost when I need it. My experience was so good, I later bought two others, all the same model but later years, without any regrets."

IT HAS GROWN ON ME

By on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, room and engineering"

Cons: "low end power could be better (I know it's a small I4 with a turbo)"

"I bought the car, a 2003 manual Aero sedan in August of 2006 with 24K miles. I have now had it for 5 years and about 50K miles. Originally I expected to keep it a couple of years and flip it but college expenes for kids and other issues kept the car in my garage. It has developed from a passable alternative to the BMW, Porsche and multiple alfas to a very comfortable and usable car. I have been overmaintaining the car with oil and fluid changes as I know that the model has a tendency to sludge up if synthethic is not used and changed frequently. I have improved the handling most recently by replacing front and rear bushings and all four shocks/struts with KONI FSD (Great product so far). The gas mileage is outstanding for the size car and power. There have been relatively few problems and until April, had been covered under a 4 year extended warranty. I have been spending some money recently mostly on upgrades and replacement items, like the suspension but I also dropped the sump and made sure it was cleaned our along with the screen of any sludge. The clutch was replaced at 50K which I thought was early so I don't know how the prior owner drove the car although I suspect he/she might not have had alot of experience with a manual transmission. There is no question that if you look to find one (post 2004 are best since the PCV problem giving rise to sludge was fixed (I had the upgrade installed this year in the car) although some may not like the cosmetic changes after 2006. Maintenance is essential and so is prior owner history. Otherwise. the car seem to be able to run well and within little problem. My only reason for not recommending it higher is the difficulty in finding the right car with the right history. You also have to be the type of person willing to maintain a high mileage car or you could be financially and emotionally drained by repairs from items that simply may wear out."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Saab 9-5 near Honolulu. See local deals