2003 Saab 9-5

7.4

Based on 412 Ratings for the 1999 - 2009 models.

7.6/10
    7.4/10

Saab Story

By on Monday, November 24, 2008

""You bought this car?" I did. "This is the kind of car you lease." Oh. That was the body shop owner's advice. He was right. This is our third Saab, each one had its breaking point. They got better. This was our best one. I have a Japanese car that is 12 years old and has cost me maybe an 1/8 of what it has cost me to keep my 6 year old Saab. I love the way the Saab drives. I like the power. The handling could be more agile - but it's fine. The interior quality is fair. The leather is inferior to similarly priced cars. The plastic is not bad, but I have had to replace the plastic shell on the driver's seat that houses the seat's adjustments. And it's breaking again. Unless you are a mechanic or know one who can service the car cheaply, this is the time to give it up and buy something else. I have had an abundance of repairs in the last year - whose expenses are adding up to a tidy sum - and I have one ahead that is making me sigh. Do I spend the $2k and wait for the next repair or do I take the same money and make a down payment on something else?"

IT HAS GROWN ON ME

By on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, room and engineering"

Cons: "low end power could be better (I know it's a small I4 with a turbo)"

"I bought the car, a 2003 manual Aero sedan in August of 2006 with 24K miles. I have now had it for 5 years and about 50K miles. Originally I expected to keep it a couple of years and flip it but college expenes for kids and other issues kept the car in my garage. It has developed from a passable alternative to the BMW, Porsche and multiple alfas to a very comfortable and usable car. I have been overmaintaining the car with oil and fluid changes as I know that the model has a tendency to sludge up if synthethic is not used and changed frequently. I have improved the handling most recently by replacing front and rear bushings and all four shocks/struts with KONI FSD (Great product so far). The gas mileage is outstanding for the size car and power. There have been relatively few problems and until April, had been covered under a 4 year extended warranty. I have been spending some money recently mostly on upgrades and replacement items, like the suspension but I also dropped the sump and made sure it was cleaned our along with the screen of any sludge. The clutch was replaced at 50K which I thought was early so I don't know how the prior owner drove the car although I suspect he/she might not have had alot of experience with a manual transmission. There is no question that if you look to find one (post 2004 are best since the PCV problem giving rise to sludge was fixed (I had the upgrade installed this year in the car) although some may not like the cosmetic changes after 2006. Maintenance is essential and so is prior owner history. Otherwise. the car seem to be able to run well and within little problem. My only reason for not recommending it higher is the difficulty in finding the right car with the right history. You also have to be the type of person willing to maintain a high mileage car or you could be financially and emotionally drained by repairs from items that simply may wear out."

Dependable, safe, high performance sedan

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"2002 9-5 Linear has been a very reliable car. I commute ~ 90 miles/day and average ~24-25 miles/gal (50% highway; 50% city). Fast turbo, excellent handling. Rims are a bit soft. No major problems to date. I plan to take this one for another 100K+ miles. Other 9-5 owners that use the same Saab mechanic that I use have run these for over 300 K miles and then traded in for another 9-5. Tire wear has exceeded 60,000 per set - last set went for 80,000 miles. Change oil and rotate tires every 5K."

Wonderful Car if you take care of the oil issue

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "great handling great excelleration comfort"

Cons: "millage is 24-30 oil issue could have junked it"

"I have always loved the SAAB cars. However after i purchased this one, I discovered a serious problem with the oil screen. After driving for a year replacing just the fuel pump, I took down the oil pan and discovered what they were talking about. The convert ions to fix this had been done on the car (not recorded) but there was still gunky issues with the oil pan and screen, not too bad but I had no idea what might have been used before me. after cleaning it all up and replacing the upper motor mount, I now use only top grade synthetic and change every 5,000. I love this car it handles great, good exceleration and deluxe comfort. too bad my wife drives it. HA !"

Maybe the best car I've ever owned.

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great MPG (see my review), impressive ride for a small car, nice creature comforts"

Cons: "Poor visibility when backing and front seat arm rests are not real comfy."

"Who says Germans are the best engineers? This car has a fabulous combination of luxury, economy, utility and sporty features without any of the quirks typical of other Euro cars. I love the overall design and performance of this car. I have used (and LOVE) all four driving modes: normal, winter, sport and manual. [Pure engineering genius!] I get much better MPG than average: 30 MPG highway and around 20 MPG city. (Good maintenance and driving habits?) The only complaints I have are the rather significant amount of rear blind spots and the poorly positioned front seat arm rests. Overall: Saabs are pricey, but worth it. Get an extended warranty, though. It will pay for itself with just one semi-major repair. After owning this Saab for the past 18 months, I don't want to drive anything but a Saab."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Saab 9-5 near Honolulu. See local deals