2002 Saab 9-3

7.9

Based on 235 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

Shop Job; Economic; Enjoyable

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Reason: Downsized to a one-car family; Honda more reliable.

Pros: "Enjoyable; Economical; Unique/Quirky; Capacious"

Cons: "Upkeep; Cost of Parts"

"Caveat to this entire post: Saab was known for its enthusiasts (pejoratively called 'Snaabs'). I am a Snaab, yes; I am also a pragmatist and realist. The reality is: Saab, as a company, is no more. This will likely translate to a drastically declining price of obtaining a Saab; this will likely translate as a drastically increasing price of upkeep on you Saab. Bottom line: Saabs need work. Not major overhauls (driving chain in lieu of a belt; bullet-proof engines, turbos, and transmissions; sturdy, yet lightweight frame), mind, but they will still require upkeep. Comparable to any other European entry-level executive auto, Saabs were pioneers in engineering. They were highly fuel efficient: my 2002 9-3, 4-door, SE [non-Viggen] hatch-back boasted 27 commuting, 32-34 on long road. They were sporty: standard of 205hp, tight handling. They were well advanced: the internal computer communicates with you every step of the way. This 'communication' is often done in the form of the check-engine light. The internal electrical system of most Saabs was such that the check-engine comes on. Often. Do not fool yourself: you will need to replace chips, electrical parts, and other parts. Because Saab is no longer in business, we have seen the nadir on prices; upkeep on your Saab will only get more expensive from here on out. This is why I rated the car where I did, and why I would not likely recommend purchasing one – as a Snaab. If Saab were still in business, I would own no other platform of vehicle. Add to this that I would not own a post-2002, GM-owned/operated Saab (quality of parts, design, and reliability took a nose dive under GM oversight). When you own a Saab, do NOT use/trust/listen to anyone who offers you non-OEM parts. Aftermarket parts are not worth your money, time, and potential upset to supporting devices. When you MAF goes – and it WILL go – spend the extra money to get an OEM piece. Your mechanic may say that there is an aftermarket piece that may work. If your mechanic suggests/strong-arms you into that choice: find a new mechanic."

Great used car purchase

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel mileage safety ratings and fun"

Cons: "Cup holder"

"Purchased used from private owner...under kbb value. Needed some small things, typical for used car purchase...breaks, oil, ect... Mileage average is 23 to 24 in mixed driving. Car rides good for size and is very solid feeling. We love the convertible. Some outside noise, but that is to be expected in a drop top. People are afraid of these cars...we don't know why...do your homework and talk to a Saab mechanic. Yes they are still out there. These are great cars...our mechanic said with proper maintenance he has seen them well over 350k and some close to 500,000 miles.."

Very Good Reliable Vehicle

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, Reliability, Turbo is FUN"

Cons: "No Useful Cup Holders :-("

"I purchased my 9-3 in August of 2011 with around 154000 miles. Now in April 2012 I have put almost 20000 additional miles on it and have had no problems. I change the oil regularly with synthetic oil, changed the plugs once (super easy to work on), replaced a headlight and bettery, and patched the muffler when I bought the car, aside from that I have not done anything to it. With over 175,000 miles on the car it is holding up extremely well. Power and acceleration are still good and everything in the vehicle works as it should and I am getting an average of 29 mpg on highway trips! I think soon I will have to have the clutch adjusted but I don't know if it was ever replaced in its 175000 miles. Baring any accident or theft, I can easily see this car lasting me another 25-30000 miles, right around the 210 mark. Very large trunk, I am very tall and still manage to fit comfortably in the driver seat, and interesting (but quirky) controls."

OMGosh!!!!

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

Pros: "Everything! Find out for yourself!!"

Cons: "The parts are hard to find? No they aren't!! LOL!"

"Truthfully, besides the fact that SAAB went out of business, if you ever have a technical problem or an electrical problem you can go to foreign car mechanic or a BMW mechanic. Besides that.. this is the best car I have ever had! It's super fast and it feels like your cruising so be very careful with speeding. You have to be a great driver the handle this baby. I hit the curves so smoothly at 70. The brakes are fantastic! When it comes to maintenance parts new or even used are good. With all of my cars, even this one, I go to Lacey's Used Auto Parts in Newark, NJ. I choose them over Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, and sometimes even my mechanic. I watch them collect the parts and clean them to prepare them for my car. Anyway, I love this car!!"

Cool convertible

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Luxury car with class and a little different"

Cons: "Saab has gone out of business"

"This car is great for any weather. The convertible top down it looks great and feels great. Top up and it is quiet as a sedan with good AC and heat system. The leather upholstery is comfortable and rich looking. Performance and acceleration are amazing for a 2 liter car. Must be the turbo!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Saab 9-3 near Honolulu. See local deals