• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2012 Ram 3500 Mega Cab

Based on 21 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Best P/U truck I've ever owned. 2012 Laramie

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Great price, no EGR fluid, nice interior"

"At 7500 miles my average mpg is 15.2 for city driving.I've owned three Chevy's and three Fords and now the third Dodge/Ram. This is a crewcab SB 2wd Laramie and pulls my 5th wheel effortlessly."

awesome

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "power, fuel mileage, creature comforts"

Cons: "needs better nav that can avoid low bridges"

"I pull a 39 ft fifth wheel. Fifth wheel prep group and super glide hitch amazing. Empty fuel mileage can reach 24mpg. Pulling 12000 lbs about 11mpg. Only negative my wife's nav system in her new E class mercedes is slightly better. She is jealous of my interior amenities"

best dodge diesel I owed yet ...Have had 6 others

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive comfort comfort comfort.."

Cons: "better mpg 17 hwy...."

"Best driving most comfort drives like a half ton..Best usable power for all my needs do pull a car hauler for my show cars....Also quiet on the highway almost no road noise...Best looking Dodge ram I have owned....800 ft pounds of torque who needs any more good dose of synthetic oil and filter and a K and N in the air box and forget about not pulling anything you can hook up to..Last great brakes and engine brake that works like a big rig...All MOPAR Great efforts!,,Best effort of the other models I ordered new, 99,2003,2005,2007,2009. All diesel 4x4 dodges.."

First Dually, very nice

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "It's a beast"

Cons: "As always - playing games with the dealer."

"An ST with upgrades. Dually, Crew cab, 4x4, Cummins, Auto. It pulls my 35' 5th wheel (and boat) with ease and stability. Took a bit of getting used to backing the boat down the ramp with a dually. Does good around town, still working on parking spaces. Really shines taking the family anywhere or picking up the kids after practice. The crew cab is huge and comfortable. First diesel, had a V-10 F250 Superduty. I am happy so far, so is the family."

Best work truck with more options ever

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I've had the truck about 15 months have 36k miles on it and has given no major probs pulls what ever i pull behind it great the only thing i wish was better was the fuel economy. About $800 worth of upgrades and i can fix that and go from 15mpg to about 21."

Great vehicle!!

By on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Pros: "User friendly, easy to drive."

Cons: "my only con is buying the other 2 hd's"

"Hello, I have owned all three of these HD monsters, Ford, Chevrolet, and now a Dodge. I like this truck the most, the user friendly Navi to the Reclining back seat, there is no comparison. In March 2011 I bought a new Ford HD that had 6500 miles on it when it got the Ford Death Wobble, I wasted no time getting rid of it, went from towing a tractor to sitting on the Chevrolet lot in less than two hours. I traded it in on the 2011 Chevrolet 3500 HD in September of 2011, great truck until I got 300 miles on it; it blew the first turbo at that point. The navi system thought the truck was still in Michigan and showed me driving through the great lakes. I assured onstar we were actually in Northern California; they still have not made the system work correctly in 6 months. The truck has blown two turbo's a rear differential and an oil pump. It is being repurchased atm. So I needed a new truck, so I went on a whim to the dodge dealer here, and found this truck. All I can say is the interior is softer than my horse saddle; the cab is so quiet compared to the other two trucks. There is plenty of power, there is no break in required with a Cummins unlike Chevy and Ford. The cab is so spacious you can get lost in it. The dashboard is absolutely gorgeous. The stereo system needs no upgrades. The Uconnect works every time unlike the Chevrolet system or the Ford who has a speech impediment. It is totally hands free. The fuel mileage has been around 12 to 18.5 mpg. The ride is like a truck yet soft enough to smoothe out the bumps when going out with the wife and family. The entertainment center is light years ahead of Chevrolet. The truck legs out the long hauls with a 14k trailer behind it. I had a Dodge back in 1996, it was a V-10 that was a lemon in five months, it blew five motors in that short period of time. I swore off Dodge after that, until I drove this truck off the lot on a test drive. All HD trucks have their issues, but this one is my favorite truck. I keep them for 7 years and always trade up; this one might be a lifer."

NOT GOOD

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "STRONG COULD PULL A HOUSE DOWN"

Cons: "BRAKES BAD WINDOWS RATTLE RUFF RIDING TIRES"

"LAST TWO DODGE TRUCKS I BOUGHT IN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD. TOO MANY PROBLEMS FOR NEW TRUCKS"

Much better than the previous 3rd Gen trucks

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Cons: "dpf and egr systems. tranny/convertor"

"Although I liked the body style of the 3rd Gen's (having sold an 07 5.9) a little more than the 4th gen version, the interior is night and day better on the new trucks. I'm still not sold on the 6.7 although my truck is deleted and gets decent mileage. The power and reliability of the 5.9 is still yet to be matched by a 6.7. I do like the 6 spd auto that the 6.7's have, but they are still the weak link in the truck"

does everything I need it to do

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "power and options"

Cons: "a/c recovery after vehicle in direct sun"

"Plenty of power very comfortable"

Good truck, first Ram or Dodge. Good all around.

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

"Great for pulling, engine break is a strong plus. Seats are very good. Good solid truck! ! !"

I am retired gm employee

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Love driving the truck with lots of extras !"

Cons: "We didnt buy one sooner!!"

"I pull my 40' fifth wheel trailer and toyota on tow dolly with this truck and we are totally satisfied with the power and comfort of this truck.We have had several duramax 3500 and always having injector problems and low power in the high wind and hills.The ram eliminates those frustrations and costly repair bills!!! WAY TO GO TOO THE DODGE RAM PEOPLE!!!!"

First RAM Dually, Second RAM truck

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Powerful, feature-rich, comfortable"

Cons: "Gas mileage (of course), won't fit in the car wash"

The new workhorse!

"We purchased this truck to pull our new 38 foot 5th wheel trailer. Since we full-time RV we wanted a truck that was more than a work truck. We sure got that with the Laramie! The interior is extremely comfortable and feature-rich. The ride, while somewhat stiff (it is a 1-ton truck after all) is surprisingly quiet at highway speeds. The horsepower and torque of the 6.7L Cummins power plant are legendary. During the first 1000 miles we are getting 16.5 mpg around town. We haven't towed the trailer yet so we don't know what that mileage is. While we haven't had the truck long enough to rate it's reliability, we are confident that we'll get many years of great service from the vehicle."

The new workhorse!

Beautiful, powerful, comfortable, reliable

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Pros: "Power, power, power. Comfort. Beauty."

Cons: "It will spoil you for any other brand of truck."

"I bought this truck new and have owned it for 2 years. It will pull ANYTHING with ease, even up a steep grade. Very comfortable & quiet. Luxurious. All the gadgets & power points. Fabulous sound system. LOVE the exhaust brake. No DEF needed. This truck is absolutely wonderful. Plan to keep it as long as I need a truck. So glad I traded off my Ford F350 King Ranch for this Ram. Can't beat the Cummins."

Third RAM, first Dually

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Awesome access to the power band, very smooth"

Cons: "Radio controls are not intuitive"

"Traded in my beloved 2012 1500 Hemi for the towing power of this 3500 dually to town our new 42ft fifth wheel. I now feel fully confident that I can tow pretty much anything I want, any where I want. Yes, parking can sometimes be a bit tight. And yes, the mileage isn't that of a Prius...but who buys a 3500 dually for the mileage? It's a TRUCK...it drives like a truck, it rides like a truck and it pulls like a truck. It's surprisingly quiet inside, even under load and the seats are well padded and comfy. Radio controls are not at all intuitive and you can't actually turn the radio OFF (weird)"

Worse truck ever!

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Cheap"

Cons: "Everything"

"First dodge I have ever owned and will be the last! Been in the shop over a dozen times in 2 years. Does not hold up to ranch work. Ford will out pull it any day."

not the best truck ive ever owned, but ill keep it

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "looks cool"

Cons: "chunky plastic interior"

"rides like a dump truck and gets worse gas mileage than the dealer says."

Great Machine For Our Needs

By on Thursday, April 16, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, great looks, decent fuel economy"

Cons: "A few interior rattles, no nav input while moving"

"We are switching from a Class C motorhome to a truck camper and needed a vehicle with a large payload capacity. Modern truck campers can have loaded weights of 5000 pounds or more. Our truck with a 14,000 pound GVWR will more than adequately handle the camper we are purchasing, and has enough engine and braking power for any conditions we might encounter. While overkill for our current needs, I decided to opt for the high output Cummins engine and Aisin transmission in case we ever decide to switch to a fifth-wheel camper. We also wanted a comfortable interior to coddle us on long trips. The RAM 3500 Laramie really fits the bill. Great seats, plenty of storage and a killer sound system. The infotainment system is very up to date. Being a technologist, I can always find some faults with these systems, but this is the best I have seen so far...at least in a domestic vehicle. I have owned two Chevy HD pickups, one gas and one diesel. The RAM is significantly better in essentially every area, particularly in unloaded ride quality and interior comfort. It's nice to be able to listen to the (very excellent) stereo, something that was a chore in the Silverado trucks. For a tow vehicle the RAM really shines. The power folding, pivoting mirrors can be adjusted for a great view. The fifth-wheel prep package is a real standout, with a serious wiring connector in the bed and holes for hitch mounting already prepped. The RAM brand has come a long way. Ten years ago I probably would have never considered a RAM truck. This time around, based on much research and driving, it was the only truck I considered."

first dodge truck ever owned, won't be the last

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "outstanding performance"

Cons: "wish i could have got cooling seats with it."

"just a fun pickup to drive, incredible power, towing or not, mileage for what the truck is, ok, ride, handling, comfort, much better that the Ford 250 4x4 i had previously. very satisfied would buy another in a second, if i had the money....."

Best pickup I have owned

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pros: "Does everthing well"

"I have had Ford, Chevy and GMC. But this Ram is the best one yet. Great Dealer service also."

Real good condition like new

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"Like new"

Great reliable truck

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Power and reliability....always impresses"

Cons: "Bed steel is a little thin"

"Amazing power and has always exceeded my expectations in hauling and towing."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ram 3500 Mega Cab near Honolulu. See local deals