2008 Porsche Cayman

9.5

Based on 92 Ratings for the 2006 - 2008 models.

My favorite car so far!

By on Monday, October 1, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive, very predictable at all speeds"

Cons: "Expensive dealer servicing"

"I've been fortunate enough to be driving sports cars since the mid 1970's. My first Porsche was purchased in 1980, and I have left the brand only once--for a 1992 Acura NSX that I drove for 8 years. All my other Porsches have been 911's, but as we looked at moving into retirement, I wanted to cut back a bit. Reading about the CaymanS I was impressed--I had learned to love mid-engine cars with the NSX for the superior road handling ability. I also really liked the styling of the CaymanS, and the three position hatchback makes it not only easy for cleaning, but also allows a very long configuration for interior storage of sports equipment. A quick test drive documented what the numbers hinted at--with the same engine as my older 996, the lighter weight and mid-engine placement of the Cayman made for quicker acceleration (not as fast as a new 911, of course) and more confident handling at speed than my 911. I get way more compliments on the CaymanS, too! But mostly I have the satisfaction of driving a very quick, comfortable, tight, everyday car with Porsche handling and reliability. Porsche is notorious for focusing on driver functionality and eschewing creature comforts. Not so here. The standard leather seats are extremely firm an confortable without the need for additional lumbar support. We added heated seats when we order from the factory--the only other option we ordered was the bi-xenon brighter headlamps to replace the standard halogens, and these are superb. You have to see the cup holders to believe them. Completely out of sight when not in use, they are extremely well positioned when you engage them. And of course, super light weight--typical Porsche engineering. There have been zero manufacturing defects on this vehicle in the 6 plus years of ownership so far. Based on earlier experiences with Porsche built vehicles, I would not be surprised if this trend continues. We intend to drive this vehicle for at least 10 years, if not longer."

By on Saturday, August 4, 2007

"I've had it for a year. Outstanding handling and acceleration. Gets a huge amount of compliments--everyone thinks that it is a top of the line Porsche. The mid-engine design gives it great balance. With Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires it did great in the snow and with the Pilot Sports it handles like a cup car. Can't recommend it enough as a great value in a sports car. Low maintenance--you change the oil once a year and there are no other service requirements until you hit 100,000 miles. Plenty of room to carry two sets of golf clubs and two suitcases for a vacation trip."

True sports car!!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Handling, sound of the engine, and technology"

Cons: "Very expensive to maintain."

"The only thing I am sorry about owning this car is I waited so long to own one. I have owned so many cars mostly BMW and I failed to test drive a Porsche. This is the best handling car I've owned including my vette and Mustang Cobra. I wake up and I can't wait to drive this car. It is so much fun and the sound of that flat head six and the way it drives like it is on a rail. AWESOME!!! If you are thinking of buying don't waste another minute you could be enjoying this car. BUY IT! The only thing I would recommend is to buy certified pre owned. I am selling my 07 Cayman and buying a Cayman S. Go for it I promise you won't be sorry!"

Best Car I Have Ever Had

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I have had a few cars including 2 Audi S4's (1 with 340hp) and this is the best car I have ever had. It is awesome in the corners with enough power for me and the engine screams above 6,000 rpm. I is also fairly practical and holds quite a bit of luggage or cargo. It is very comfortable on long trips and people comment on it everywhere. It is a beautiful, curvy car and you feel special every time you drive it."

356 Magic found in 2008 Cayman

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"At last, the magic that five 356 gave me during college days that other cars failed to spark. This is the ultimate in pure driving pleasure found in the Porsche allure. It is a bit pricy but that is good in away, in hopes to help keep it unique. The assemble point in Finland was the right choice as the craftmanship is very obvious just sitting in the cockpit soaking it all in. Hopefully she will provide many years of trouble free driving with minimal repair cost (going for extended warranty, recommend internet research this before buying). Did purchase tire/wheel warranty from dealer. Porsche changed 2008 oil change from 20k to 12k with a 2000k breakin period. My Guards red/black w/ 18 S wheels presents one beautiful car. Normal Cayman first choice not into track, fast enough w/ added MPG. Try Normal and S back to back and decide if 8K more is worth the 50HP & break upgrade."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Porsche Cayman near Honolulu. See local deals