2006 Porsche Cayenne

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2003 - 2010 models.

Very fast and handles extremely well

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Pros: "Handling, speed, fun to drive"

Cons: "fuel economy."

"Very fun to drive. The only problems I have had were due to normal wear and tear (i.e. light bulb burns out, headliner sagging) but nothing major, except for one. Porsche installed plastic coolant pipes on pre 2008 models. So I had to spend over $2000 to replace the plastic pipes with aluminum to avoid a breakdown. There is hope that Porsche will offer a recall/settlement for those who had to expense these outside of the normal warranty. The car is expensive to maintain as far as required services but worth it if you want it to last. The only complaint that I have is that gas mileage is bad. But you're talking about feeding a twin turbo engine. I try to drive conservative as to save fuel. Also, because of the turbos, you will occasionally have to add oil. But this is not bad. As matter of fact, a good Porsche dealer will add oil for you for free. The ride is not the smoothest on this model but I can live with it."

Best SUV Ever

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"Bought a MY2004 Turbo in 2005. For some reason, the dealer could not sell it. Got $30K off the sticker! After 4 yrs I now have just passed 80K miles and the SUV still drives like it is brand new. The SUV is solid, and not one thing rattles on the highway doing 80MPH. The car is not much more costly to maintain than any other German performance vehicles. Rotor and pad replaced at 60K miles for $1500, Tires every 25K miles for $1000, and oil changes every 10K miles for $150. I've paid more maintaining ex-Benzes. My only complaint is the distance on the remote control for the 2004."

Not one problem in 4 Years

By on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, excellent in bad weather"

Cons: "None to speak of"

"I have owned this vehicle since new and not one problem in 67,000 miles! The performance is excellent and fuel economy on the highway is a very respectable 20 MPG. The only change I have made is to run Pirelli Scorpions instead of the OEM Contis. I use them year-round and they work well in the rain as well as dry. It gets up my driveway even with 1 foot of snow. The interior has worn well. A little leather treatment on the seats is all it really needs to keep looking fresh. Cargo area is good given the overall dimensions. Overall, this is an excellent vehicle - sporty, comfortable to drive very long distances (I drive 2000 miles over Thanksgiving weekend every year) and extremely reliable."

Moonshiners choice

By on Thursday, August 27, 2009

"I put on the last 15k of the 65k miles driven. I bought it last year just as the 4yr warranty lapsed. I feel like I can still sell it for what I bought it for. For another 10K I could have bought a new FX50 or Jeep GC SRT8 and still not get the same performance, accolades, or long term value. Only repair was replacing pencil coils for $30/cylinder which is par any vehicle. Traction control is outstanding and very appreciated in a winter city (this winter will have studded tires). Even my mom loves driving it because it's mellow and easy to drive. I say it's the moonshiners choice because it can outrun the revenuers, take rough shortcuts and while hauling some product; it is the very best all-rounder."

Hap[py I didn't buy that Mercedes

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "responsive, classy, attention to detail"

Cons: "chugs premium gas, at $!00 per fillup. But yo"

"When I sold my ML430 I wanted to buy a ML500. My friend got me to try the Cayenne S first. Absolutely no comparison. When it comes to response, fit, finish the Porsche stands alone."

2004 Cayenne Strong built and very reliable.

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable, Very good built quality."

Cons: "A bit slow from starting point."

"Have had my 2004 Porsche Cayenne for five years. I bought it used. I had no problems with this car, It drives like a new car. The handeling is great, acceleration is not so good, but sure has power."

By on Friday, September 07, 2007

"This is a beautiful car with outstanding perfomance....But there is always something wrong with it. I have to bring it back to the dealership every few months for serious problems. In my third year they replaced the entire engine because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. You would think I was home free....not at all, the problems have continued so frequently that after 4 years I am considering getting rid of it. I'm heartbroken."

Unbeleivable Power and amazing cruiser

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

"I bought my Cayenne Turbo (04) in Feb this year (13) with 150k on the clock after selling my 05 Range Rover (which had constant issues with electrics). Ive ran the car to 171k and it's not skipped a beat! yes its a little dated now but EVERYTHING still works, ALL electrics, NAV and Air struts. ive cruised 6k miles in this in the last 4 weeks for work without issue. my only complaint is the lack of a spare wheel in favour of a Bose subwoofer. in july i had a snapped serpentine belt (wear and tear, so no complaint), yes servicing is expensive but if your frugal you can shop around and find a specialist to do this cheap ( the gentleman who sold me my car works as a mechanic for porsche and has a continued to look after this vehicle) in my ownership ive done 3 oil changes using mobile one fully synthetic (a must!!) and had to top up a quart of oil every 5k miles. stay on top of the services and oil changes and this car wants nothing !!! yes its a gas guzzler if u drive it that way, but it is just as refined as a range rover with super car power and speed with amazing high speed handling from an SUV !!! I will be buying another, mine will be coming up for sale soon !!! dont let high miles put you off, just make sure it sounds and drives smooth and the turbo kicks in without blowing smoke out the back, unbeleiveable vehicle."

not your daddy's porsche

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2007

"I bought this car only after MB and BMW dealers were too busy to sell their hyped up products. With the exception of high fuel consumption (can't wait for the hybrid) this car is fantastic. Comfortable, fast, easy to drive. Great HVAC system and the NAV is completely intuitive (I learned it without reading the book). The radio comes on automatically when you select NAV function. Select audio mute to silence the radio while you are in the active NAV mode. The tailgate opens either completely or just the window - nice feature. The instrument and control layout is very different from the Touareg. I prefer the Cayenne. Cayenne is louder inside (engine sound) than the Touareg, but only under full throttle acceleration. Absolutely no unscheduled maintenance issues yet. Too bad we can't crank it up on the interstate because of our poor roads, bad drivers and antiquated traffic laws. I am very sure I will buy another one when I wear this one out."

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"2004 S model w/ 32,000 miles. Average 12 mpg/20 mpg road. Bought the 19" tires to start, then for winter I got 18" wheels so I could get the Pirelli Scorpion. Love the performance, quality, hate to put down the back seats. Gladly buy another one. Positive suggestions- auto headlights, easier back seat lowering, go on a diet/solid feeling but could loss some weight to improve performance."

Great All'Rounder

By on Thursday, August 19, 2010

"This applies to a 2006 Cayenne S Titanium Edition. Purchased as a 2 year old CPO from Porsche dealer. Great set of goodies with the Titanium package (xenon headlights, white faced gauges, two tone interior, lighting, side skirts, exhaust tips, etc.) Driving is like a tall sports car, great. Enough room to stow and transport most items, just don't use it like a second home. 18 months of ownership, so far very reliable. Great in snow, make sure you don"t have summer tires on the car though; all seasons will do. Niggles: engine temperature creeps up when sitting in traffic, but is a known flaw (plastic internal coolant pipes) that should be replaced by dealer while under warranty. Transmission should be better; no problems, but there is lag waiting for upshift or downshift, it seems confused. Have to let the car warm up a bit before it will shift out of first gear when first starting out."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"I bought this certified used 2005 V-6 Cayenne in 2007. Driven by the wife of an MD (according to service records). All services done at the local Porsche dealership. I now have 56,000 miles on it and love it. Quiet on the highway. Ultra stable in sand, mud, snow, and smooth as silk with a heavy load. No squeaks, rattles, or buzzes. Not too big/not too small. Lots of room for 4 large adults on a longer trip. No real problems with anything. Goes through a set of tires every 25,000(ish) miles. Only negatives - wish I'd bought the V-8 for power as the V-6 is a bit sluggish off of the line. Hates stop-and-go traffic - has a tendency to "buck" when chugging along. At cruising speeds, no problems keeping up (or beating) the pace of traffic. I get 16mpg in city driving and 21-22mpg on the highway. Will run on cheap gas but prefers premium (same gas mileage but better performance with premium). Generally ugly appearance seems to intimidate slower drivers on the road so they get out of your way. Once out of warranty you will want to take it to a non-Porsche shop for service as Porsche charges outrageous prices for parts and labor. I will seriously consider trading this in (down the road) on the new hybrid Cayenne or on a Cayenne GTS. Would love the Cayenne Turbo but prices are rather stiff for that beast."

By on Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Great Vehicle. Bought 2004 when launched. After 5 yrs of ownership - I must admit it is a great vehicle overall. Had few issues with onboard computer, airbag sensors - other than that - it is a great piece of engineering. Love it - will stick with Porsche for a while. Mileage not so great - average on a 5000 mile vacation was 16.7 driving in all kind of road/traffic/weather conditions."

I feel like the quarterback

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I have had many very nice cars over the years, including BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi. I love my Cayenne Turbo more than anything! The power, performance, styling, SUV capabilities, make me feel like the Super Bowl Quarterback that just won the MVP award! I bought an '04 just about 8 months ago, for 1/2 the price of a new one. The look is the same, the performance 98% the same, and a great buy after a couple of years depreciation!"

This is my favorite vehicle

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Having owned only foreign cars, the Porsche Cayenne is my favorite! Grew up with MGBs, MGBGTs, Jags, 2 944s and a 911 with a whaletail! Eventually moved to Mercedes for 18 years. Last year test drove and bought my 2006 Porsche Cayenne. It is black with dark gray interior and it is a 'head stopper.' More people have commented on this car than any other I have owned. I have not had one problem with it. The engineering, finishes are all superb. It is a joy to drive and corners so well you forget you are in an SUV. Just go test drive one and fall in love!"

Finest vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Much more vehicle for the money than others."

Cons: "Service costs are high, but with longer intervals."

"Never really paid attention to the Cayenne until I was talked into driving one right after driving an Escalade. Unbelievable! Handles like a sports car, goes ANYWHERE in the snow with locking differentials, gets good gas mileage for how fast and sporty it is. Bought it as a CPO with full warranty at the same price as much lesser SUV's. It's a blast."

Great Vehicle

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"Bought an '04 S with less than 12K miles over two years ago and could not be more pleased with the vehicle. This is the perfect SUV. Yes it is a little pricey to maintain but it is such a pleasure to drive that you forget the costs. If you are in the market for a Luxury SUV be sure to test drive the Cayenne."

Classy all around SUV

By on Thursday, May 29, 2008

"I bought my 2006 Porsche Cayenne S used with 6000 miles. I Had it for a year and put 10000 miles on it and just recently sold it. I only lost $6k on the deal. So, it kept its resale value. The car handled nice and sounded aggressive when it moved. I had no issues with the car and only took it in once for an oil change ($200). Its expensive to own one of these but very classy and thumbs up at the country club. It is a very reliable SUV, but like all others and with gas at $4/gallon, I was filling her up at $85, and she eats it up like your favorite candy. Overall, I recommend the Porsche Cayenne S. If you can afford one, get one. And get the Cayenne S, not the base Cayenne---- real slow, doesn't move and the base ones have bad resale values."

Great look, but not as agile as X5

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Throtle response is slow, not as agile as X5 Eats gas much more than X5, but everything else is BETTER than X5. I average 14MPG with V8 vesus 18MPG on X5"

2005 Cayenne Turbo - There is NO Substitute!!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Fast, Nimble and a Great Looking SUV"

Cons: "Very Low MPG... 13 mpg in the burbs.. ;-("

"I bought this SUV (2005 Cayenne Turbo) when it was four years old with 45K miles and it now has 72K miles after 4 1/2 years owning it. Spectacular SUV to own.. Faassast, nimble and definitely a Porsche... You WILL get noticed in this vehicle.. I have a triple black with 20" TechArt Wheels.. Very reliable (knock on wood ;-).. have only replaced the basics and like all Premium brands, the maintenance can get pretty pricey - but we all know that going in right? Only drawback is mileage.. I live in the Chicago burbs and I barely get 13 MPG of mostly suburban driving. Overall I highly recommend this SUV.. buy one!!!"

Best truck ever

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "great truck, huge towing capacity, fast and fun"

Cons: "gas mileage (its a pig)"

"Huge towing capacity, plenty of power, luxury interior (get the full leather interior), Bose sound, monster in the snow, fun in the dry. Get one."

Cayenne Turbo

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "FAST, fun and the top of the hill"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance and acquisition cost"

"This is one awesome vehicle and an absolute joy to drive! With the 20" turbo wheels and al the options available there is almost nothing that can touch this vehicle in all areas including driving, performance, quality, ride and appearance. As a long time Porsche owner I am used to the higher than average costs for maintenance. The Cayenne is no different and would shell shock those who are not used to these costs. Outside of that there is little to fault with the CTT. I absolute love driving it and compare that to driving a 911 Turbo, X5, Mercedes E63 AMG as current rides. It is a personal favorite of mine. Overall the car is excellent and I would highly recommend it to those looking for a super car in and SUV!"

By far the best SUV on the market

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable ride /sports car feeling"

Cons: "Turning light bulbs burn out to often"

"The vehicle has over 120,000 miles and feels like only 40,000 miles, most vehicles with this Mileage would start to get tired. All around a great car!"

Hot

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"I've had my Cayenne for 4 years and I still LOVE it. The style is in a class all of its own. I have the fifth wheel on the rear. It took me a minute to get used to it, but now I would not have it any other way. It stands out among all the other Cayennes because most other owners did not choose this option. I have not had any major or minor problems with this vehicle. Before I bought this vehicle I drove Range Rovers for 15 years and I wanted a change. I miss my rovers but I wouldn't do anything different if I had to do it all over again. The difference is you sit up higher in the rovers. The Cayenne was a good buy for me. I plan to buy a new vehicle next year and I have not made up my mind if I want to upgrade my Cayenne or go the the G500 Mercedes."

WOW

By on Sunday, January 02, 2011

"The turbo S is a blast. cant keep my foot off the gas. have owned all versions except the 6 cyl. turbo and turbo s are very fun to drive. gas and tires are a bummer but who cares with 520bhp and 0-60 under 5 seconds."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Porsche Cayenne near Honolulu. See local deals