1998 Pontiac Bonneville

Based on 325 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Buying cars since 1974. 2nd best car I ever owned

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "Look at complete review, below."

Cons: "Did you read below, didn't see any didja?"

"An amazing car. Plenty of power, yet 32 mpg on the interstate with a 3.8L v6. Leather interior and still smells good. Handles, steers like a lighter vehicle but still beefy enough to not get blown around by semis. Quiet interior. Very good suspension and smooooooothe ride. Good 360 visibility. One of the biggest mistakes GM ever did was to discontinue the Pontiac line. Don't believe me? Just look at how many Bonnevilles and Grand Prixs are still on the road and look good, too. What were they thinking? Bad GM. Naughty GM."

By on Friday, November 9, 2007

"Own a 1997 that I bought in 2001 with 38,000 miles, now has 100,000 miles. Major parts that I had to replace were transmission, ignition coils, intake manifold twice!, gas tank level transmitter."

Bought new in 1999, loaded

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pros: "Great 1st, 2nd, or 3rd car, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior is breaking down"

"I've kept my Bonnie maintained and she hasn't let me down. Just replaced the radiator and the thermostat. Otherwise, typical maintenance costs. I had my mechanic replace my spark plugs and harness as part of a 5 year maintenance last month, and he told me that the engine is in excellent shape, and it still has great pick-up and go. It has started to hesitate or slip a bit when under load going up a hill, so Bonnie is going to AAMCO for a diagnostic. Even so, I got 25+ mpg when I drove to Panama City Beach in January this year! The only issues I have is with the interior. This car cost over $27000 when I bought it; it was considered the luxe model. Thirteen years later, the headliner needs to be replaced, the cosmetic cover on the button on the column (that you press to get out of P) came off (but the button still works), some of the door lights lens have fallen off, the auto-lock on the doors via key fob and interior switches and the interior lights work sporadically (really, no rhyme or reason to it), the trunk release only works via the driver side door button (not on the fob, and not with the key), and the key fob cannot lock/unlock the doors. I suspect that there is an issue in the computer circuit board and possibly the fob. Since I feel it is a safety issue, the computer issues will be next on my list to fix. The interior has been in decline for the past few years. first my cup holder's clips broke, but I could get it to stay on as long as the console was latched, then the console latch broke, so no cup holder. HA -- I stuck the cup holder in the open console. TA DAH! Cup holder! Still, Bonnie needs to have some dignity in her middle age, so I'm going to get the cosmetic/safety issues fixed after the transmission. When will I let Bonnie retire? If I ever have to drive it more distance in traffic every day. I currently work at home, and at most, I get out for lunch or appts maybe twice a week, so I can't see having a car payment setting in the driveway, rarely driven. But even so, if I have addressed any issues, and if I continue to keep her maintained, who knows how long the Bonnie will last?"

for the age...

By on Sunday, August 2, 2015

Pros: "old, hard to find parts for,"

Cons: "reliable steady always crunks and goes"

"For the age of my car its very reliable and has been really good to me its very hard to find cosmetic parts for her but other then that she always cranks and goes when i need her to!"

They need to bring this one back!!!

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Reason: Parents bought me a brand new car

Pros: "Size, Ride, Good gas millage"

Cons: "Power window will not last long"

"My family bought a brand new Bonneville 1989. I started driving it everyday when I was in highschool in 1995. This car is as strong as they come. The style was good but the reliability of the car was unreal. I took the car with me to college in Washington D.C. some of the worst traffic in America and it never let me down. I had a few 20 hour road trips it never failed me. The car had a smooth ride also. Very good on gas also. All said and done if my parents wouldn't have bought me a brand new car who know's how long I would have kept this car. My parents bought it in 1989 and we sold it in 2001 you can't ask for much more in a car. They really should have kept making this car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Pontiac Bonneville near Honolulu. See local deals