1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette

8.2

Based on 275 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Good reliable comfortable and dependable

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "safe roomy reliable"

Cons: "some electrical problems - easy to fix for most do"

"This van is comfortable and roomy for a family of 4. The kids love the captain chairs, and they have their own radio controls. We've been all over in this van and it has never failed us."

Love it desite some problems

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"I have the 2000 Olds Silhouette Premiere and as for the intended use of the van it is perfect! I've had this for 7 years. We have2 kids lwho love the back seats...can watch videos or hook up the PLAYSTAION for long trips. Ride is comfortable and has plenty of power for highway driving. Van has 86000 miles and a few problems so am trying to decide if I want to get a new one or dump some money in this and keep it. I see nothing on themarket now that is as good except for the Honda Odessy Touring or Maybe the Buick Terraza. I like this olds better so will invest in repairs and hope I get several more years. I've had to replace the A/C comressor, address flickering interior lights and deal with transmission shifting. Recently had to fix a head gasket. Spent more than 4k in repairs over and above normal maintenance but this van is worth it for the comfort and style. I'll try to keep it for another 80K miles as long as no more major repairs come up. Looking at traction control and abs problems now. I've owned BMW, Cadillac, Jag, Olds, Honda, Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick and for my family travels (games, vacations, groceries) this is the ride of choice! If you can find one in good condition...have a mechaic look at it and get a car fax...then buy!!"

great mini-van

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "great van for the money"

Cons: "do not make them anymore"

"owned now for 8years,just replaced the struts and rear air shocks put the nice ride back in it. everything has held up well, paint looks good interior looks like new.18 to 20 mpg city,25 to 28 hwy, no problems in all these years just normal maintence"

love it

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"Have owned our 02 Silhouette since it was brand new. Has 125,000 miles on it now, but is runs great. Have had no issues with it beyond routine maintenance. Kids love it. Is comfortable for 7 people. Everything on it still works great - the built in air compressor in the back is great when trying to blow up toys at the beach, and for the occasional low tire pressure. Has been in Florida in hot heat, and in W. Washington cold and back and forth between the 2 states many times. A great vehicle. Hate to sell it and move on..."

2002 Silhouette Premiere

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Okay - we all know this is a minivan (aka grocery getter)...but, if you have to find one that you like, this is definitely it. All power options, and, my Premiere has the dvd player as well (the kids, and I, when I ride back there with them) love it! Only wish it had come with an available sunroof - that would have been great. Engine, tranny, suspension, etc. are all very good, and self leveling system/air compressor get used many times over without fail. Dual power doors are great. Controls are all easy to use. Radio with cd and tape are convenient, and somehow, this radio seems to pick up some very distant stations - must be the combination of the external antenna and shape of the vehicle or something...I have taken the family on MANY trips over the last 5 1/2 years, many over 1000 one way, and no issues. The leather seats and flexibility of how they can be configured are nice. The front seats are powered and heated, and the back captains seats recline nicely. I did have to replace an A/C condenser (just out of warranty - ouch) this year, and the rear A/C went out once (a switch?), then, another time, it did not get cold until I played with it a little bit (again, 5 1/2 yr old minivan - what do you want, a BMW?). The only 3 "real" gripes I have are: 1. The dash lights seem to burn out occasionally, and the only way to repair is with a new gauge package, which can be costly; 2. The other switch lights seem to go out from time to time as well, which are less costly, but, inconvenient; 3. The engine, since new, sounds like there is " a bag of marbles loose in the cylinders", until fully warmed up. But, again, this is 5 1/2 years later, and there has never been a problem, and the noise does go away in about 5 minutes after start-up. I have been told by various service centers and dealerships (I checked to make sure I wasn't getting shanked) that this is "normal" and does not mean there is anything wrong. After 78k miles, I agree. I keep my vehicles clean and detailed, for the most part, so this van looks like new when clean. Oil consumption and maintenance are about average. If in the market, I would first recommend a CarFax report, a dealer inspection, then, BUY ONE! Whether you are looking to sell, or, looking to buy, the price seems "right". Enjoy!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Oldsmobile Silhouette near Honolulu. See local deals