2000 Oldsmobile Alero

7.1

Based on 827 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10

2nd Alero

By on Saturday, October 27, 2007

"The '04 is the second we purchased. It is truly a different car than the '02---faster, more "sporty" but harsher ride, fewer MPG and features---4 speakers rather than 6 on the '02 and a totally differnt feel--more "sporty" and fun to drive. It was purchased used in Feb, '05 w/19,000 miles on it---currently has just turned 42,000. It was a GM Certified Used Car and that added miles and time to the standard warranty. Problems have been consistant---three radio/cd player replacements, all four window regulators have been replaced, windshield side moulding have been replaced at least twice and there have been a few other problems including interior trim tabs breaking, radio not turning off as it should when the ignition is off and the door opened, etc. At least we're on-record as having these problems and the dealership where it was purchased has been relatively easy to work with---so far. Now out of warranty (I did not buy the over-priced dealer-pushed extended warranty and wonder now if I should have), I'm willing to put in some $ but if it develops additional problems that are not cheap to fix, away it goes. I bought it as a "throw-away" paying under $10K knowing Olds was closing down and it wouldn't be worth much in trade. We liked the looks of the Alero over that of the Grand Am GT. Still, my son loves it, feels comfortable and safe in it and plans on keeping it for all four years of college...we'll see if it lasts that long. If Olds were still in business, I doubt I'd buy another but for now, our '04 V-6 GL is working for us."

Good car

By on Saturday, July 11, 2009

"Got this car after i wrecked a truck. I heard bad things about it but they were wrong. Only things that have gone bad are the blower motor resister and the door speakers. Got the blinker switch replaced under warranty and I did some basic things myself. In think that this is all in all a good car that considering how hard I am on cars shouldn't be running, but still is. If you want a car that will run forever with no problem then buy something else. But this car is cheaap to maintain and very little has broken after 110,000 miles. The 4 cylinder is good on gas and runs strong. An average car that can last as long as you need it to."

A great Car

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Purchased my 02 Alero GL1 New in Sept of 01. Currently have 92000 miles. It has been the most dependable car I've ever owned. Took to dealer ONCE during 5 year 60000 mile warranty to replace a plastic Cap on the drivers seatbelt (after I slammed the door on it!) Replaced front brake pads at 67000 miles, original tires at 75000 miles ( they still had 30 + % tread left, But I was worried they were getting too old), Battery at 82000 miles (0ver 6 years old) and recently had the problem with the defective emergency flasher switch causing the turn signals to operate erratically (fixed under warranty in 30 minutes). Over then oil and fluid changes thats it. Have the 2.2 ecotec four cylinder and average 28MPG with best of 32 and worst of 24. Exterior and interior still look new, no problems whatsoever. Am a neatnik (wife says obsessive-compulsive) and maintain the car. Still a great driver I would highly recommend."

owner

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"bought alero new. second alero new purchase very dependable, pleasure to drive, handles great, lots of power, all wheel traction means no slipping or sliding on wet streets. mpg 22 city 26 hwy. great car!"

Should have passed on it....

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"Basically, the car has been a good one for me, minus the major repairs that this car is known for (intake gasket problem, brakes/rotors, multi-function switch, power windows, wheel hubs). I bought mine about a week before Olds said they were shutting down the brand (Sep. '00), and I probably wouldn't have purchased it if I had known. It's been hard finding parts that aren't exorbitantly priced through GM. Did the major intake gasket repair, which nobody should do voluntarily on an engine. Had the brake/rotor problems and all the associated repairs and constant replacement of said parts. I will probably drive it until it dies, mainly because it was the first car I bought new and I don't believe in continual repairs on a supposedly quality vehicle. I would definitely not buy a used one. The GLS with the 16" wheels runs great in snow and on pavement, but you're out of luck if you drive into wet grass, mud, or off a solid surface. Good luck if you have one or are thinking of purchasing a used one!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Oldsmobile Alero near Honolulu. See local deals