2014 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,827 - $23,390.

10/6.6

Based on 442 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Perfect for an active lifestyle!

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "Great for tall people, good looks, solid as a rock"

Cons: "No defroster in outside mirrors"

"Recently purchased a 2015 Xterra Pro-4X at the beginning of October 2014 here in northeast Ohio. I've always driven Nissan vehicles (since 1992) and never have had problems with them, other than routine maintenance. For example, my current car (which I kept when I purchased the new Xterra) is a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe (made by Nissan in Japan). It now is over 10 years old with over 130,000 miles and runs great. The only issue it has had so far is the electric radiator fan motor died around 70,000 miles. It cost around $750 to replace as the car was out of warranty by then. A month later I received a letter from Nissan stating that they have experienced a higher failure rate than expected for these motors, and to send them the bill for reimbursement. Nissan sent a check in the mail to cover the entire cost, when they didn't have to at all. Anyway, the G35 Coupe is not the best for driving in the snow as it is a rear wheel drive sports coupe. For bad weather and occasional off-road use, hauling my bicycle around, hauling other stuff as needed, and going on weekend camping trips, I purchased the new Xterra. Since I have been a Nissan fan over the years, I purposely spent a lot of time looking at the Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota 4Runner, and Jeeps. None of them had the best combination of off-road capability and on-road driving comfort and utility, and features for the price compared to the Xterra. The Toyota FJ Cruiser is a very cool vehicle, but I did not like the suicide doors (to open the second door requires opening the driver or passenger door first), and the back door opens like a refrigerator instead of being a liftgate. The driving visibility in the FJ Cruiser is far worse than the Xterra. I am tall (6'-3") and do not have to duck my head down to see overhead traffic signals like I had to in the FJ Cruiser. The 4Runner was too long in length and too pricey (great vehicle to be sure). I do not need removable doors or removable roofs and the interior design of the Jeeps did not appeal to me. Jeeps are great vehicles but are overpriced for comparable equipment than the Xterra Pro-4X. I am averaging around 19 miles per gallon city/highway with the Xterra so far, which is a little better than I expected. No issues so far during the first 2,000 miles with the Xterra. This vehicle is solid as a rock with a true body on frame construction. Likes: Looks and doesn't look out of date to me even though this design is 10 years old (metallic blue is the best color), excellent stereo system, navigation, bluetooth, SiriusXM radio with weather and traffic, all buttons are lighted including steering wheel controls, heated seats, wheels look great, good quality BF Goodrich tires, very good fit and finish, everything is easy to use, temp display and compass on auto-dimming rearview mirror, reverse camera, strong heater and A/C, Bilstein shocks, handles amazingly well and steering has perfect feel, comfortable seats, excellent head room for a tall guy like me, good leg room, plenty of cargo capacity, seats fold flat, fits in my garage, shifts on the fly to 4WD without even a clunk (drove in snow the other day), best vehicle for the money hands down! Dislikes: plastics scratch easily, outside mirrors do not have defrosters, overhead vanity mirrors are not lighted, window on rear liftgate can not open- THAT'S IT FOR DISLIKES! This vehicle is perfect for single guys like me who live an active lifestyle. It's not really a family vehicle even though it certainly could do that. If you have little kids, they probably wouldn't even be able to reach the high rear door handles, LOL! Nissan has consistently sold around 1,100 Xterras a month for the last several years, with zero advertising or incentives, for a reason!"

Basic and problem prone

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

"The transmission went out due to a coolant leak into the transmission system. No recall for this issue, but known problem. They did extend the warranty to 80,000, but most fail after that. There was a class action law suit, but only relief was high deductible repairs. No relief over 100,000 miles. Please be aware. It is a basic vehicle with a rough ride. It also started rusting in several locations."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle for the price!"

Cons: "None."

"Handles well. Good power. Still looks new and performs well. I'll buy another when they bring back my color - yellow! Always see it in a parking lot!"

Best SUV out there

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

"There is nothing else that come close to the Xterra except maybe an overpriced Forerunner or Wrangler. It is the best looking, safest, and most reliable SUV you can buy, period. It is quite a value as well with gas prices going lower. My 2007 still turns heads with the streets full of Minivan-looking pretender "SUVs" in an overly politically correct world. Nissan has been trying to retire Xterra for years. Its too good to go down without a fight."

Treasure

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "only vehicle I have ever named-says it all."

Cons: "no lock on glove box"

"This is the vehicle that I will never sell. I went up from a 2003 to an 05. Engine delivers better. I searched for a manual tranny and found one two states away. It was worth the drive. I get 17-18 mpg city, 21-22 HWY. It is easy to switch in and out of 4WD (I'm in the mountains). I actually towed a friend's 4WD Tahoe out of a foot or two of wet snow with this vehicle, and did so easily. I am a little unhappy that the glove compartment does not have a lock. But that isn't much to complain about. I've owned this Xterra for over 2 years- only needing to do typical maintenance. Yep. I am very pleased with this SUV."

Great/ 2006 Xterra XTE 2WD, Tan/Gold, Reliable

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price, Fun to drive, Will be sad to sell"

Cons: "One cupholder in the back needs repair"

Tires basically brand new

"Xterra XTE 2006 2WD Very Good/ Excellent New Tires less than a year ago Most service records Recent oil change Never needs work/ Runs Great/ Always reliable Mileage 165,539 (all highway miles, owner #1 and #2 were both Sales Reps.) Since both owners were sales reps. all oil changes and services were always maintained promptly Sony Stereo Am/ FM/ CD/ Bluetooth/ Auxillary/ USB Port AC/ Heater/ EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT! Never been wrecked Extra heavy duty rubber mat for back 3 cigarette/ power Hydrolic Jack/ Work Light Xterra Net Safety Kit"

Tires basically brand new

My Next Vehicle Will Definitely Be Another Xterra

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent pep, very reliable"

Cons: "bit of a gas guzzler"

"I have a 2006 Xterra S with some added features (tow package, side rails, cargo cover, cargo grocery organizer, and cross rails) and still love my Xterra like I did when I first brought her home. She's reliable! In her life, I've only ever had to standard maintanence. No reason to have had to take her in to "The Shop". I love this SUV! It's a huge blessing when you need to haul stuff! Fold the rear seats down, take out the cargo extras (if you have 'em) and you have more room than the bed of a small truck! This truck is rugged, yet sexy and sofistocated, and the interior is so quiet, you hear very little road noise, especially in comparison to other SUVs I've ridden in. (Kia, Saturn, & Dodge. As quiet as Chevy/GMC and Lexus!) While this year doesn't have the rear-seat air conditioning (not sure if the new ones do yet) but I've never had a complaint from the back seat about air flow. And Texas Summers can get crazy hot! Even though my sound system is the standard one, it's really pretty good for being a factory radio. I love how it thumps. Although, being an avid music lover, I would prefer a sound system upgrade. Did I mention she still captures my eye? I love how this SUV doesn't look like the others. It doesn't read soccer mom at all! The only issues I have is the front left tire pressure gauge quit working 3 years ago and she can be a bit of a gas guzzler, which can make long commutes more expensive. (53 miles round trip 5 days/wk) I made a vow that I would keep my Xterra for at least 10 years and she's well on her way to meeting and exceeding that goal! If for any reason I decided to buy a different vehicle, my next vehicle will still be the Nissan Xterra. Love it!!!!!"

Powerful When Needed

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Competitive price, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Seat comfort, excessive speed in 1 Low"

"The Xterra S series had the hauling capacity we needed to build a home, the power needed to get up mountains weekly for skiing and hiking, and the lower price we wanted to pay compared to similar SUVs. While building our home in another town, I was returning to our current home alone late on a winter night. I was almost to the top of a mountain pass at 10,000' or so and had to pull off to relieve myself. Because there was 3' of new snow I could not see the deep ditch I pulled into until it was too late. The Xterra was banked at quite an angle. I attempted to pull forward a few times but the off-road front tire could not jump the embankment. After a moment of panic and review of my options, I threw the Xterra into 4 Low, gunned it in reverse and spun the steering wheel so the back tires could jump the embankment. This was risky because if it didn't work my front tires would now be in the ditch. But it worked! Strangely enough the front and rear tires had enough power to push me out but not pull me out. Being a female by myself in this remote area under these conditions late at night was scary, buy my Xterra got me out of this bind for which I'll be forever grateful. There are lots of useful gadgets on the S model that help with hauling, tying down, getting in, reorganizing, etc. Highly recommend Yokihama Geolander ATS tires for this car for all season/all terrain use. Items I've noticed that need improvement: 1) The seats, as usual like in 99% of cars, are very uncomfortable on both seat and back. The only car seats I've ever thought were comfortable in both front and back seats were my 1998 Aurora and 2005 Cadillac. I don't understand why manufacturers cheat on the comfort of seats and backs considering they are used 100% of the time. We are now looking for replacement seats by another manufacturer to improve comfort after using seat cushions and lumbar inserts for eight years. 2) While the Xterra has great traction, control, and clearance, when descending steep grades and using 1 Low to reduce speed and use of brakes, the Xterra still wants to speed up to about 20mph-too fast on steep grades and curves. The engine should slow the car down to 12mph max so the driver can control the Xterra without brakes."

Fun to drive but few options available

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, power, 4WD system, fun to drive."

Cons: "Few options, liftgate doesn't split"

"Pretty much a bare bones car. Has good power and excellent 4WD. But luxury options are few. No sunroof available for example. Very reliable though. Nissans are known to last. The fact that the liftgate doesn't split can be annoying. There are plenty of cubby holes for storage. 6 cup holders in all is very helpful. 2 glove boxes also comes in handy. Not the best mileage however."

Great get up and go power for all terrains!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling on all terrains."

Cons: "More durable upholstery."

"Great handling SUV but not friendly at the gas pump when driving the hills and mountains of VA. It has a recall for radiator to transmission mixing r/i transmission failure. We had that problem fixed. Nissan needs to put more durable upholstery in this SUV as the seats wear too quickly. Overall a good car."